Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new XDm 9mm full size for my girl friend. She has had a continual problem with failures to eject (Stove Pipes). She is very petit 100lbs 5 foot tall. I assume it's a case of limp wristing or not having enough mass behind the gun to function properly. I bought her a 16 lb reduced recoil spring and reduced power stricker combo. It really has not helped resolve the FTE issue. As a note I shot the pistol and did not have any issues. I have only put a mag through it ,but did not experience any FTEs.

Has anyone else had issues with these FTE malfunctions ... Ideas? Anyone wanna trade for a Glock 19..lol

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Show her a good tight 2 hand grip and make sure she holds it tight on each round fired. Don't blame the gun, she just needs to shoot a couple hundred rounds to get used to shooting it. She should be good to go by then.:D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bought a new XDm 9mm full size for my girl friend. She has had a continual problem with failures to eject (Stove Pipes). She is very petit 100lbs 5 foot tall. I assume it's a case of limp wristing or not having enough mass behind the gun to function properly. I bought her a 16 lb reduced recoil spring and reduced power stricker combo. It really has not helped resolve the FTE issue. As a note I shot the pistol and did not have any issues. I have only put a mag through it ,but did not experience any FTEs.

Has anyone else had issues with these FTE malfunctions ... Ideas? Anyone wanna trade for a Glock 19..lol
Has anyone else other than your girl friend fired the weapon to see if the same issue occurs? This may help isolate if it is the shooter or the firearm.

If it is determined to be the firearm, what ammo are you using and have you tried a different brand to see if it makes any difference?

When I first acquired my XDm 9mm it began to shoot and run smoother after about 250 rounds.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
She needs to work on her grip plain and simple.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife had three fte's in my xdm9c her 2nd time shooting it. I blamed her breaking her wrist. I have put 800 thru it withany probs besides her three in one day. I don't know anything abouut changing recoil springs but you said its reduced recoil spring? Would that cause it to be easier to fail to eject?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My brother and his girlfriend went to the range with me the other day. I own an XD-9 in the service size. His girlfriend weighs all of 100 lbs and shot ~150 rounds without a single malfunction. The only real advice i gave her besides the safety rules and general range etiquette was keep your wrists locked or else the gun will jam.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
That would make the gun a bit "flippier". Work on a good two hand grip, thumbs forward. No push or pull just a solid grip

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Get her a lighter recoil spring. My wife is a similar size also.

Lighter than the 16# spring he already put in?

I think it's just practice and learning how to grip firmer. Nothing mystical.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
OP mentioned limp wristing, several posters noted grip, one mentioned wrist. I would also add elbows. Check if she is pushing out to full extension. Not overdone to make her shake, but need full press forward to get a solid bio-mechanical lock.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
OP mentioned limp wristing, several posters noted grip, one mentioned wrist. I would also add elbows. Check if she is pushing out to full extension. Not overdone to make her shake, but need full press forward to get a solid bio-mechanical lock.
Good point (even if I had never heard of a "solid bio-mechanical lock" before)!

One way to check that she is holding firm enough is to have her hold a mag from the gun, like it was the gun. Then you go to the front and give her hands a sharp push like the gun just recoiled. (that's why you don't do this with a real gun - you in front!) Watch her shoulders. (or being a man, you'll probably be watching her breasts:rolleyes:) The shock should be transmitted from her hands to the shoulders (making her breasts bounce - if you were looking there).

If her wrists or elbows flex, she needs to muscle them tighter until the shock is transferred to her shoulders. (It's easier to see if she's topless and remember "pictures or it didn't happen";))

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Not to start a whole grip stance thing here but part of the stance/grip is never to lock you elbows.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good point (even if I had never heard of a "solid bio-mechanical lock" before)!

One way to check that she is holding firm enough is to have her hold a mag from the gun, like it was the gun. Then you go to the front and give her hands a sharp push like the gun just recoiled. (that's why you don't do this with a real gun - you in front!) Watch her shoulders. (or being a man, you'll probably be watching her breasts:rolleyes:) The shock should be transmitted from her hands to the shoulders (making her breasts bounce - if you were looking there).

If her wrists or elbows flex, she needs to muscle them tighter until the shock is transferred to her shoulders. (It's easier to see if she's topless and remember "pictures or it didn't happen";))
This

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Lighter than the 16# spring he already put in?

I think it's just practice and learning how to grip firmer. Nothing mystical.
Yes, if he is going with a reduced power striker spring, he can go lighter on the recoil spring.

A firm grip if it is not a properly applied grip can actually make the problem worse. You need to make sure she is applying pressure through her week hand with the wrist totally locked forward to the bottom front of the grip and a solid strong hand locked in the opposite direction will make her grip a lot strong without having to grip any harder.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I would bet that she is leaning backwards with the pistol out front for balance and to get her face away from the pistol. Especially a smaller person needs to lean forward into the pistol. Get a strong side foot forward, forcing a forward balance, rather than a leaning back, parallel foot stance. No difference in her arm length so face is not any closer to firearm.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I saw this on a gun show a while back. This trainer from the Sig academy had the shooters step on a 2X4 with just the front part of their feet to keep them from leaning back. It also made them lean forward a bit.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I would bet that she is leaning backwards with the pistol out front for balance and to get her face away from the pistol. Especially a smaller person needs to lean forward into the pistol. Get a strong side foot forward, forcing a forward balance, rather than a leaning back, parallel foot stance. No difference in her arm length so face is not any closer to firearm.
Are you sure you meant strong side and not weak side foot?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Is this the first handgun she has shot? I would probally start her out on a 22 and let her get Get proper form down first. It took forever to get my wife to step up to 9mm. Unless she is a bad ass country girl she is probally timid and embarrassed to tell you. Although I think 9mm is a fun plinking round it can be stout for new shooters especially of small stature(sp). Find out if she is triply comfortable with the gun.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
My XDm9 4.5 has FTE'd prolly a couple dozen times as well. It's the only handgun I've ever owned that does this. Never once from my XD45, my M&P9c, or my old Daewoo. I use the thumbs forward grip and am not limpwristing it. Usually used Blazer Brass and prolly still have less than 500 rounds through it. It's been a while since I shot it and need to get back out there with it to test it some more but so far I find it to be less than reliable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts