Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local gun store and they had an AR-15 on display. It is made by Colt and I believe it is an A2 model. The owner didn't really know too much about it other than saying it is a desireable model and it's around $1500 dollars.

Are Colt AR's more desireable than others? Is this worth looking into more or should I look for somethingf else?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
To many the Colt is the ultimate AR to own. This is due to the fact that they sell to the military.

There are many very good AR15 rifles out there that can be bought for $850 and up. These rifles will shoot great and offer you home protection and a lot of fun shooting. Read the forums and you will learn the more popular brand names.

Because you can not rattle off the model number of the rifle, I would say that you need to do some more research. Maybe if you have the 1500 to spare, you might want to buy a less expensive AR and lots of ammo so that you can learn how to shoot, clean and care for a AR15.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
To answer your question, Colt are desirable to a lot of guys, though as mil spec as you can make an AR15, even a Colt AR will never really be current mil-spec no matter what due to the lower receiver, fire controls and even sometimes with barrel length on some models/versions.

I on the other hand am not one of those guys who feel they're desirable and don't fit into that category. Matter of fact, I don't like the Colt companies policies, so owning one of their guns is out of the question for me. Colt specifically says they don't want their firearms sold to U.S. Civilians, yet, they'll sell them by contract boat load to the likes of Iran and other hot spots to possibly be used against our guys. Stuff like that just gets me mad at them all over again and if they don't support me, then I don't see the point of supporting them.

Off the topic of their sales policies and back on the subject at hand about the gun, I don't see them as being anything more special than almost any other AR if it's built right. Especially since the price you quoted is higher than most places you can find Colt's for anyway.

I'm sure someone will post "the chart" to show all the super dooper features that it has later. But for what it's worth now before I'm tarred and feathered and burned at the stake, I am not sold that all "the features" are necessary for a good functioning gun that you can count on that you can pick up or build for half of the cost.

I can almost see you sitting there scratching your head, so I'll give you an example:

I could give a rat's patooty if my reciever extension nut is staked quasi-permanently or not. It's things like that that seperate an otherwise good gun from a Colt brand.

Before anyone calls me a troll, or whatever, I'm not bashing Colt. They're just not for me. If you like it and you want it, get it. I wont' think any more or less of you for it.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Don't drink the kool-aid, all the label whores will tell you it is the best gun out there. I would beg to differ with the likes of Sabre, LMT, DSA, RRA, LWRC and many other manufactures making incredible guns these days. I personally have no interest in owning a COLT. I think you would be much better off buying a different gun for less $$$, 10 Pmags and 1k rounds of ammo.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My brother had a Colt and it was a spectacular weapon. Still for the money you'll spend on a Colt, you can have a rifle of the same quality plus some other goodies and ammo. Like was said above, if you like the Colt and the price is right (or no object) then get the Colt.

With that said, before you buy anything you should do more research. There are many high quality rifles from many manufacturers plus there are some new rifles on the market that are similar in price to the Colt that you might be interested in purchasing.

Here is my next purchase: SIG 556 Keep in mind that there are lower priced versions of this same rifle.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
To many the Colt is the ultimate AR to own. This is due to the fact that they sell to the military.
actually Colt no longer holds the military contract FN does,

I agree there are a lot of guns out there that will serve you just as well as a colt, LMT, Sabre Defense ect ect ect,

what you should spend will be directly related to what you expect out of your weapon, if your looking for lots of range time and light home defense virtually any weapon of the name brand ARs will serve you well even a DPMS which is thought by some that it will know when the difference between a range session and SD encounter and will encounter a Death Jam when you need it the most.

all ARs are prone to malfunctions no matter who makes them, ARs while are fun to shoot and super cool because of their modular design are infact a flawed design due to thier direct gas impingment system

when choosing a weapon you will have to decide what is important to you higher priced rifles put their parts through more testing which in its self does not mean that it will not fail just that it most likley will not. these extra testing procedures will relate to an added manufacturing expense which is passed on to the end consumer,

as far as lower priced weapons go RRA, STAG, S&W and even DPMS weapons are just fine for average AR owner if they are going to fail its most likely going to fail during the first range session and will be covered under warranty,

some would lead you to belive that because it has this name or that it will never fail which is BS anything man made will eventually fail no matter what testing is conducted during the manufactring process. and will alwasy fail when you least expect it to.

for the money i would get a RRA or Stag and save the extra $600 on extra mags and ammo. or accessories.

just be sure to get a 5.56 chamber and if your really concerned with it upgrade your BCG to a LMT or BCM BCG.

for $1500 i would look at a gas piston set up for a middle tier rifle and it will be more reliable than a colt.

so all in all it will depend on what you want out of your rilfe. it you want a talisman to adorn your safe that will be respected by people that are only impressed with the roll mark on your weapon then by all means get the Colt, if you want a weapon that you can take out have fun with and wont shed any tears over if it gets scratched then get a middle tier weapon and have fun.

and i agree buy lots and lots of ammo or even better yet get a nice press and start turning out your own hand loads.

welcome to the BRD

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The Colt AR-15's are fine rifles. The only one I own at the moment is an older (late 60's model) Colt SP-1. I have fired a lot of Colts over the years and they all functioned well and did what they were designed to do.

That all being said, no...IMHO, they are not worth any sort of a premium nor are they more desirable than any other AR-15. Certainly not for $1,500...for that you can either buy outright or build an AR-15 that is tailored exactly to what you want and need...including optics if that is the route you want to go.

If you start a thread with what you want an AR-15 type rifle for, and a basic budget, there are a lot of people here who can point you in the right direction for a purchase or build of a rifle to your specs for at least $500-600 cheaper than the Colt that will function as reliably and be as or more accurate than the Colt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As others have stated, you can get an nice RRA, Bushmaster or equivalent with a $500 optic for what that guy wants for the Colt.

If you have your heart set on a Colt, you should be able to get a brand new LE 6920 through Gunbroker for about $1,250. Even with shipping and a transfer fee it should be almost $200 less than $1,500. I'd shop around a bit more....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not experienced with all the brands, but I have a Bushmaster and love it. No problems so far. Have had it for 6 months and picked it up used for about $500 from a friend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want a great rifle from a reputable company with awesome customer support/lifetime warranty, for under a grand...go with a CMMG.

Right now a lot of shops are flooded with what everyone is calling the CMMG M4LE. It's a CMMG MOD4SA lower, flat top upper, and light-weight(i think) 16" M4 carbine 1/9 barrel assembly. They differ from the other CMMG models because they aren't chrome-lined, a new process was used called WASP coating which is supposed to be better than chrome-lining. This model is produced solely for distribution through RSR Group and can't be purchased directly from CMMG from what I understand. I don't know if they plan to offer this new WASP stuff on any of their in-house rifles.

I usually see them on the shelf at various shops with an $850+/- pricetag. I picked mine up for $650 + my used and abused mossy 500, and it's a great rifle. Definitely worth the money, and you'll find nothing but good things said by many people when it comes to CMMG.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input. It seems they have upped the price to $1700.00 and after looking around on gunbroker.com I'm not buying what they have. I like to buy local, and out here things are definitely much more expensive but I can't handle that kind of premium. It is a government model A2 BTW.

I'm a new gun owner and really just want to be able to own an AR-15 before the coming AWB should Barack get elected. I want to go to the range and have fun, exclusivity is not a factor. The previously mentioned AR is the only one for sale on-island which is why I was considering it.

I know this is an extremely over asked question but what is a good AR-15 to start with? I am reading the FAQ sticky but if anyone is willing to break it down simply for me I would appreciate it. What model is a good starter and who is a reputable manufacturer? I'm not looking for the best or the cheapest, just something middle of the road that I can mod in the future.

Thanks again.

James

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. It seems they have upped the price to $1700.00 and after looking around on gunbroker.com I'm not buying what they have. I like to buy local, and out here things are definitely much more expensive but I can't handle that kind of premium. It is a government model A2 BTW.

I'm a new gun owner and really just want to be able to own an AR-15 before the coming AWB should Barack get elected. I want to go to the range and have fun, exclusivity is not a factor. The previously mentioned AR is the only one for sale on-island which is why I was considering it.

I know this is an extremely over asked question but what is a good AR-15 to start with? I am reading the FAQ sticky but if anyone is willing to break it down simply for me I would appreciate it. What model is a good starter and who is a reputable manufacturer? I'm not looking for the best or the cheapest, just something middle of the road that I can mod in the future.

Thanks again.

James
Read this:

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

Thanks again.

James
Truth is, with all the computer controlled machinery, they're all pretty comparable.

Olympic and Mega usually have tight magwells that work great when you use a mag that fits in them, and I'm not a very big fan of DPMS either anymore, but almost any AR you can get, will be comparable in specs. I don't really agree that the more expensive equals to better quality, but 99.5% of AR's will run great out of the box no matter who makes them.

And all the aftermarket accy's work on them too. The only thing you have to watch out for is the oddball Colt reciever pin holes. Some of their lowers have extra large pin holes that would cause you to have to use adapter pins if you wanted a quick upper swap. Other than that, they're all pretty much machined the same other than the rollmark and other little small things depending on model.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. It seems they have upped the price to $1700.00
Yikes. Sounds like someone is getting an early start on election month price gouging :rolleyes:

Now, and likely for the next few months we're all probably going to need to be smart shoppers....

·
Banned
50 Posts
My local shop sold a SW MP15T with Troy Battle Sights, Pic rails, floated barrel, mil-spec 5.56 etc. for 1325. msrp 1770 Read about it in Guns and Weapons mag. Pretty rave reviews and I now know one very happy owner.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Yikes. Sounds like someone is getting an early start on election month price gouging :rolleyes:

Now, and likely for the next few months we're all probably going to need to be smart shoppers....

My initial thought was the price hike was due to the OP being new to the AR platform, showed interest in the rifle 2 different times and the guy just bumped up the price hoping he would pay it. Whatever the reason, the OP should just stay clear of that dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here are some options for you, that will both be well under $1000. :cool:

DTI Rifle Kit, includes everything but a stripped lower. 3 different platforms to choose from, each has a list of drop-down menus for changing stuff. Add on a lower for $105+transfer fee, since the lower has to be shipped to an FFL.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

Then there's the CMMG M4LE, a special run WASP coated 16" Carbine that they made solely for distribution through RSR Group. Can be found online anywhere from $750-850. I own one and it's a damn good AR, I fully trust anything that CMMG produces. 100% complete, ready to fire out of the box.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Then there's the CMMG M4LE, a special run WASP coated 16" Carbine that they made solely for distribution through RSR Group. Can be found online anywhere from $750-850. I own one and it's a damn good AR, I fully trust anything that CMMG produces. 100% complete, ready to fire out of the box.
+1

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Thanks again.

James
STAG, RRA, CMMG are all excellent choices, for a little less DPMS

best bang for the buck is buy a complete lower with the roll mark of your liking then buy an upper from the group of middle tier companies,

the purpose of buying this way is to avoid paying the 10% Excise tax that you would on a complete rifle

this is a pic of my Stag 2HT with all upgrades and optic i have less than $1400 in it

stag 2HT upper $650 (includes Samson FF rails and arms 40L flip up rear sight)
Stag Lower $115
Stag Lpk $60
Magpul Furniture including rail covers and mil spec receiver extension tube and 4 FDE Pmags $150 (used you can spend less by using the standard A2 pistol grip and a standard stock kit)

Total price $915.60

you can find some pretty good deal on AR15.com for accessories and parts. but you have to keep an eye out and act fast or you will miss the good deals as they don't normally last very long.
oh and the EoTech with GG&G accucam and flip up covers was $399.00

bringing the total price to $1315.60 almost $400 less than the colt with twice the options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts