Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am fairly new to Springfield and I decided to get an XD-S for my first. Can't say it was the best experience. I loaded some training rounds and they fed just fine, but when I threw in some Hornady Critical Defense it would get stuck in between the slide and the feeding ramp EVERY TIME! I sent it back to Springfield and btw, they have awesome customer service! (But I'm sure you guys already know) They cut and polished the feeding ramp along with other things and sent it back drenched in oil. When I loaded the first Hornady it jammed once again, but I was being gentle. As soon as I used my big boy strength to rack it, it fed just perfect. Now I have no problems! Didn't know springfield was such a rough B*tc*!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The tolerances for these short slide / large caliber combinations is very tight.

In any firearm, you should never "ride" the slide home (i.e., don't softly guide the slide home with your hand) - Always let it come back into battery at full speed. Firearms are designed to operate at full speed.

Also, the shorter the slide, the more prone the firearm is to jamming due to "limp-wristing" - keep a firm grip - the recoil spring needs a firm wrist against which to operate or it may not be able to fully retract.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't be gentle when racking the first round. I use the slide release myself, haven't had a problem with the first round, ever. Did have problems going into battery with subsequent rounds, but SA fixed that for me and it's been great since.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Looks like you got it figured out...shoot away and have fun. I'd experiment with other cc rounds and find a better one than cd. Gold Dot makes an excellent home defense round!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
In addition, not all guns like all ammo. Try it with another brand of JHP's.

This is off topic, but CD is not the best self defense round, IMO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've read more bad than good about CD ammo. To be honest I had never shot it. I picked up a box for my XD 9 here a while back, but I haven't shot it yet either.

I'll probably carry Speer Gold Dot in my XDs when it comes.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Critical duty ammo is some of the best ammo
Critical Duty is designed for full-size handguns, and doesn't perform well in shot barreled handguns like the XDs. Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger series are better choices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts