Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done several mods to my XDm in 9mm. I would like to add an extended release for the magazine.

I was at a Basics of Tactical Pistol training a couple of weeks ago at Asymmetric Solutions outside of St. Louis (Home - Asymmetric Solutions USA and we went through several scenarios where we were live-firing and had to do mag changes. I found that my thumb was not engaging the mag release quickly.

If anyone has installled an extended mag release that they are happy with, please share the results and where you got the extended mag release.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I've got the Springer Precision unit for all of my guns:

Springer Precision extended magazine release Springfield Armory XD XDm
Best XDm extended mag release - Springfield XD - Brian Enos s Forums... Maku mozo

I have yet to have it release unintentionally.

I now rarely take my 4.5-inch XDm9 to classes anymore, but when I do, it's in a Raven Concealment Phantom of some form or another. No problems with unintentional release.

I have two 3.8 Compacts, one 9mm for carry, and another for training/range-use. When I have to use an OWB holster, it's also in the same RCS Phantoms. I have two Pure Kustom Black Ops Pros for IWB (strong side, 2:30-ish, with a very aggressive forward cant [I know, that's weird, but that's how I draw, and that also allows for very good concealment on my body with just a T-shirt] - one for training abuse and one for carry, and I also have yet to have an unintentional release.

It's a lot more leverage.

I first experienced trouble releasing the mag on my XDms during Costa's HE02 classes, when we shot extensively from the ground and the gun saw a lot of sand/dirt ingress, which jammed up the works. It eventually got so bad that I had to punch the mag release with my middle finger, from the right side of the frame (I'm right handed).

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have one with stock release and another with the .1 extension from PRP. Definitely prefer the extension. Amazing what a difference it makes really. It was easy to install; or rather, will be easier on the next one when I actually pay attention and don't let the mag release spring move completely out of position :mad:

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
in a struggle, your mag release will be more likely to be pressed, your mag will drop out and you will have a one shot wonder.

ask me how i know.

When i get my carry gun back, the button is getting shaved down. That is never happening again.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
^ I think that when it goes hands-on, anything that can happen will. Once it goes hands-on, my view of it is that more likely than not, it's going to be a one-shot deal (and in this context, the XD-series has a further limitation - that of the grip safety - over more conventional striker-fired weapons) regardless, and that some sort of remedial action will need to be taken *if* I am able to take that contact shot.

Plenty of LEOs have had their mags dropped during ECQC.

I think the balance to be struck is between unintentional release (outside of the extreme-close-quarters combatives context) and ease-of-release.

Although that's a good thought, Knightslugger.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
in a struggle, your mag release will be more likely to be pressed, your mag will drop out and you will have a one shot wonder.

ask me how i know.

When i get my carry gun back, the button is getting shaved down. That is never happening again.
You bring up a good point. I should have made clear that I was referring to my guns that are primarily used for gun-games. On a carry gun, this should be a consideration to be factored in. For myself, I would not decide against a mag release extension for this reason alone, but it should be a factor in the decision. I also will say that I have no plans on getting the extension for my carry gun though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts