Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few AK rounds that jammed into the bullet guide on my Saiga (Crapco mag). Obviously I know not to fire them but I don't have a bullet puller yet. Do they pose a danger at all from being jammed like that?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
well i mean... its not good.
they shouldnt go off just from being jammed, but i would lock it open, or disassemble it so no mechanisms accidentally hit those primers.

then be really careful taking them out

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, kinda figured they were harmless. Next question, what do I do with the powder? Scare the neighbor kids?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Keep in mind that OAL, bullet setback & pressures are inverse from rifle to pistol. It's likely they would fire w/ little issue. The bullet being that far away form the rifling reduces pressures more than compressing powder raising pressures. No good reason to shoot them though, unless you just want to make noise.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind that OAL, bullet setback & pressures are inverse from rifle to pistol. It's likely they would fire w/ little issue. The bullet being that far away form the rifling reduces pressures more than compressing powder raising pressures. No good reason to shoot them though, unless you just want to make noise.

Wouldn't that make it a candidate for a squib? Either way the rounds aren't going back in a gun. Or would you put the empty case back in to set off the primer?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm talking steel cased AK rounds and I don't reload. Basically trying to dispose of them as safely as possible.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Use the powder as fertilizer, hit the primer in the case with some wd40, and toss the case and bullet away.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wouldn't that make it a candidate for a squib? Either way the rounds aren't going back in a gun. Or would you put the empty case back in to set off the primer?
Not likely, just a lower pressure event. Full disclosure, I have done it w/ an ar & the 223. Nothing terrible happened, it even ade it over the chrono, just at a lesser vel than normal. Just take them apart if you reload or you can drop them into the range bucket. Someone will deal with tem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts