Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot several hundred rounds through a new XDM today. The slide consistenly failed to lock open after the last shot with both magazines; it would only lock open about 10% of the time. Same results whether using a full magazine or partial. Ammo is UMC bulk pack.

Gun ran fine otherwise. Can this be fixed easily or does it need to return to SA or Croatia? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know about keeping clear of the lever. I am a 1911 shooter and shoot with both thumbs forward with the strong thumb on the safety on a 1911. I could very well be riding the lever. I will shoot it again tomorrow and try to mend my evil ways. It will be great if that is the problem. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It's very surprizing how little pressure is required on the slide lock to keep it from locking open on an empty magazine. Because of this I have now changed my grip so that my strong hand thumb is trapped under the pad of my weak hand thumb. Doing that totally cured any issues with the slide not locking open.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I shoot with a very high thumbs forward grip, and have no problems... been shooting uspsa for a couple years now, and have only "rode the slide lock" maybe 2 or 3 times...

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I had this problem the first 2 days I shot my XDs, now it never happens. I was riding my thumbs a bit high, you probably are too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks, you were correct - my wicked thumb was too high and riding the lever. Shot briefly today [just 4 partial magazines to test thumb placement] and the gun worked fine. It locked back every time when empty. Thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Folks, you were correct - my wicked thumb was too high and riding the lever. Shot briefly today [just 4 partial magazines to test thumb placement] and the gun worked fine. It locked back every time when empty. Thanks for the great advice.

No problem.

That will be $29.95, please!

Glad you found and fixed the issue. Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts