Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i recently experimented with my xd.45acp 5inch tactical in that i wanted to see how many rounds i could shoot before i had a ftf or ejection problem. i shot everything from 185gr custom hp to 230gr ball ammo and was able to get 813 rounds thru my xd before a ftf occured. i had absolutely no ejection problems only ftf at the 813 round mark. i cleaned the pistol then took it back to the range. now ever since my experiment i am having numerous ftfs(failure to feed)with all ammo. again no ejection problems. anyone have any suggestions? incidently my new 6inch para in 45acp had ftfs right out of the box.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Did you take the mags apart and clean them? I would think you might have a hunk of stuff holding the follower. You could even have a bent mag lip.

One question. When you cleaned the pistol, did you take the striker physically out of the slide and clean the striker channel with a Q-tip and solvent? Nother question, have you ever oiled the striker? You could have a pile of powder residue mixed with oil that turned into gooey gunk in there that is keeping the striker from returning. That would allow the firing pin point of the striker to bind the next round as it is fed.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
What kind of FTF? Rounds getting stuck on the feed ramp, going into the chamber, hung up in/on the mag, double feeding, etc? Pic of the situation? Both FMJ and HP getting stuck in the same place? First round, 3rd, last round, etc? Same mag or in multiple mags?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never oiled a firing pin,or striker unless it was in one of my ar,s and occasionally my ak,s not that they need any oil(the ak,s). and yes i am quite meticulous with my cleaning habits two types of q-tips regular and the 6inch stick type and only use any type of lubricant on wear areas and that is quite minimal. the ftf,s are occurring at various times sometimes first round only and last round only (which would be indicative of some type of mag failure ie weak springs etc) but will occur during slow fire or rapid never know its random but frequent and involves the round jamming against the top of the chamber and sometimes denting the case as well as deforming the tips of hp ive tried some reloads loaded from minimal to maximum length and it doesnt seem to matter. the ftf,s occur first round 5th round last round etc. etc. i own several xd,s 9,.40 .357 some ported etc. and my .45acp all have run like scalded dogs love em! this is first problem ive incurred. new mags old mags doesnt seem to matter. i have tried 7 diff mags new and broke in

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
involves the round jamming against the top of the chamber and sometimes denting the case
That piece sounds like extractor tension if the top of the chamber is clear of burs or grooves. The denting the case bit is strange since the only part of the case that should be making contact with anything prior to chambering is the back of the case or the rim. Multiple mags makes a mag problem unlikely. Have you tried any factory ammo to eliminate your loads as the issue?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Any after market parts?

Picture of the breech face would help.

How many total rounds does the gun have?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
From the description, I tend to agree with Agalindo. Look for something preventing the base of the cartridge from smoothly sliding up the breech during feeding. This would tip the front of the cartridge up. Roughness, debris, wear ridge, even protruding striker pin (dirt, damaged rebound spring, etc). Polish breech with 600-800 grit (or higher) emory on a flat block backing. Examine, remove and clean striker. Check for proper movement. Possibly very damaged rims of reloads are catching at the breech.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks for the input. what ive done.. polished the chamber and feed ramp with brownells. that seems to have cured the situation. i have put about 300 rnds through since polishing and not one FTF. by the way the FTF,s occured with factory ball ammo and reloads it didnt seem to matter.situation seems to be taken care of for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts