Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! i am zerofixer i got a new xd-9 two tone 4 inch about 6 weeks ago. i have shot 2600 rounds in the past 6 weeks, the problem i am having is the gun jams, the round leves the tube, but the case stays in the chamber, and the slide goes to the rear and trys to chamber another round. it appears that the extractor strips past the base of the case? this has happened 12 times in 2600 rounds, on all types of ammo. i put in a new extractor it still happens has anyone else seen this problem?? i have cougar 8000 9mm,sig 226, kimber pro carry .45 acp para 14-45 and my glock-17 which has fired 86,000 rounds in 7 years! i none of these guns have did this type of thing ever! i also have a new xd-9 tactical model which i have shot 200 rounds the same thing has happened but only once! if anyone has ever seen or knows about this please let me know thanks much mike b

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry Zerofixer, I have fired 1500 rounds through the exact same model in the past three weeks with only one FTE and that apperaed to be a bad WWB round. That was around round 670 and I haven't had a single other problem before or since. I've used half a dozen different ammo brands of both FMJ and JHP during that time.

Have you conacted SA customer service? Unfortunately, it sounds like you may need some warranty work. :cry:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree with Paladin, You got somthing wrong there.....I am a armorer for the XD's....I have not heard of a extractor having that much difficulty.....
send it in, and let them fix the problem... :wink:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Sounds like you may have a tight chamber. At any rate, Springfield will take care of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a similar issue with my XD9sc after i purchased it last spring, called SA and they had me send it back; they replaced and tuned the extractor and has worked fine since. Turnaround time from SA was quick, barely 2 1/2 wks for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately I have had the same type of extraction problems w/my XDSC 9mm. It is now back to Springfield for the third time. The customer service personel have been great through the ordeal. They said that they should replace it this time if they can get it to FTE. They have reamed the barrel and replace the extractor on the first two trips. I hope they will resolve my problem and come up with a fix since there seems to be an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS!! I GUESS I WILL SEND IT BACK I HAVE TWO OF THEM A 4 INCH TWO TONE IN 9mm, AND A ALL BLACK 5 INCH TAC MODEL IN 9mm . BOTH DO THE SAME THING, THE 4 INCH IS THE WORST, SO THE 4 INCH WILL GO BACK FIRST. I HAVE (8) PISTOLS (5) IN 9mm AND (3) IN .45 ACP, ALL BUT (2) HAVE NEVER GAVE ME ANY PROBLEMS. I HAVE SEEN THIS ON DIFFERENT TALK FORUMS OF THE (FTE) AND KNOW OF ONE PERSON IN MY AREA WITH A .40 CAL 4 INCH WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. I DO LIKE THE XD-9 PISTOLS, BUT I DON'T TRUST THEM WITH MY LIFE. I WILL KEEP WITH MY GLOCK-17 FOR NOW, IT HAS WORKED WITHOUT A MALFUNCTION! HOPE THAT SPRINGFIELD CAN FIX IT THANKS AGAIN!! MIKE

·
Registered
415 Posts
What ammo are you using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOGOA, I USE RELOADS MOST OF THE TIME, I GOT SOME 124 gr FMJ MILITARY AMMO FROM A FRIEND 2004 PRODUCTION IT HAD (5) of the (12) (FTE's) WITH THIS AMMO. I USED 124 gr WINCHESTER, 115 gr REMMINGTON, S/B WITH (1) FTE's EACH BRAND. I STARTED TO TAPER CRIMP MY 9mm RELOADS, TO DAY I SHOOT 400 ROUNDS OF MY AMMO WITH NO (FTE's) I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR 18 YEARS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF MY AMMO.LAST YEAR ALONE I SHOT OVER 35,000 ROUNDS OF 9mm, 5000 ROUNDS OF .45 ACP, AND 5000+ ROUNDS OF .223 ALL MY LOADS AND ALL GOOD!! MIKE

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with extraction on my 4" at about the same round count. I had some success with cleaning, ammo changes and a wolf spring tune kit. The real problem was that the extractor had lost a bit of tension. Tune the extractor. I bent mine over a 1911 firing pin in a drill vise. Not subtle, I know, but no malfunctions at all since that time. About 1500 rounds. I am assuming that there is no damage to the extractor hook.
My xd ran with zero problems for about 2500 rds. At that point I shot a box of poor quality reloads. Some of the swolen cases stuck in the chamber. I think dropping the slide over the stuck case to extract it, is what caused the problem to start. It went from perfect to about 1fte per mag.
Since you already have a new extractor, there is nothing to lose by attempting to tune the old one. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My XD9 had the same problem when I first got it. SA paid to ship it back. They adjusted he extractor and sent it back. Since then I've only had one fte in nearly 1000 rounds. That was with WalMart WWB. Others have had problems with it so I think it was just the ammo. Fired 175 rounds of Blazer brass through it with zero problems. SA will fix it. They have some of the best customer service in the business.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i experienced 2 of these events today shooting 100 rds perfectly...hicup, hicup...98 rds perfectly.

i'm not too worried about it just yet. this isn't my carry gun by any means...i'm just gonna "shoot it out."

i admire your record keeping though. that's EXTREMELY informative. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FIRST OFF HI! I CALLED SPRINGFIELD, GOT THEM TO SEND ME A NEW EXTRACTOR PUT IT IN NOW THE XD HAS GONE 1200 RDS WITH NO (FTEs) GLAD TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM FIXED!! NOW THE LOCKING BLOCK IS STARTING TO CHIP? I CALLED (SF), MEGAN AT THE COMPANY IS GREAT, SHE IS SENDING ME A NEW LOCKING BLOCK. THEY WONT THE OLD PART BACK TO SEE WHAT WENT WRONG. SO IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP HERE IS HER E MAIL [email protected] MIKE B.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I had my XD-9 FTE at least 60% of the time. I sent it to SA for repairs and they installed new extractor. It worked then for about 1200 rounds and then started to FTE 20% of the time. Was going to sell it but my local smith talked me into letting him work on it. He increased the positive camber on the extractor claw and tuned the extractor tension a bit. Not sure why SA could not have done this themselves. Anyway the gun has worked flawlessly since then, at least 3500 round more so far. My advice, find a smith who knows about 1911 type extractors (almost the same) and have him look at it. I do however think that the over all design of th egun could be improved by changing it to a external type extractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up my new XD9 4" yesterday. I took it to the range and shot 430 rounds of about 8 different brands of 9mm, mostly FMJ, but also some Remington 115 gr JHPand I only had one problem. On the last JHP in one mag, I had a FTF and the slide locked open. In the middle of my 430 rounds, I talked with a man who was qualifying at the range and appeared to be a better shot than me and more experienced. He had a Glock 40S&W. He liked the way the XD looked, so I offered to let him give it a try. He shot 2 full 10 round mags and had 3 jams - where the rounds failed to chamber and the slide hung open. He cleared each and finished the 20 rounds, thanked me and left. I was shocked that my new gun didn't like the nice man, since I had no trouble before (except that one FTF) or after. Now for my flashback - on the first day I started shooting an auto after only shooting revolvers, I had about a 90% jam rate with a Baretta 92F using MagTech and CCI Blazer 9mm. But only about a 10% jam rate with Speer Lawman, which is a little more powerful. I spoke with the range guy on the way out and he just said, fairly authoritatively, "limpwristing". The next day I went back, paid more attention to my grip, and shot another 150 rounds of Blazer through the Baretta and had Zero jams. I then took the 92F to an action shooting class and shot 450 rounds without one jam. I also have a friend who had a 92F and had the same problem. He sent the gun back to Baretta and they returned it with a nice used target and a note that there was nothing wrong with it. But they never suggested "limpwristing" as a possible cause. He ended up selling the gun and never knew what the problem was, until we talked about my experience. I believe that some unresolved jams and other failures in auto pistols might be traced to limpwristing. It's a cheap and fast fix if it's your problem. I was surprised to learn that I was doing it. It's certainly worth a try. Hope this helps someone like it helped me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHATs UP?? I AM LOOKING IN TO GETTING A NEW XD-40 TWO TONE (4)INCH BLACK/STAINLESS PISTOL. AS I WROTE BEFORE, I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH MY XD-9 WITH RIGHT MANY (FTE'S). I CHANGED MY AMMO PROFILE AND I HAVE HAD ONLY (1 FTE) IN 3000 ROUNDS. I WOULD LIKE SOME FEED BACK ON THE XD-40 IF YOU COULD THANKS MUCH MIKE B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to post some photos so I can get onto the girls + guns string with a good one. Here's my XD9. It's a couple of months old and has about 1500 rounds through it and I love it. I'll also post a photo of my now current collection. My next favorite is a tie between my Smith 617 and my Ruger Single Six with red dot, which my 14 year old son loves to shoot. I'll be back on other strings with more photos.
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs28&d=05194&f=XD9-11.jpg
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs28&d=05194&f=CurrentCollection.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JUST GOT A NEW XD-40 TWO TONE, BLACK/STAINLESS 0N 5-15-05 PUT ABOUT 400 ROUNDS THROUGH IT! SO FAR SO GOOD!! NO PROBLEMS YET. I HAVE USED ALL TYPES OF RELOADS THAT I HAVE MADE FROM 155 gr TO 200 gr, ALL SHOOT WELL , I THINK THAT 200gr. IS A BIT HEAVY FOR THE .40 CAL. MY FRIEND SAYS TO 200gr IS REALLY MENT FOR THE 10mm AUTO WHICH HE SHOOTS RIGHT MUCH ! HAS ANYONE HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THE XD-40
THE WAY OF THE GUN!!! MIKE B.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I sent my XD9 service off to SA 2 days ago for FTE. I hope they fix it. Its driving me nuts!!! I am using all sorts of ammo :x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts