Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a XD Tactical 40S&W and every so often it dosen't go into battery. Most often during a match like this passed Saturday at the MN Sectional (3 times). I read on the Don's guide rod thread about this same kind of problem, and was wondering if going with a heaver spring was the only way to solve this? Some history on the gun. Picked this up to shoot Production class, so that my 4" could go back to a carry gun. When I got it I shot about 100 rounds through it and sent it to Rich, and he did a great job on it. The only other thing I did was one of Don's guide rods with a 16# spring, and it shoots great, and thats why I don't realy want to change to a heavier spring. It shot fine then I started to have what I thought were miss fires, most likely high primmers,but clearing jams in a match you can't always find the round you cleared. After this happening a few more times I found out it wasn't the ammo. This will happen when the gun is dirty or clean, and an RO pointed out that it seamed to happen following reloads ( He was the RO on a couple of stages when it happened ). I even put the factocy spring and rod back in, and it did it again, and that was the last straw.

If the only fix is a heavier spring I'll just do it and learn how to shoot all over this winter. So any ideas? :?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
My two suggestions:
Try the original guide rod and spring, see if the problem continues.
Make sure the slide rails are well lubricated. I have found that dry rails can affect both feeding and extraction.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
With a lighter recoil spring on a hard reload can cause the slide to move back slightly. When the trigger is pulled the slide will close and the firing pin block safety will stop the FP. With the 40 a #18 spring is the best weight to use. You said it happened with the stock rod and spring after switching was it after a reload?
Rich

·
Registered
235 Posts
If this problem occurs during re-loads there's a good possibility that increased upward pressure on the slide from a fully loaded mag, is causing a "dragging" effect on the slide as it travels forward. When you insert a loaded mag, is it difficult to get it to lock into place? This is one amongst many problems I've encountered with my XD as well. What happens is, as the mag spring tension decreases, the drag on the stripper at the underside of the slide decreases as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Guys- when we bought Peg's XD40 a couple of years ago, I noticed the rounds hanging up slightly, on the top of the feed ramp, when I would hand-cycle reloads through the magazine. I examined the top of the feed ramp where it meets the chamber, and found a sharp corner there- with brass transfer on it. Looking at the cases of the rounds that I had hand-cycled through the gun confirmed my suspicion.

I took a very FINE (600) piece of emery cloth and wrapped it around a piece of 1/8 rod, and chucked it in the Dremel. I then BARELY broke the sharp edge, and the problem disappeared. It has since fed every in-spec round that has been thrown at it.

You have to go very slow and careful- if you take too much off, you will compromise your chamber support (one of the real advantages of the XD over the Glock) and you just might have a case-head failure. KaBoom.

Do NOT screw this up if you try it. Or, you could just send it back to Springfield "We Won't Sell You A Part Anymore" Armory and ask that they check for this problem, ad correct it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's another possibility as well however, fired cases will not always show the same charistics as cases that've been fired by hand. Aside from internet rumor and gossip, the XD has -0- advantage over the Glock. Out of spec re-loads can and will (eventually) make any gun "ka-boom".

·
Registered
235 Posts
Correction: I meant to say...fired cases don't always show the same charactaristics as hand cycled rounds. Sorry, typo :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
When I've seen this happen, it was a lube issue.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Out of spec re-loads can and will (eventually) make any gun "ka-boom".
Not quite... I have shot bucket loads of "out-of-spec" ammo through various handguns-loaded on the low side of the power spectrum. I was referring to exterior dimensions, not powder charges.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to touch back with everyone that tried to help, so here goes.

The gun feeds fine so I don't think that it's the feed ramp, and I had already polished it so it should OK.

When I was talking about "after the reload", that would be when the gun cycles strips one out of the mag and the slide is foward, then that mag is ejected and a full one inserted, and that is when it didn't fire. As far as I know anyway.

As far as the lube issue it has happened dry, well oiled, dirty, and clean.

So I think I will keep trying heaver spring until this stops, or I can't pull the slide back anymore.

And just so you all don't think I'm down on XDs my service model works 100% of the time, and I'm looking for a XD40 SC.

So thanks to everyone for your help

·
Registered
268 Posts
Two things it might be. The most likely cause is to light of a spring. 16# is light. i shoot a 20# spring and i love it in my .40 Tactical. Also i had a few problems just like you did. I was shooting hard cast 155grn SWC bullets. I had a few problems so i decreased the OAL and it got worse so i went longer and it got better. I went a little longer still and it went away entirely. Check out these two things. If your OAL is to short its to sharp of an angle when it hits the top of the chamber. a bit longer and it cuts down on the angle when it hits the top of the chamber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this problem occurs during re-loads there's a good possibility that increased upward pressure on the slide from a fully loaded mag, is causing a "dragging" effect on the slide as it travels forward. When you insert a loaded mag, is it difficult to get it to lock into place? This is one amongst many problems I've encountered with my XD as well. What happens is, as the mag spring tension decreases, the drag on the stripper at the underside of the slide decreases as well.
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but I was having this exact problem. I figured that I needed a stronger recoil spring. I sent the gun to Springfield and just got it back today. It shows that they polished the feed ramp, and cleaned the firing-pin channel, but didn't mess with the spring.

I stuck a loaded mag in the gun, chambered a round, then pulled the slide back out of battery about 1/8 of an inch, and it stays there. When I've tried the same test with a Glock, the spring pulls it back into battery. I don't know if they all do that or if this one just had a stronger spring, though.

Did you ever find a fix for your issues?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestions on what areas you may want to look at. One is to look closely at the top of the breech block where it engages the ejection port. Pull the slide and look at the front and rear edges of the ejection port where it engages the breech. If you see some galling in this area that indicates that you have a slight interference fit condition which is causing excess friction as the barrel comes into battery. If this is happening, send the gun into Springfield with a note of your observations. Correcting this ill require that the breech be hand fitted to the slide and that is something that is best left to Springfield.

Second, run your finger along the underside of the fixed ejector post on the frame. If you feel a burr at the tip you'll find that your cartirdges will have a gouge that has been cut into them by this burr. Removing the burr and adding a very small radius in this area will solve the problem and minimize it coming back. However, do not make that radius any larger than 0.015 inches or you may find yourself trading feed problems for ejection problems. I would also recomend that any radiusing of this surface only be done by hand with a diamond hone, using a Dremel may result in too much material being removed which can cause a change in the ejection throw.

You'll also want to take a lose look at the fixed ejector, if it looks like it may have been bent, you may want to send the pistol in to Springfield to have it corrected. Bent fixed ejectors is why Springfield specifically states that the magazines should NOT be slammed into place, especially when the slide is locked back. If you want to know why, just insert a loaded magazine in your frame with the slide off the pistol, you'll quickly see that the top round can get pushed into the fixed ejector with enough force that it can be bent. When the slide is forward the stripper will act to protect the fixed ejector, when it's locked back that ejector has no protection at all.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just wanted to touch back with everyone that tried to help, so here goes.

The gun feeds fine so I don't think that it's the feed ramp, and I had already polished it so it should OK.

When I was talking about "after the reload", that would be when the gun cycles strips one out of the mag and the slide is foward, then that mag is ejected and a full one inserted, and that is when it didn't fire. As far as I know anyway.

As far as the lube issue it has happened dry, well oiled, dirty, and clean.

So I think I will keep trying heaver spring until this stops, or I can't pull the slide back anymore.

And just so you all don't think I'm down on XDs my service model works 100% of the time, and I'm looking for a XD40 SC.

So thanks to everyone for your help
Using a lighter spring than standard with regular loads can damage your gun. It causes excessive battering of the slide and frame. Best stick to regular or extra power springs unless you are shooting reduced loads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as an update, it appears that Springfield did more to my gun than I realized. I took it to the range and it flawlessly put a whole box of ammo downrange, plus 10 rounds that I had left over from last time. Last time, I had this malfunction maybe 4-6 times during the 40 rounds that I fired.

When I got home and took the gun apart for cleaning, it appears that the front rail/locking block has definitely been replaced, and that the ejector has possibly been replaced as well. I see now that on my invoice it shows "Xtreme duty 9mm locking block". I thought that this was referring to the green plastic plug that was in the chamber when they shipped it back. :-o Not sure why that's listed as 9mm when the gun is a 40.

It feels to my like the recoil spring is stronger, but, that may just be because I'm looking for differences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts