Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started rolling for x39 and noticed that, at least when compared to x54r brass, x39 brass cases appear to need A LOT of trimming! I didn't measure just how out-of-spec each casing was, but I could see lots of shavings left on my bench...much more than I'm used to seeing. Granted, I only roll for the two calibers listed above (soon to be three since I just picked up a "starter" black gun this week). Some cases had a few of what looked liked 1/2 millimeter-sized shavings removed! The brass I'm prepping appears to be Bulgarian production with the "10 13" head stamp.

Is it normal for this caliber cartridge to grow in size so much after just one firing? Could it have something to do with the fact this appears to be military-grade, once-fired brass? Just curious so that I can better gauge the expected reloading life of x39 brass. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I shoot an AK and seem to trim the most after the first couple of reloadings, maybe .030 to .040 thou. at the worst.
After that the cases seem to settle down and either stretch very little or not at all.

Edit: I load Lee CTL312-160-2R cast bullets, powder coated, sometimes gas checked and sized to .314 over 20 to 22 gns of H4198.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts