Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at the range practicing some IDPA drills and I had something happen that I have never with any of my XD's.

First off I want to profess that I am a mechanical "retard" and this is one of the reasons I love my XD's. I can take them apart and clean them very easily. Much more so than and other guns I've owned.

Back to what happened. I fired a shot, all went well, ready for the next shot (new round in chamber!) BUT, pistol not cocked! I could tell thanks to the striker indicator that it wasnot cocked.

I immediately stopped to make SURE that a new round had cycled into the chamber, that I had not had a squib or something, Although I saw the round hit the paper, or the whole that was made anyway, but sure enough everything was right, less the striker not being cocked!

I fiddled with it (Racked the slide, dry fired several times). The very FIRST time I did this the striker cocked then slipped "off". Sort of glad I did not have a round in the chamber, I am not siure if it would have gone off or not. After the initial occurance, it did not happen again.

What do I need to look at to look for the problem? I surely do not feel safe as I am afraid that carrying this pistol it might go "Brady" on me and fire on its own. There MIGHT be some sort of prevention of this built in I would guess as this did not happen the first time the gun failed while doing drills.

Any advice? Anyone?

Thanks! I know a few minutes with you guys and I will be set right.

Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! Not a thing done but shoot & clean. Maybe have 5000 round through this one. I doubt it matters but it is a 5" .40

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe do some safety checks on the firing pin with the slide off. Make sure the fp retracts from the breach, and that there isn't any binding. There's a damping spring in there, which you can see from the hole on the underside of the slide. You can hold down the fp safety and push the fp lug forward and see that the damping spring will push the fp back each time you push forward. As always, wear safety glasses when working.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How clean was the gun??? Did you look into the sear/sear spring area for any dirt/grime/obstructions??

All I can think of at his moment (I'm at work triaging patients in the ER and perusing the forum at the same time) is that you have something that's interfering with sear fully engaging the firing pin lug and the latter "slipping" by itself.
I'd make sure the spring is working as it's supposed to, clean the gun real good and oil sparingly, and try again.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
From reading your description of the failure, my first guess would be that there was something that was not allowing the striker status indicator from not protrude from the striker locking plate.. it may be as simple as taking down the slide assembly to see if some gunk got in there.

Try AJames site: http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/slidedisassembly.html

I would bet, based on your description of the problem, that something was jamming up the works.. I wouldn't bother removing the extractor.. that thing is a bugger!! But cleaning out the works around the striker status indicator is pretty simple.

Good luck

Raymond

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pointers guys, I will try to dig into it after dinner.

I have never disassembled the slide for cleaning, that is getting into the firing pin, striker stuff ect. I have laways just taken the slide OFF, cleaned it as a unit, then the barrel, fram and other crap. May be time to, with the link provided above I have a prayer, just hope no springs jump out at me that I will curse the night away trying to find. . . . .

Thanks again. I was quite distubed. I have 5 of these things (XD's) because I have never had problems with any of them. I carry one every day (But rarely this one). I love 'em enough to trust them with my families safety, and to have a surprise pop out of something that you have so much trust in sends some chills!

Rick

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When you take off the stricker locking plate... keep your thumb over the spring.. if you don't, you will be looking all over the place for little tiny pieces! LOL.. Trust me on this! LMBO...

You might try disassembling everything inside a box of some sort... just in case...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
This may be a simple fix or it may not. Why risk it? Send it back to Springfield Armory for warranty work.
Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If Thanks for the box tip. When it comes to me and mechanical, if it can go wrong, it will, I am all thumbs.

If it re-occures I will send it back. I was hoping to send it away to Tom Novak for an overhaul in a couple weeks anyway, to smooth it out for IDPA. But I will make sure it is safe and sound before starting something like that.

I want the trigger smoothed and lightened, all of the slack that can be taken out.

Anyone ever done or seen anything done to that lever we use to remove the slide? That bugger has been chewing my left thumb to pieces! Bad news making it so darn raspy. My only complaints with my XD's are that sucker and the placement of the slide stop. I have had to completely rework my grip to avoid preventing the gun from NOT bringing the slide to lock when empty.

Rick

3,4,5" .40's, 5" 45 GAP, 3" 9mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts