Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an AR platform, what gives the most stability?

Gripping the barrel with and extended handguard, or using a vertical foregrip?

thanks.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
easiest way to confirm the hand on the handguard/thumb over bore is much more stable....with a properly cleared, unloaded rifle (i know...should be obvious...but...) pop a VFG onto the rail....hold it "action movie style" and have someone grab the upper reciever and shake it; the weapon will flail around quite easily...

repeat the exercise with a hand on the handguard, thumb over bore...you will see an obvious difference...I personally like the Magpul AFGs for an indexing point and a bit more confort; Shooting buddy likes a handstop...lots of options there...

Leave the VFGs to the Mallninjas

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It's personal preference. I don't have an extended handgaurd on my AR (I put a Magpul MOE on it to save weight), so I use a VG and I find I like it much better. For me it's a very natural position and it helps alleviate some of the discomfort I have in my support elbow from tendonitis.

I know the "way forward" grip is very popular and the "In" thing right now, but I say use whatever works for you. The tactical world is highly fickle, and the definition of what techniques are proper and correct changes all the time. VGs were the big thing at one time, now not so much. Much of this is so magazine writers, instructors and others can say they've now invented "the next great thing" to promote themselves, sell books and DVDs, get people to attend their schools etc. That's simply capitalism and I certainly don't begrude anyone for doing it, but as someone seeking good info that you may need to save your life one day, always keep that in mind and find ways to filter out hype and noise. Focus on what you need for your situation.

At the end of the day I don't care who/what instructors are pushing a technique in order to sell themselves and their schools, I care about what is comfortable for me and, most importantly, allows me to HIT THE TARGET. Hitting is all that counts, everything else is BS IMHO. If you hit, how you do it doesn't matter. So experiment with different techniques, take some classes from different instructors and figure out your preference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a huge fan of running a 15" freefloat handguard. The Midwest Industries SS and SS Keymod extended length handguards are amazing. A bit pricey for many folks, $199 and $220, respectively, but I have not found anything I personally like as much as reaching to the end if the handguard and wrapping my thumb over the top if it for stability.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
I don't think I'd be able to hit consistently with a vertical grip, it runs 90 degrees counter to the way I shoot. Burst or full-auto from the hip might be fun for a little while, but refer to point #1...ain't hittin' sh*t.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
For standing 'static' and shooting at targets, thumb over bore. For shooting on the move, VFG. The TOB with the arm extended is the most support you can have, but only works with limited movement and articulation. the VFG is used to help pull the weapon into the shoulder tighter to help control the muzzle jump and point faster. They are both the 'best' depending on the situation.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
in order from what I've seen from the top shooters in 2014

MI keymod/SS or geissle or the BCM all over 14"

Handstops on the same rails

Vertical foregrips, anchoring where they meet the rail with your middle finger so thumbs still over bore.

Life is fluid, the keymod allows you to put your hand EVERYWHERE and get good purchase, so no adjusting just shooting around corners under cars switching hands a bad shooting angle or just when stressed putting your hand in a different place after a mag change, you don't have to stop and bobble.

Different body positions have different ideal hand positions for you, limiting yourself to 1 lock in point is counter productive.

a handstop to keep your hand from the muzzle while shouldn't be necessary is cheap insurance. Seen more than a few gloves shredded by battle comps over the years.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
For me it's with my hand all the way extended and my thumb running along the top side of the rail. It works well with thinner tubes like the KMR.

I also run a VG on my duty rifle and it provides a stable platform as well. I feel that with the foregrip, I get less fatigued when holding the rifle longer. Probably because my elbow is in a little bit more and not straight out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the extended handguard is what all the tactical/ 3-gun shooters are using now. But I am an old guy, with arthritis, and a vertical foregrip (Magpul MOE) works comfortably for me.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm better (faster while accurate and tire more slowly) with a mid length handguard with an afg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts