Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had went shooting with friends the other day and accidently left my xd-9 service model IN THE CASE in my truck on the passenger floor board. 3 days later I take it out open the case and the entire slide is rusted!!!! I mean the whole slide!!!! I take a dish rag and wipe it down and all of the rust came off.
I dont have the bucks for amory coat right now but is there something else I can use?? I love my XD but that rust problem is inexcusable for a quality handgun. I had it in the case snapped shut and dry. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? :shock:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Call up Springfield, they are known to do the Armory Coat for free if your slide rusts like that. Other than that, Blue Wonder Armadillo is a great way to protect your gun from the elements.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
How come all of you have rust problems? Don't you take proper care of your guns? I have never seen any rust on any of my stuff and sometimes I do not clean it for a week, just let it sit in my gunsafe. Maybe this Blue Wonder stuff or whatever you use to care for your firearms causes rust? Geez!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
ummm.. I hate to be the negative nancy on the board.. but is anyone wondering why a pistol would get left in "the box" for three days on the floorboard of somebodies pick-up? I mean hey.. I am pretty rural here in Oregon, but I think if I left my pistol on the floor board in my vehicle it would get stolen long before it rusted!?

Anywhoo.. Just clean her up, rub her down with some oil, and she's good as new. I have thought of sending my pistol back to get recoated. I havent been able to do it though, because I don't want to be without it at my side... Of course, I couldn't leave it in a car for three days either.. so that is probably not an issue for you...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
You could put a few silica gel packets in the box next time. I use a few of the little white ones that come with pairs of shoes in my pistol lock box.

Krackels

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wouldn't jump on him for improper care. A dry gun really should have no reason to rust if it's just sitting in a box for a few days. It'd be one thing if he threw it in a pond, but there are guns out there that wouldn't even rust from that.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
manygunner said:
How come all of you have rust problems? Don't you take proper care of your guns? I have never seen any rust on any of my stuff and sometimes I do not clean it for a week, just let it sit in my gunsafe. Maybe this Blue Wonder stuff or whatever you use to care for your firearms causes rust? Geez!!
As long as we are being honest, I haven't cleaned mine in about 6 months, and not a speck of rust.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
A little preventive medicine doesn't hurt either.

I store my XD in my holster 90% of the time. . . I haven't seen any rust issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I really don't see how a gun could rust in 3 days of sitting in a truck if it was in it's case. Was it raining out when you were shooting or something?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it wasnt raining or anything like that. We had a skeet and pistol shoot and I snapped it shut in its case and set it in my floor board and drove home. I slept, went back to work and forgot it was there. I really dont think it was improper care for all you guys who dogged me for it. Its not like I had it out of the case and sitting on the dash. It was in its case snapped shut. Now since I do not have a ccw here in Arkansas I would have been in trouble had I been pulled over, But I know how to take care of a gun and I know that that is not supposed to happen with any gun. :x

·
Registered
42 Posts
Living at the South Jersey seashore where salty air is a constant element, I have become extremely ainal about keeping my prized possessions cleaned and well oiled. The three products that I've come to rely on for a wide range of rust protection are.....
#1 - Breakfree CLP
#2 - TriFlow
#3 - Ballistol

With the exception of one old Colt SAA revolver, my Winchester '94, my Savage-Anshutz bolt action .22, and this XD-9, all my other guns are stainless steel, and I try to buy stainless whenever it's practical.

With a good coat of Breakfree, that slide would not have rusted, but I have to agree with Capt Ray, as I too can't believe you let your guns sit in your truck like that, aren't you the least bit concerned about them getting stolen, then used in a crime.......?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey while I am thinking about it, I wonder if SCOTCH GUARD will work. Or better yet, I make premium Cadillac engine parts for a living and I work with lots of rust inhibitors hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I always wipe my XD down with CLP when cleaning. I get it lightly coated and let is sit while I work on the barrel, then wipe of the exces from the slide and other metal parts. Never had any problems here in the greater Puget Sound area. Most of this side of the state is pretty humid and should cause rust, I just never had any problems with any.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I still say that after all of these rust stories that one would think Springfield would do something to PREVENT future problems, not just fix problems as they appear.

The best customer service is preventing customer complaints...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with manygunner about the rust issue. sometimes i will leave my gun in the safe for days at a time before cleaning and never had rust. I even have a few scrapes on my slide where the finish got knocked off and have never seen it rust. the only cleaner I use is rem oil on the slide and no9 in the barrel. the internal parts i spray with rem oil let sit then blow out with air compressor and repeat a few times till i feel its clean enough.... yes im a lazy cleaner :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts