Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This a quote from the article title above. The Evolution of the Modern Semi-Automatic

Pretty interesting:
When fired with match-grade ammunition, the basic M16 is probably the most accurate standard service rifle the U. S. has ever issued. Designed by Eugene Stoner, the M16 uses a direct gas impingement operating system. This system has tremendous advantages over any of the other gas-piston systems with regard to achieving high accuracy. Basically, the gas behind the bullet is tapped well down the barrel through a hole in the barrel. It enters a tube that transports that gas back to the rifle’s receiver where it impacts an extension of the bolt carrier. When the bolt carrier is pushed to the rear, it unlocks and pulls the bolt rearward, initiating bolt reciprication.
With this system there is no operating rod, piston or gas cylinder hanging onto the rifle, rattling around, moving and imparting vibrations while the bullet travels down the barrel. It is also relatively easy to free float the M16’s barrel to take advantage of this situation, something that is nearly impossible with most other gas-operated semi-automatics. Even better, when properly set up the bullet is out of the rifle’s barrel well before any of the rifle’s mechanical parts start moving. Everything considered, Stoner’s design should theoretically be just as accurate as a bolt-action of equal quality and this is proving to be the case.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I already have the disease, get your dope away from me.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is also relatively easy to free float the M16’s barrel to take advantage of this situation, something that is nearly impossible with most other gas-operated semi-automatics.
noob alert:rolleyes:

Would someone please tell me their own experiences when dealing with stock handguards vs. free floating one. Is there really THAT MUCH of a difference, or is it that same type of argument when someone uses such and such ammo because it's 2 fps more than the other brand of ammo (or the 9mm vs. .45 debate:twisted:)?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume referring to the gas operating system dumping dirty gas back into the bolt, etc.

The word he left out was '$h!ts' between still and where!
No argument there, just noted that when you go to piston and rod you lose accuracy.

To me having gas directed into the bolt carrier group is no biggie. Hey, my ARs have no problem with jams while shooting three gun and service rifle matches. If I ever have to use it in a SD situation I doubt I'll be rolling around in the dirt shooting hundreds of rounds.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
No argument there, just noted that when you go to piston and rod you lose accuracy.

To me having gas directed into the bolt carrier group is no biggie. Hey, my ARs have no problem with jams while shooting three gun and service rifle matches. If I ever have to use it in a SD situation I doubt I'll be rolling around in the dirt shooting hundreds of rounds.
So are you saying that the M16/AR-15 is more accurate than the M14/M1A?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
noob alert:rolleyes:

Would someone please tell me their own experiences when dealing with stock handguards vs. free floating one. Is there really THAT MUCH of a difference, or is it that same type of argument when someone uses such and such ammo because it's 2 fps more than the other brand of ammo (or the 9mm vs. .45 debate:twisted:)?

:confused:
If you want an accurate AR for varmint shooting, or target shooting where 1 or 1/2 moa difference is important, it's best to go with a free float tube. If your just plinking and such no.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you saying that the M16/AR-15 is more accurate than the M14/M1A?
I'm not saying that. The article and the NRA match results are saying it.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
if you clean it, it doesnt really matter where it takes a crap.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
If you want an accurate AR for varmint shooting, or target shooting where 1 or 1/2 moa difference is important, it's best to go with a free float tube. If your just plinking and such no.
I'll also add that if you are going to do the varmint shooting route and want the ultimate in accuracy, get the upper chambered in .223, at least 20" Heavy barrel (HBAR for extended shooting at longer ranges), 1/9 twist to stabilize the lighter bullets and stay away from chrome lined bores.

:D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Eugene Stoner was very aware of piston-rod systems when he designed the AR.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i would actually venture to say that its not really the rifle, but the shooter. At a local high power match a Border partol agent with a 14.5 inch M4 out shot almost everybody with their 1500 dollar customized Ar's. the rifle does matter but if the shooter is a great shot that matters also. i can take a customized 2000 dollar AR and not shoot worth a damn because i am not the best shot.

noob alert
lol que huevotes tienes lol

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's another quote from the article. Considering the distance, and the winner shooting a bolt action with a scope the Wimbledon winner and the Farr Trophy winner were not too far apart.

At the National Matches, the Wimbledon Cup is shot with any rifle and any sights. Invariably this means a heavy-barreled bolt-action target rifle with a powerful scope firing a powerful, flat-shooting cartridge. There is a special trophy for the high-scoring shooter using a service rifle in this match called the Farr Trophy. In 2007, the Wimbledon was won with a score of 100-6X with a heavy barreled bolt-action, match rifle with a high-powered telescopic sight. Meanwhile, the Farr Trophy was won with an iron-sighted .223 semi-automatic service rifle shooting a 96-3X, only four points and three Xs lower.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

I don't want a 1/2 MOA gun at 100yds. I want to be able to hit a man sized target at 100yds. If that is 2-3 MOA that is fine with me. But I want reliability not accuracy.

This a quote from the article title above. The Evolution of the Modern Semi-Automatic

Pretty interesting:
With this system there is no operating rod, piston or gas cylinder hanging onto the rifle, rattling around, moving and imparting vibrations while the bullet travels down the barrel.
[/quote/
That is fine for competitions. But I dont' really care for combat. I would rather have a gun that goes boom after being to hell and back then one that shoots 1/2 MOA.

if you clean it, it doesnt really matter where it takes a crap.
Ok, except that the guy was just in a firefight for 48 hrs. Its 120 degrees outside. He has already shot well over 500 rds. It is blowing 40 MPH winds and a huge sandstorm. Yeah, he's got time to just strip it down and clean it so it will work........

Piston is the way to go. AK's have em.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The thing is I'm not taking my ARs to war. I use for for home defense and competition. Neither of these scenarios require me to stay in a firefight for 48 hours in the sand at 120 degrees.

We are comparing Apples to Oranges here. I'm talking about competition AR15s, and home defense you're talking military m16s, and militias.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The thing is I'm not taking my ARs to war. I use for for home defense and competition. Neither of these scenarios require me to stay in a firefight for 48 hours in the sand at 120 degrees.

We are comparing Apples to Oranges here. I'm talking about competition AR15s, and home defense you're talking military m16s, and militias.
Dude, read what you posted...

"The M16 is the most accurate rifle the U.S. has ever issued."

It is talking about issued rifles. Yes accuracy is nice, but a piston would make it more reliable. And the accuracy would not be thrown off by that much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts