Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had the great opportunity to meet James Nicholas (ajamesp51) down in Birmingham. He replaced the extractor in my XD-9 Sub-Compact, and he didn't charge me a dime for his time! Consequently, I learned that James knows more about the XD than anyone outside of Springfield Armory.

Back to the subject: my extractor was FUBARed by Mahovsky's, the refinisher. You see, they hard chromed my entire gun without removing the extractor. They just left it in and plated over it. Once I got it back, I was having FTE's like crazy. That's why I went to see James, and he fixed my XD like it was second nature to him. (Thanks James!)

Well after James put in the new extractor everything worked fine, but only with hotter ammo. WWB and UMC both gave me an FTE about once per mag. Also, when I cleared my Sub the remaining round in the chamber would never eject out the port. It would always just fall down through the magwell.

So, I compared the slides of my Sub-Compact with my Service models and found that if I put a round in the extractor on my Service it would be held securely, but not in my Sub.

I figured it was a tolerance issue. I decided to file down an area on my extractor, and now everything works like it should.

Here's where I removed the metal:

Just remove a little bit at a time, replace the extractor and test the tension. Repeat as necessary, but don't overdo it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Interesting... looks like you gave it a little deeper 'bite' on the rim, which was just what you needed according to your description of the malf.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That makes sense and I've checked the tension on my 1911 like that. Never thought about trying it with the XD.

OK, the $64 question... how do you get the extractor out?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having a chambered round fall out the magwell is normal for an XD IMO. Mine does it and my buddies does it. I was a little shocked at this too because my Ruger spits it right out. How about it everyone?

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Go to Ajames's web site -

www.xd-hs2000.com

There you will find all the info that you will
need.

Ed

That makes sense and I've checked the tension on my 1911 like that. Never thought about trying it with the XD.

OK, the $64 question... how do you get the extractor out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts