Springfield XD Forum banner

Fail-to-Feed Dilemna

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Snake-eater 1 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, its been a long time since my last post, but here we go....

So I was down at the range here in Las Vegas firing some reloads with my neighbor. And my XD suffered from "NUMEROUS" failures to feed. Specifically the bullet tip would stick on the feed ramp keeping the gun in an open bolt position. The bullet would be slightly "pinched" downward, with primer close to the right position and the tip on the frame feed lip. The feed lip is "very" smooth and nice and polished. W/ a firm bash on the magazine butt the round would seat properly and fire.

Before today my gun has never had a single failure of any kind.

The gun: .357 SIG service model, notably the gun was a bit dry, but IMO it shouldn't be an issue; the way I see it is i should be able to dump 5K rounds thru the gun w/out cleaning.

My PREVIOUS outing I should 400 factory bullets w/out a hitch.

Thisw outing w/ about 200 bullets we had at least 10 FTFs, all reloads from the same batch.

I am thinking the bullets were slightly out of spec, and maybe the bullets were not backspaced correctly in the case. I kept a 50 round pack from the same batch just to test.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think the bullets have are at the wrong seating depth. Also, some guns do not run very well when they are dry. Even my Sigs like to be oiled. I have read that the .357sig round can be finicky with seating depth. Buy a box of factory ammo and oil the gun, run 50-100 rounds through it and let us know if they work.

#6 ·
When I first got my XD-40 I suffered a couple FTF's. I went ahead and polished the feed ramp my self and polished underneath where the barrel contacts the locking block because I noticed a build up of black stuff. Now it is more visible when I field strip to see the black stuff on the polished surface. I use a brass brush to remove it. Haven't had a problem since. I shoot mostly WWB. It could just be the reloads. Try a box of factory ammo and see if they give you FTF's.

#7 ·
When I firs began reloading for .40 in the XD, I had Failures to Feed. This was with ammo that worked just fine in 3 other .40 caliber pistols. I adjusted the seating depth (actually increased the OAL), eventually got 100% feeding success.

Nowadays, at the first sign of any malfunction (which is rare), be it FTF, FTE, ANYTHING, I put a drop of oil down the slide rail groove on each side of the slide. This almost always cures the problem. The XD wants to be well lubed, almost like the 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.