Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am left handed and apparently my thumb is shorter than most or something becuase it is difficult to release the mags without changing my grip slightly so my thumb can push the release.

Has anyone installed a extended mag release? I noticed one for sale on AJames site.

Removing the stock mag release? It appears there is a pin the magazine retainer pivots on. I assume if the pin is removed the retainer will then come out. One the retainer is removed will the mag release button slide out?

AJames disassembly instructions did show how to remove and change the mag release.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did find a thread on reassembly but not disassembly. That will probably be good enough though since I can just wor k backwards.

Still interested to hear if anyone has extended release.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I too have wee hands. I eject the mag using the middle finger on my strong hand. It is odd to most, but it works for me and I am quite fast with it.

We have sold many of the Canyon Creek mag releases. I know that most installed the releases themselves, where others had a local GS do the work. Even though they are just 10% longer, they may a big difference.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Having nothing but military training for handgun use on Berettas, I got used to using my strong side (left) middle finger. Even with the ambi mag release, it's still easier. Using my thumb doesn't even come naturally any more.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yeah put me down for that middle finger trick to. im a lefty and it came naturally from when i first started shooting , all ican say is try it and if you dont like it well try the bigger mag relese :wink:

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I third that middle finger strong hand. Basically you can eject the mag while shooting with one hand, I think its faster since I dont have to readjust my grip and turn the pistol so my thumb can reach the mag release.

OldSchool I really wanted to put in a small hads joke, but I wont.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is something I will definitely try. I had been experimenting using my trigger finger (removed from trigger, curled up on strong side of gun)which was releatively fast but it still caused me to adjust my grip. The middle finger seems so natural once you think about it, thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts