Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had problems with the pistol feeding Critical Defense a short while ago and relegated that ammunition to my M&P Shield that feeds it just fine. Shooting yesterday with some 115 grain FMJ hand loads the pistol started failing to extract and jamming the next round behind it or would pull the empty case from the chamber but the ejector didn't kick the case out. It happened with both the 6 round magazines I had with me. A week ago this same load shot just fine. I always clean under the extractor claw when cleaning the pistol after a range cession. I got this pistol in a trade with a friend of mine. He bought the XDs in 2012 after his first one was stolen. He did advise he shot this XDs a lot while he had it, it was his daily carry gun. He never kept track of the number of rounds fired but was pretty confident is was at least 3000 and probably more. He never cleaned it for thousands of rounds and it always functioned. I gave it a good cleaning before firing it to include the firing pin and channel. I didn't remove the extractor but made sure it was clean under the claw. I can't see any wear on the claw but went ahead and ordered a new extractor and spring to see if that fixes the problem. I don't plan on removing the extractor until the new one gets here. Maybe I'll get lucky and discover it's just grungy under the old one.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Did you look at it with a magnifying glass to make sure it’s all there? Did you slide a case under it to see how well it holds onto it? May be just crap built up underneath it not letting it pivot fully and get a complete grip on the rim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with @HngnHunter make sure to do a detailed inspection of the extractor if you have not done so already. If it is an extractor or extractor assembly issue and there is no visible wear on the extractor, I would tend to think that the spring isn't providing enough normal force on the extractor. If there is significant build up between the extractor and slide that could also be an issue.

That being said, it may not be a bad idea to test different ammunition in the XD-S if you have not done so already. If you were running a factory load recently with no issues and you test it with that same ammunition prior to replacing the extractor assembly and can reproduce the problem then you know that the extractor assembly needs maintenance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the extractor yesterday and it was filthy with carbon deposits and old oil. Cleaned the extractor and it's slot in the slide. I noticed a bit of rough edge on the extractor claw so did some polishing before reassembling it. Off to the club range tomorrow to see if this solved the problem. At the the very least, I will have a backup extractor and spring when and if I need it. Prior to disassembly I noticed I could move the extractor fairly easily with my finger. After cleaning and reassembly the extractor/spring seems stiffer, or stronger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaning the extractor seems to have solved the issues., Shot 50 rounds w/o a hiccup. It actually fed Critical Defense ammo too!? I also shot my M &P Shield with the Critical defense ammo. The XDs is a LOT more accurate with the CD rounds. XDs shot 1.3 inches at 15 yards, Shield was over 5" at same range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the XDs act up again last Friday with two failures to extract during the firing of 80 rounds. My New Extractor/spring arrived Saturday afternoon and was installed. Shot 100 rounds Sunday and extraction failures are gone!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loaded up some 147 grain XTPs over Longshot powder. 4.1 to 4.4 grains. Tested the loads yesterday at the club range. All loads shot extremely well at 15 yards but the best was 4.1 grains that averaged 1.9 inches for 5 shots and an average velocity of 948 fps. I never expected a bullet that heavy to work so well in the little XDs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts