Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the XD compact/service 4" 9MM Barrel work in the the XD sub-compact 3" 9MM?

What about the XD 45 ACP tactical or 5'' model barrel in place of the 45 ACP 4'' barrel.

I am looking for the best way to purchase an extended and threaded barrel for each.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
4 inch and 5 inch are interchangeable. the subcompact 3" model will not accept a larger barrel, because the lockup is designed differently. If you want an extended barrel for the subcompact, you'll have to order one custom..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being as this would be my first extended / threaded barrel that I would be ordering for my XD sub-compact 9mm, are there any barrel specs that are better than the rest when considering a suppressor?

• What is the difference between semi drop-in and match target?
  • Is one company better than the other as far as quality?
  • EFK had the XD barrels listed except for the sub-compact 9mm. (Can they make the extended / threaded barrel for the SC 9mm?)
  • EFK had a bunch of different measurements.
Feeling completely uneducated... :confused:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Being as this would be my first extended / threaded barrel that I would be ordering for my XD sub-compact 9mm, are there any barrel specs that are better than the rest when considering a suppressor?

• What is the difference between semi drop-in and match target?
  • Is one company better than the other as far as quality?
  • EFK had the XD barrels listed except for the sub-compact 9mm. (Can they make the extended / threaded barrel for the SC 9mm?)
  • EFK had a bunch of different measurements.
Feeling completely uneducated... :confused:
Not an expert on suppressors. Never could afford them. EFK's are good barrels with good quality. Barsto probably has a slightly better following because they have been around longer. The difference in the semi drop-in
and the match barrel is that the drop-in will often do just that, drop in. Sometimes with a little minor fitting. Match barrels generally always have to be fitted by a gunsmith to get the best quality. I have no information for SC barrels but it would be difficult for a suppressor to function on such a short barrel using the XD lock up system.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm just curious and I don't want to create a thread. If I wanted to get a suppressor for my XD9 Service. I'd need to get a Tactical barrel and than have it threaded. I'd have to go through and get my tax stamp and a suppressor. What kind of suppressor would I need? Anyone have a link to it? I think it'd be really cool to do.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'm just curious and I don't want to create a thread. If I wanted to get a suppressor for my XD9 Service. I'd need to get a Tactical barrel and than have it threaded. I'd have to go through and get my tax stamp and a suppressor. What kind of suppressor would I need? Anyone have a link to it? I think it'd be really cool to do.
Yeah, that would be cool. Almost as cool as running up the score on UK.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can use a factory barrel that is longer then the frame(SC excluded), but that you'll have 1" sticking out, versus the typical .55" you see in factory threaded barrels.
Not only looks weird but the extended distance of the suppressor, could result in failures to cycle properly.

I went with Storm Lake, their website is easy to use, great CS, and the only company I found that would do a 4.55" barrel for my XD9 Service.

Without argue the best suppressor for a 9mm, is a SWR Trident 9

I have one that is pending ATF approval (any day now), so I only got the LCD.

My cost
Barrel $220
Suppressor $600
LCD $125
Dealer paperwork $100
Stamp $200
Then a
3 month+ wait

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yeah, that would be cool. Almost as cool as running up the score on UK.
Running up the score? I don't know about you but I know how the BCS works. It's not like we're talking about the NFL. It's based on a points system and you have to show off and run up the score if you want to get some place, especially the position we were and still are in as a one loss team. :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was considering the same thing - putting an extended length, threaded barrel on my XD9sc in order to add a suppressor. I've been unable to find any aftermarket barrels for the sub-compact, although they are available for the service and tactical models. I checked Bar-sto, Jarvis, etc. Having a one-off custom barrel may be possible, but will probably be pricey.

I'd originally bought the SC with the intent to carry it, but found it a bit bulky, especially for summer time carry. Since then, it's been relegated to home defense duty

At this point I'm considering trying to sell the SC, or trade it for a service model and get a threaded barrel for the service model. A new barrel, suppressor, tax stamp and fees will be pricey, but I think it's a more logical plan, for me at least.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I could see suppressing a Service, but wouldn't even bother to try it on a SC... you'll never notice the extra inch of slide by the time it's all set up and could always grip-chop it..

A 9mm a Trident is great with proper ammo, but a Blackslide .45ACP is amazing. A 45 is so much easier to get nice and quiet due to the round's slow speed. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Running up the score? I don't know about you but I know how the BCS works. It's not like we're talking about the NFL. It's based on a points system and you have to show off and run up the score if you want to get some place, especially the position we were and still are in as a one loss team. :wink:
C'mon dude, the gators grab your sense of humor? (pun intended)

·
Registered
769 Posts
A little while ago I talked to the people at Storm Lake, and they said they will hopefully have XD SC barrels available by the end of the year.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I could see suppressing a Service, but wouldn't even bother to try it on a SC... you'll never notice the extra inch of slide by the time it's all set up and could always grip-chop it..

A 9mm a Trident is great with proper ammo, but a Blackslide .45ACP is amazing. A 45 is so much easier to get nice and quiet due to the round's slow speed. :mrgreen:
I'm no suppressor expert, but I hear the .45 is rather tough to suppress, simply due to the hole size in the suppressor for a .45 to fit though. Even giving the .45 is naturally sub-sonic, it tends to be much louder then a 9mm.

I just happen to get my BATFE approval today.
Using various brands of 147grain 9mm, it has a moderately loud clanking sound, but doesnt at all sound like a round report, more like a hammer hitting an anvil.
From a distance, it's a mild clank, but that too doesnt at all sound "gun" like, and rather quite when mixed in with typically environmental noise. Using my dog for example, who is extremely scared of gun fire and runs to opposite side of the house-with the suppressor,she didnt even lift her head, when sitting on a back pouch about 50' away from me shooting. :p

Shooting in my shed to the outside, the "clank" hurts the ears, but nothing close to what a indoor gun shot would do.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It changes point of impact a bit , so adjustable sights become handy.
Accuracy increases a small margin since some of the turbulence of gases coming out the barrel is removed, thus having a lesser effect on the bullet.

Most people do report a tighter grouping with a suppressor. So, Yes, accuracy is effected, but in a good way.

·
Registered
902 Posts
A buddy of mine has a suppressed full-size 1911 and all you can noticeably hear is the slide cycling. The darned thing is quieter than some supp'd .22's I've been around!

I've only played with rifle/carbine suppressors a bit personally, so it's good to know your 9 is doing well and gives me some hope after seeing some less-than-impressive 9mm setups.

I'm no suppressor expert, but I hear the .45 is rather tough to suppress, simply due to the hole size in the suppressor for a .45 to fit though. Even giving the .45 is naturally sub-sonic, it tends to be much louder then a 9mm.

I just happen to get my BATFE approval today.
Using various brands of 147grain 9mm, it has a moderately loud clanking sound, but doesnt at all sound like a round report, more like a hammer hitting an anvil.
From a distance, it's a mild clank, but that too doesnt at all sound "gun" like, and rather quite when mixed in with typically enviromental noice. Using my dog for example, who is exteremly scared of gun fire and runs to opposite side of the house-with the suppessor,she didnt even lift her head, when sitting on a back pouch about 50' away from me shooting. :p

Shooting in my shed to the outside, the "clank" hurts the ears, but nothing close to what a indoor gun shot would do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts