Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to keep my XD40 cocked with 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber at all times? I mean, is it harmful for the spring inside of the gun? (I want to make sure that I do not wear out any parts of the gun) Would it be better, if I keep the gun stored, to have nothing in the chamber, and not cock the gun?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I keep mine stuffed at all times. Springs fatigue from cycling, not from being stored compressed. And then they fail slowly with usually ample warning that they are getting weak if you are paying attention. But this should be after thousands of cyclings, so if you are sitting on a loaded firearm without shooting it much, the springs are going to be fine.

The lube however can dry out and cause you problems if you ignore the firearm for more than a year (more or less depending on storage conditions),

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
atkmano, you just got your expert opinion :D

if you still don't like the feeling of having your pistol in "condition 1".

go to "condition 2", loaded mag, empty chamber, striker un-cocked.

it really doesn't take long to work the slide, if you need to get back into ready mode.

The choice is yours, be safe always! :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
When my XD is out of the safe, it's always in condition 1 except for when I'm asleep, then it goes into condition 2...I have a hard time working a doorknob when I just get up; I definitely shouldn't be working a pistol without at least a few seconds to wake up.

Even when it's in the safe (like now) I've got it in condition 2.

I'm rambling and mumbling; Don is about as expert an opinion as you'll get. I'm just seconding...or thirding...that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
LOL Mr. Owl.

I keep mine with one in the pipe whether in the safe or out. It's usually in the drawer of the bedside table at night. No kiddies here anymore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
An unloaded pistol is just an expensive hammer :wink:

Condition 1 when awake, condition 2 when asleep and locked in the safe when I'm drunk :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bed side are around the house I just keep then in a holster.If my alarm system goes off in the middle of the night I want a couple of seconds to get it together not grabbing the XD half asleep.I feel I might mess up racking the slide.On a G-Code are simular holster you can take the paddle off and adjust the tension for easy removal.Very fast and much safer.

Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
skygun9 said:

Condition 1 when awake, condition 2 when asleep and locked in the safe when I'm drunk :lol:
LOL :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
skygun9 said:

I hope your car keys are in the safe to.

Ed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lets say I do condition 1 during the day, and put it in cond 2 at night. what should I do with the round I eject, assuming I do this for weeks straight. Isn't that one round I keep chambering and ejecting getting dangerous as far as pressure due to bullet set-back (is that the correct term)?

I'm thinking that people don't keep using the same round in the chamber, but I want to know fore sure. Thanks.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
The prefered method is to switch to another bullet for each chambering. That way you won't have the problem of the bullet getting pushed back into the casing enough to cause a high pressure round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts