Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am one of those few unlucky folks who is right handed by left eye dominant. This doesn't pose a problem while shooting pistols, but hell if it isn't a pain in the ass when shooting rifles. I also happen to have a strange rheumatological disease that acts like rheumatoid arthritis on my left arm. So, when shooting left handed, there is pain in my left arm. When I shoot right handed, there isn't any pain at all, but the sights are obviously a bit more blurry.

So I just built a new AR (I'll have pictures in the morning) and I can still get a decent sight picture with my right eye, but is there anything else I can do to improve? Just curious... thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have the same cross eyed dominance..... So all of my weapons are LH or have left/ambi safeties. When I broke my left arm [one of the times:roll:] and had to shoot right handed, I got used to it, but had to practice a lot to get used to it.

I have been told {not that I have ever tried it} that a holo sight such as an EOtech can help since you have both eyes open... Maybe find someone who has a EOTech and try it?

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have the same cross eyed dominance..... So all of my weapons are LH or have left/ambi safeties. When I broke my left arm [one of the times:roll:] and had to shoot right handed, I got used to it, but had to practice a lot to get used to it.

I have been told {not that I have ever tried it} that a holo sight such as an EOtech can help since you have both eyes open... Maybe find someone who has a EOTech and try it?

Woof
Bowser
I have the same problem. My right eye is all but useless yet I'm right handed. I ordered a left handed upper to solve my problem and plan to learn to shoot rifles lefty. As far as shooting right, I've heard that eotech's do help because they're made to be able to be utilized without having to perfectly line it up (but somebody with more experience might be able to help you more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 to the Eotech. I shoot handguns and rifles almost equally well with either eye, although my right is technically dominant. With the Eo, I can switch and/or shoot equally well with both eyes open. Any good gun shop should be willing to let you try one out.

My dream is for Eotech to get thier Sh*t together and get on par with Aimpoint on durability and battery life...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I as well have this problem. I didn't have this problem a couple of years ago but now I do so it was pretty scary to find out. I've been practicing shooting left handed, even with my right handed upper. I also decided to paint the inside of my left lense on a cheap pair of sun glasses, it works pretty well. I also have an Eotech. It's a little bit easier for me, but not that much. I'm planning on having Lasik done some time soon to correct this.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Put a tube of chap stick in your shooting bag.

Every time you go shooting put a little smear of chap stick on the left lens of your shooting glasses. Doesn't need to be big, just a little dot that blocks your left eye from seeing the front sight.

Your right eye will take over as the dominant eye and look through the sights.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am right hand dom, left eye dom. I actually have a harder time with target acquisition with pistols. I am also decent with weak handed firing with pistols.

with rifles I cannot shoot left handed very well at all so switching is not an option. I have an EoTech and for the first 10 minutes I kept losing sight of the holosight. then I started walking around my property switching from low-ready to ready with both eyes open and after another 5 minutes I had trained my eyes to adjust.

the EoTech is very nice because you can have both eyes open and your dominant left eye will not cause you to adjust your aim, because it won't even have a view of the holosight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts