Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range time was very interesting today -

1 - Roll-pin started coming out. I had to push it back in a few times.
2 - Failure to Feed many times (Speer 155, 165, and 180 grain)
3 - Several times, the pin just struck the primer, but the round never fired. (Is there an acronym for this?)

Adam at Springfield Armory recommend that I return the pistol for inspection.

- They are going to check the size of the roll-pin hole to make sure that it is not too large.
- They are going to check to be sure the roll-pin is not broken.
- They are going to check the pistol for feeding rounds properly.

I have faith that my XD40 will be a good pistol when these issues are sorted out, simply because many of you have had very few problems. However, I'm a little disappointed when comparing it to my Ruger P95. It never had these kinds of mechanical problems (it had ergonomic weaknesses). So my plan is to give the XD another chance after SA looks it over. If they can decrease this little machine's mechanical failure rate, then I will keep it for concealed carry.

Now I wonder if the other semi-auto pistols have these kinds of problems on a regular basis. Maybe it's more normal than I expected.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
The roll pin on my HS had been known to back out occasionally, but a little "non-permanent" Loctite fixed it. Let Springfield iron out your problems, and you will be back in business.
Welcome to the forum. :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have 2 xd's and never have had any of these problems.
but when you produce as many guns they have been in the last few years there is bound to be a few problems, looks like you just got the unlucky one..
keep us informed how springfield's customer service is.

·
Registered
533 Posts
look on the top of your xd, about 1/2 inch behind the chamber indicator there is a pin, the pin is a pice of sheet metal rolled into a circle "roll pin"
notice a hollow pin with a section cut out..

hope I stated it clear, if not someone else will explain it better..

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
RockinAR said:
I have given up on my XD as a carry piece. It's just not reliable enough.
Explain please!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am running into failure to feed problems on a XD40 I got a couple of weeks ago.First time out ,it couldnt put 2 shots back to back on some ammo sold at the range.Picked up a 100 box of the Win white box,it did good on it,Went to shoot yesterday,and Academy was out of the white box 100's.,so I got some Balzer JHP,both my 9MM's like it.The 40 would jam and fail to feed an the last 2 in every mag.I am going to get another box of the Winchester value pack and try it again :( .I am sort of disapointed in the XD40 so far,havent had any fireind issues with either my 9MM sub, or the 9MM service I have.Guess I am going to have to send it in for repair,really cant live with a gun that will only fire 1 brand of ammo.I am going to wait till I get my slide for my service model back from Springfield ,getting it recoated for rust/wear problems.Was told it will ship later this week :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just recently purchased a xd40 tatical and when i took it to the range I had 3 failed to feed out of the 150 rounds I put through it. At the advice of the gun store i bought it from I shot a number of quality reloads in it first (don't really know why they said that) and I had one or 2 jam up. I went into the lobby and bought a box of 50 winchester fmj rounds and had 1 or 2 more jam. I'm hoping this will go away as i break the gun in...have some remmington to try next week :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
good luck, I hope it all works out for ya.
I have an XD 40 I got 2 years ago, it will shoot every thing i put in it, It will probly shoot spit balls if I asked it to, but some guns just need some tweaking I guess,

now that I said that mine will probly start acting up, hope not, "knock on wood"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have put 350 rounds thru mine of rem umc and white box and no problems at all. When I get a feeding problem I allways suspect the magazine. Hope they fix your pistol

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I know you guys don't want to believe the solution MIGHT be so simple, but try putting one drop of oil in each slide rail slot and manually work the slide half a dozen times. You feed/function problem may go away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have put right around 400 rounds through my brand new XD both the Wally World UMC JHP and the venerable WWB more WWB than UMC but my gun digest it all I havent had one failure to feed or fire (knock on wood) but so far so goob plus mine has a Pachmyr #3 slipon grip and a Don's SS guide rod with a 22# spring. Even my old man and my father in law as well as my wife have shot this loving piece of hardware with no issues except it slightly hurt my wifes wrist since she is so used to her Taurus 9mm which also has some 1500 rounds through with not one issue all I do is pray and keep them clean! :lol: :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My XD9sub has never had a hickup (knock on wood). Seems like most problems I read about are from the .40's. I know there are alot of people that have the .40 and never have a problem with them but for the amount of people that do, it puts a bad taste in my mouth to get one. I know the issues are probably very easy to ficx but man I just cant imagine having to work on a NIB gun just to make it feed properly. I know its not just the XD but I think that by the volume of people that post about problems that someone in the QC dept. should be taking a closer look at their manufacturing. Maybe Springfield can put some presure on them since they import so many.

By the way, My brother bought a kahr MK.40 and it wouldnt feed or group for anything. I looked it over and saw a mark inside the barrel. He sent it back and they replaced the barrel and instaled NS's for him. He took it out to shoot and it grouped good but wouldnt feed. I ended up taking it apart and looked deeper into it. The machining marks on the breechface were horrible, and there was a nasty bur on the inside face of the extractor. I stoned and polished these areas and polished and throated the the ramp and chamber. Now it feeds anything he shoves into it.

My point is, no matter what gun you get, there is bound to be a bad apple, just hate hearing aboout such fine pistols making it past QC in such poor condition.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Greg in OKLAa said:
I am running into failure to feed problems on a XD40 I got a couple of weeks ago.First time out ,it couldnt put 2 shots back to back on some ammo sold at the range.Picked up a 100 box of the Win white box,it did good on it,Went to shoot yesterday,and Academy was out of the white box 100's.,so I got some Balzer JHP,both my 9MM's like it.The 40 would jam and fail to feed an the last 2 in every clip.I am going to get another box of the Winchester value pack and try it again :( .I am sort of disapointed in the XD40 so far,havent had any fireind issues with either my 9MM sub, or the 9MM service I have.Guess I am going to have to send it in for repair,really cant live with a gun that will only fire 1 brand of ammo.I am going to wait till I get my slide for my service model back from Springfield ,getting it recoated for rust/wear problems.Was told it will ship later this week :)
What is a Clip?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Send these in and let Springfield fix them!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FatMatt1981 said:
what exactly does this roll pin thing do?
I'm no expert, but the pictures at James' sight helped me understand that the roll pin acts as a stop for the firing pin assembly.

In the picture labelled "Remove Firing Pin" you will see a slot in the middle of the firing pin device (also 31 below). This slot slides around the roll pin (also 35 below) that is installed from the top of the pistol. James explains that it is a press-fit tapered hole - larger at the top and smaller on the other side of the firing pin.

Slide assembly image:

So the slot in the middle of the firing pin device (31) contains the pin (35) which fits through the slot. The firing pin body, then, can only go as far as the end of the slot at the roll pin. This appears to act as a hard stop for the firing pin body. It seems to be designed to allow for dry-firing without ruining the firing pin or some other more expensive part of the slide.

That's all my best guess, so all of you guys and girls that really understand the design please feel free to correct me or add to this if necessary.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!! Did I say clip????and here I have been correcting my shooting buddy all the time"its not a clip.its a magazine"
What is a Clip?
DAMN!!! I fell like a goober :oops: :oops:

Greg :oops:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts