Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yah it’s a little goofy looking. It looks OK in my XD-40 Tactical with the magazine well. In my XD-40 Service without the mag-well it does look goofy.

The extension would give you +3 in 40S&W or 357Sig for a total of 15 rounds. It should give you about +6 in 9mm. I don't have a 9mm XD but using my XD-40 magazine body I was able to get 22 9mm rounds in the magazine. With 45 GAP I would expect +2 but did not have any way to test it.

The magazine is just a shade under 140mm in length this makes is legal for shooting USPSA limited division.

This is the first prototype and yet untested. It uses the stock spring and follower. The factory basepad and basepad lock are not used. It seems to cycle snap caps well in my testing no mater how fast I cycle the action. I will be going to the range tomorrow night and put it though its paces.

What do you guys think? I designed it to be functional and sacrificed aesthetics to aid machine-ability on my relative small CNC mill I have access to at work. How important would looks be to you? Any other functional or cosmetic suggestions, fire away.

I have been working on this extended capacity magazine basepad and my version of a magazine well off and on for awhile now. I still have a good bit of re-engineering to working out some of the details on the magazine well but the extended capacity magazine base pad is a much simpler project and with a few more tweaks I could probably make up a small batch of these.

If I get enough interest I believe a friend of mine can help me make these on a much larger CNC he has access to. It took about 2.5 hours to make this one on my small CNC, not quiet cost effect.

Speaking of cost what would you guys pay for this. The only extended capacity basepad available for the XD is the Pearce extension and they go for $10. Fancy CNC milled aluminum extended capacity base pads for race guns like Dawsons precision go in $30+ ranges.

What would you be willing to pay for a CNC machined Delrin basepad?

Any comments, suggestions, or question are more than welcome and desired.

Thanks
mcb

ETA: I was playing with it some more and I was able to get a 16th 40S&W round in the magazine. It was very stiff to insert and would not drop freely when releasing this full of a magazine. It apears the bottom of the magazine tube swells slightly under the pressure. But I was able to get +4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would be intrested if it functioned reliably. The looks on it are a bit lacking, it would be nice if the style could be a little cleaner. As for price keep it competative with the other extensions on the market if possible.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I think it's a great idea. It is ugly however. And I don't think I'd buy one for my 40. 3 more rounds isn't that important to me (I don't compete though) but 22 rounds for a 9mm would be fantastic.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

How about these cosmetic options? I personally like option 1 the best. It might even work with a Compact XD and act like a finger perch.

Option 2 should look a lot like a longer Pearce extension. Functionally this one may cause problems with the forward screw hole since there is a lot less material to support it.

Here's what I would like to do. If initial testing goes well this evening then I would like to find four or five volunteers that would purchase a prototype and test the heck out of it and then report on how it worked or didn’t work.

I would sell the prototypes for $10 that should cover my shipping costs and the raw material. I will eat the machine time and engineering cost since it’s my own time right now.

If you would like to volunteer send me a PM. I would like to find XD owners with a variety of XD models so please list the XD's you could test it with. I would hope to test them with all sizes and all calibers so if you own multiple models that would be great. Weather or not you are using a magazine well or other modifications would also be important and desired.

I would be looking to ship these probably sometime after the first of the year. I need to get some more material ordered and find the time in this busy holiday season to set the machine up to run out a handful of these.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank R/T The lip around the top is made as close to the factory as I could replicate. I wanted to try to avoid breaking ejectors when the magazine is slamed home with and open slide.

mcb

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the renderings I like all 4 of them.... egronomics would be more important than cosmetics... I would have to feel them on a gun to pic one... which ever wayyou go the styling is a big improvment. I'd be up for beta testing if needed be :lol:

Nice work and I hope it all goes well for you.

**Edit** You can put me down for a few prototypes

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like #2....would it fit in a Barsto "type" magwell?

They all look great

Put me on the list for prototype models

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 to prototype list. Would pay between 10-25$ for the pad, or 30-55$ for a mag.

I like options #3 and #4 the best, as they look like they would "blend" to the magwells the best.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spankymac said:
I like #2....would it fit in a Barsto "type" magwell?

They all look great

Put me on the list for prototype models
Hmmm... I pretty sure the the orginal design would work with Barsto Mag-well or would require the least modification to work . The other design may need more material removed around the front-top.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Any of the designs would work for me. I like ugly!!
I'll help you with the testing. Would like to see how many of the GAP would get in there.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good new and bad news. It does function but stripping the last round out of the magazine can be slightly unreliable, I suspect the last two round in a 9mm might be problematic. This was not unforseen but I had hope it would not be problem. It would have been nice to have gotten away with the orginal spring. I need a longer and/or stiffer magazine spring.

This problem has a silver lining I am going to try some of the stiffer springs that ajamesp51 carries that are 10% stiffer. They are for the 10 round magazines and will require the creation of a new follower. The follower should be a quick design job and might let me increase capacity by one more round, especially in the 9mm.

mcb

ETA: Thanks for all the responses. I have a nice list of potential testers, I beleive I have all three caliber covered and at least one barsto magazine well. I will be contacting you guys in the coming weeks to send out prototypes as I get them ready.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would like to help in your testing. I have2 XD-9"s , a 4" and a sub compact, niether with a magwell. Jost box stock. I will be glad to pay.
Thanks. Robert

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would be interested in purchasing 3, but I would like to see each of the options on a representative gun.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You probably could even sell just followers too I bet. Not everyone wants a big extension but would plop down $10 to have an extra round or two without adding any size.

This is a REAL problem that no one seems to want to correct. There is no available replacement springs for hi-caps and SA refuses to sell any to me or offer replacement.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts