Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the range on tuesday, I put approximately 150 rounds downrange through my XD 40 Had 4 FTE's (case was partially pulled from the chamber, slide stopped at the next round attempting to feed.) I realize this may just be an issue of dirt in the extractor, since this NEVER happened before and I have several thousand rounds through my XD, It also may be the latest batch of WWB ammo I was shooting. I was shooting 165gr 100 round packs.

Anyway my question is, has anyone else experienced FTE's recently with WWB ammo in .40?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had WWB give me hell one time at the range. It usually ran perfect, I had about 500 rnds of it before and then I had FTE and feed every 3rd round. I then ran 200 rnds of UMC flawless right after. Here is what fixed mine: Take off the slide and put in a full mag. Now look straight down onto the gun and look to see how close the slide lock release nipple thingy is to your bullets in your mag. My nipple thingy was actually touching my WWB rounds when I would wiggle the mag. To fix it i just shaved the nipple down a tad and it worked perfect. Springfield says they use the same slide lock release on all calibers. Hope you figure it out.
I've heard this is a rare case but it can't hurt to check. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The slide lock release notch hitting .40 rounds that feed from the left (every other one) has been discussed before.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shaving this down fixes the slide from locking back prematurely on a partially spend magazine it does not cause a FTF since if the bullet hits the slide release notch(nipple thing), instead of the magazine follower as is suppose to happen, it would cause the slide to lock back which would in turn prevent the slide from even attempting to strip the next round from the magazine. Making it impossible for that malfunction to cause a FTF.

None of this would cause a FTE which is what was the original posters problem was. From what I understand the only FTE causes are extractor issues i.e. tension/dirt/broken, and limp wristing. I suppose a light powder load or too stiff of a slide spring could also cause FTE.

Drew mentioned that the slide stopped at the next round attempting to feed i.e. a FTF however he also mentioned the previous case was only partially stripped from the chamber meaning an FTE. The FTE is the problem not an FTF as you will always have a FTF with a FTE.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was definetly a failure to Extract that was happening... I didn't have any other rounds... But like I said I've never had a problem like this before but it's also been a long time since a thorough cleaning of the extractor area... I'm thinking it's a combo of dirty extractor and crappy WWB ammo... I'll clean it good and take out some blazer brass next week...

·
Registered
463 Posts
wJAKE19 said:
I have a question, have you ever droped a round in the chamber, by hand, and released the slide on the round?

if you did, you may have bent the extractor.
That can bend the extractor? I do that all the time. I guess it makes sense that the extractor could get bent slamming against a round already in the chamber, I just never thought about it. Gently letting the slide forward on the round would prevent the extractor from getting bent shouldnt it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wJAKE19 said:
I have a question, have you ever droped a round in the chamber, by hand, and released the slide on the round?

A few times... but not immediately before my FTE's started happening... So I HIGHLY doubt that I bent the extractor... When I did this it was shortly after purchasing the pistol, and my FTE's are several thousand rounds later... I'm not exactly looking for causes... Just wondering if anyone has been having a similar problem with recent batches of WWB bulk pack .40

·
Registered
533 Posts
gunnewb said:
wJAKE19 said:

That can bend the extractor? I do that all the time. I guess it makes sense that the extractor could get bent slamming against a round already in the chamber, I just never thought about it. Gently letting the slide forward on the round would prevent the extractor from getting bent shouldnt it?
letting the slide down on a round in the chamber still may bend the extractor, when the gun is loaded from the mag the round slides under the extractor and never moves it, If you want to load to full capasity load the mag, release the slide, take the mag out and put another one in it. Just to be safe.., I'd hate to hear about a broken XD or even worse an accident that could have been prevented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts