Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,436 Posts
^^^ No, this was just on some medical/ER show... Like that guy that had a huge Rambo knife stuckin his head.... Some guy was in hospital recovering from some crazy... 13/17 shots? Hell, 50 Cent was shot 9 times. Just google "most times shot without dying".... One case of 20 rounds, someone survived 30...I didnt read but like what... 22... 10 shot, 15 shots...

And yes... Your example. The guy died, but he put up a heck of a fight. Great article.

I honestly don't know what i would do... In something that crazy... Fire can be cover. But clearly the guy wasnt ducking and running. So yes, officer is scrambling, getting shot at... You are going to miss... But never getting the chance for one solid good shot to end it... Oh ya... He did. 3 shots to the brain pan.... Just crazy.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
278 Posts
Man did I stir the pot. I try to prepare myself mentally that if I have to draw my arm. Its go time first hit is key, shot placement is key. Minimum 3 hits to the torso. I try to remind my self that a target in motion is still threat. From all the research I've done my conclusion is that until your in that situation, we never really know how we are going to react. I hope I'm never in a situation where I have to use a firearm to defend my life or the life of one of my loved ones, but I hope to God that if it ever happens I'm prepared and willing to do so.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So has it been determined if the assailant had body armor AND what caliber or round did the deputy shoot?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So has it been determined if the assailant had body armor AND what caliber or round did the deputy shoot?
It didn't look like he had body armor on. He was either crazy or on something and just didn't give a crap about being shot. He only took a couple steps after the shots started. He was probably dead man walking after the first couple. That instant drop like on TV isn't really a thing in most cases. Watch some hunting videos. Guys make clean shots with high powered rifles and often deer still manage a jump and a few steps before they drop. A less then perfect shot and the animal making it 50+ yards isn't uncommon. And something like a 270 or 308 has a hell of a lot more power then any pistol caliber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All of those that carry a 10mm for bear may also wish to evaluate their tactics.
You only get a head shot with a big bear. Carried a 44 mag for years but my hands aren’t what they used to be. I believe my 10 with hard lead flat point will do the job but only a head shot. My 44 may work on a body shot but close encounters with the big bears would give them time to continue. I always practice and reload for accuracy and really never spend time just being ok with in the zone. My sights are set for aiming at the nose and bullets hit 1 to 2” high. I set all my handguns up this way. Never been afraid to carry a 6 gun as I’ve always believed in accuracy first, round count second. One more thing, don’t count on that bear spray. Bears are becoming more aggressive and they will go right through the bear spray and continue. One shot above the noses and between the eyes. Find or make the ammo that will let you do that consistently.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
hmm.... I have been carrying my Kahr CW40 a lot... just easier to throw it on..... I think maybe I need to go back to the XDMc and the M&P9c, for exactly what was shown in the clip. 😲

(Not both at the same time!!)

·
Registered
735 Posts
What, another example of why carrying a little .380 or .22 is a bad idea.
The video must be Photoshoped, the forum experts say that more than 3 shots is so rare you don't have to worry about it.
This stuff happens to non cops every week, which is why we train and carry real caliber/capacity guns.

Firstly, this is a terrible event which I do not take lightly. My thoughts go out to the Deputy, bystanders and the family of the fallen.

That said, lets be realistic and avoid making judgments based on expectation often derived from tv and movies. Instant (stop in your tracks) responses are not all that common. Its not all that common because real life is not TV.

Having the luxury of slow-mo video in the safety and calm of my own home, this fight was noticeably over by the 3rd shot. The fact that the determined fellow managed to continue obviously hindered locomotion (studder-step) for a few more paces does not mean much. Presuming the deputy was armed with a 9mm, I expect that 5-6- or 7 shots of 38 or 380 would have likely had similar effects in roughly the same time frame. Shot placements is often more critical than caliber or base capacity. In my estimation this is hardly any reason to harp on 38 or 380.

In general, if a person is going to carry a smallish caliber weapon of rather limited capacity( such as a most 380s), they should probably be mindful of strategics and tactics which lend to optimized effectiveness.

I often carry a 5 shot 38 and I do not feel as if my choice is lacking.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Firstly, this is a terrible event which I do not take lightly. My thoughts go out to the Deputy, bystanders and the family of the fallen.

That said, lets be realistic and avoid making judgments based on expectation often derived from tv and movies. Instant (stop in your tracks) responses are not all that common. Its not all that common because real life is not TV.

Having the luxury of slow-mo video in the safety and calm of my own home, this fight was noticeably over by the 3rd shot. The fact that the determined fellow managed to continue obviously hindered locomotion (studder-step) for a few more paces does not mean much. Presuming the deputy was armed with a 9mm, I expect that 5-6- or 7 shots of 38 or 380 would have likely had similar effects in roughly the same time frame. Shot placements is often more critical than caliber or base capacity. In my estimation this is hardly any reason to harp on 38 or 380.

In general, if a person is going to carry a smallish caliber weapon of rather limited capacity( such as a most 380s), they should probably be mindful of strategics and tactics which lend to optimized effectiveness.

Ummm no.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Good points but to say the fight was over by the 3rd shoot is simply not true. This officer did what he had to do, he deployed his tasser to no avail. This is a disturbing incident but its a real world incident. Me personally im content with the outcome here. Our good guy gos home, no innocent bystanders were hurt, and the crazed criminal doesn't get another opportunity to hurt anyone ever again. If he the crazed man was high as a kite and can't recall his actions. It was his choice to put himself in that mind set by choosing to use drugs. You play with fire your bound to get burned.

The argument of caliber is pointless. Its shoot placement and repetitive shoot placement. Its more important to choose a platform chamber in a caliber that allows you to place those shots.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Or keep shooting till they change shape or catch fire for me all the science in the world means nothing I'm going to keep shooting till you stop
Thats a irresponsible response. You are responsible for the bullets coming out of your gun. If for example you hurt or injured 1 of my loved 1's, defending yours. Should I draw and fire my firearm at you?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thats a irresponsible response. You are responsible for the bullets coming out of your gun. If for example you hurt or injured 1 of my loved 1's, defending yours. Should I draw and fire my firearm at you?
That is an ignorant response.
These devils advocate babblings are pointless.
The shooting we are discussing had all hits, and a 6 shot gun would have ran out of ammo. These are facts, nothing more to discuss.

I'll bring up the shooting my driver was involved in a couple years ago since you really want to "what if" things.
He was pinned between the trailer and building while chocking his trailer wheels (OSHA requirement). 5 thugs attempted to rob him of his high dollar freight. He fired 24 shots and had 23 hits. 4 thugs dead, 1 made it a block away before collapsing, that thug is now in jail.
He drives a Peterbuilt tractor with 53' trailer that combined length is 77 feet.
Should he be damned because he missed with one shot, most likely because he had been hit himself 3 times.

If he carried a .22 or 6 shot anything he would be dead. You can what if that all day but each hood rat still had ammo when they died, if my driver ran out of ammo he would be dead.

kyletx1911 is 100% correct, shoot until the threat stops if you want to go home.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The shooting we are discussing had all hits, and a 6 shot gun would have ran out of ammo. These are facts, nothing more to discuss.

I'll bring up the shooting my driver was involved in a couple years ago since you really want to "what if" things.
He was pinned between the trailer and building while chocking his trailer wheels (OSHA requirement). 5 thugs attempted to rob him of his high dollar freight. He fired 24 shots and had 23 hits. 4 thugs dead, 1 made it a block away before collapsing, that thug is now in jail.
He drives a Peterbuilt tractor with 53' trailer that combined length is 77 feet.
Should he be damned because he missed with one shot, most likely because he had been hit himself 3 times.

If he carried a .22 or 6 shot anything he would be dead. You can what if that all day but each hood rat still had ammo when they died, if my driver ran out of ammo he would be dead.

kyletx1911 is 100% correct, shoot until the threat stops if you want to go home.

·
Registered
11,983 Posts

I was taught from a very young age, shoot until the threat is no more. Fortunately, I have never had too and hopefully never will. However, if I should, I will shoot until there is no longer a threat or I am out of ammo.

As for injuring/hurting someone other than my original threat and someone else starts shooting at me. That would constitute another threat to me and would be treated as such. Unless, they identify themselves as LE.

·
Registered
278 Posts

My point was missed, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

My point was, its important to know our limits and select a platform and caliber we can handle. Im all for staying in the fight until the threat is no longer a threat. Being a responsible firearm owner means being proficient with your weapon and knowing your capabilities. Drawing your weapon and emptying your magazine in a situation where you have a good chance of hurting or killing innocent bystanders is irresponsible. If you can dump a 380 mag in to a perps chest great but if you pull a micro 45 and dump your mag and hit your target once what are the rest of those bullets hitting?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Good points but to say the fight was over by the 3rd shoot is simply not true.
You are entitled to your opinion..

I do not fault the Deputy for continuing to fire but I stand by my assessment. The offender was not likely to do much more than he did ( after the 3rd shot). Perhaps you do not see what I see.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That is a very compelling proclamation.
Look at the post above the one I quoted (38).
No matter what I say you will argue, so I'll just say, no.

My post above (34) shows factual info of a person I know that would be dead if he had your mentality, but again, you will argue so why should I bother?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts