Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Brownell's part# for a tool (pick or probe or whatever) that is confirmed to actually pull that damn extractor out? I've been through several "high strength" picks that apparently aren't too strong since they were quick to simply snap while I was trying to pry that thing outta my XD-9.

Any help or recommendations for actual purchasable products is greatly appreciated!! Tnx!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I picked up these probes from Ace Hardware. I use the one in the middle to remove the extractor. I did grind off the sharp point. I use the other ones for cleaning my teeth and for general probing.
Oh yeah, I had to sand it on the sides to make it a little thinner. It's pretty strong, just gently rock it back and forth, I dumped some Rem Oil in there, but I'm not sure if that actaully helped or not.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I use a small allen wrench and just pull the extractor out, you dont HAVE to go through the hole in the back, I found it easier to just lift it out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The left side of a 1911 sear spring or my find a cut down 1911 trigger bow alot stronger. The 9's seem to be a little harder on the initial removal.
Rich
I forgot the most important thing, the firing pin must be removed first.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DougXD said:
Anyone have a Brownell's part# for a tool (pick or probe or whatever) that is confirmed to actually pull that damn extractor out? I've been through several "high strength" picks that apparently aren't too strong since they were quick to simply snap while I was trying to pry that thing outta my XD-9.

Any help or recommendations for actual purchasable products is greatly appreciated!! Tnx!
I agree. I went through (broke or bent) a handful of different "high-strength" picks from Brownell's. I tried following Ajames' direcection and came to the conclusion that my extractor must be stuck. It seemed like using the little access hole in the back didn't give me enough leverage and the point of the pciks would bend and deform when lightly pried on. I may have to try to use some of the other suggestions here and try another way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
:idea: The extractor will come out easier if you allow some penetrating oil to seep into the extractor base cavity. This area seldom receives lubrication so it is suseptable to rust seizure. Gently tapping on the extractor base with a soft metal punch to loosen the seize may help. Breaking off the main claw length with needle-nosed pliers or the punch in order to allow working room may also help. It can be a difficult task but it is possible with some patience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts