Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the specifications of an AR/AK that a common citizen can buy? For example, what's the shortest barrel length? Retractable stocks? Flash suppressors? Is there a list somewhere that defines this easily without having to go through the entire ATF/NFA site? Without having to pay a tax stamp, what are the specifications of the evilest black rifle you can buy???

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think that with an NFA tax stamp you can get pretty much anything. Otherwise, 16" barrel, no sound supressors, no select fire, nothing over .50 cal (I think).

Collapsible stocks are OK, flash hiders are OK (??), etc.

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
As stated above, soon as you go NFA, pretty much anything goes--depending on exactly what type of NFA (MG, SBR, AOW...).

Non NFA--and this depends on which state, as laws can differ (cough CA cough)--but, 16" overall barrel length--which means that the barrel with flash hider/muzzle brake must be over 16", ie, a 14.5" barrel with a 2" permanantly attached flashhider, 11" barrel with 5" permanent flashhider, etc. Collapsible/folding (on AK's) stocks, kosher; pistol grips, vertical foregrips (on rifles), good to go...flashhiders OK...

You'd pretty much need to check your state regs as to what CO limits--which, afaik, isn't much.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
pretty much so keep the barrel 16" or longer and you should be good. unless you live in NJ were I pretty much so think even owning one is a crime. in cali add the bullet button and add nearly all the evil features you want say hicap mag but even then you can add the 30 round look alikes

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
pretty much so keep the barrel 16" or longer and you should be good. unless you live in NJ where pretty much even thinking about one is a crime. in cali add the bullet button and add nearly all the evil features you want say hicap mag but even then you can add the 30 round look alikes
Fixed it for you.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Ha, and all you sucka's talk crap about CA. CA can have CIII weapons. :p

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be a vote for your favorite EBR. My vote would definitely be the MP5SD. I know it's technically not a rifle caliber but ooooohhhhhh man........me likey.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Unique to Olympic Arms is the OA Operations System which incorporates the recoil system into a flat top upper receiver eliminating the need for a buttstock. The OA-93 was the FIRST AR-15 pistol.
The OA-93 also includes:

• Flat top with picatinny rails.
  • Free floating handguard with knurled surface.
  • Phantom flash suppressor.
Olympic Arms, Inc. - OA-93 - AR-15 Pistol

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Does this qualify. It was transferred as a pistol so no tax stamp was necessary.
Oly OA93 .223 6.5" barrel

i want your upper for my SBR!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Should also add-

Gun's aren't evil...

However, they can be sick!

·
Registered
725 Posts
pretty much so keep the barrel 16" or longer and you should be good. unless you live in NJ were I pretty much so think even owning one is a crime. in cali add the bullet button and add nearly all the evil features you want say hicap mag but even then you can add the 30 round look alikes

Well we can own AR-15 Clones. Ie, the receiver cant be stamped with "AR-15", but XM-15, D-15, or any of the other variations are OK. But.. it depends on the configuration of the rifle, not anything that makes sense.

No Collapsible or folding stock, no bayonet lug, no threaded barrel, no flash suppressor (muzzle brake / compensator welded OK), and no mags over 15 rounds.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i want your upper for my SBR!!!!!!
Mines not for sale but they can be had. I've seen a few up on gunbroker at times and OA may have them avail.

Originally Posted by docred
Pardon my ignorance...

How does this gun work without a buffer tube?
That's a damn good question.
The bolt carrier is modified and is attached to the operating rod by a special gas key screw. The operating rod surrounded by the recoil spring is housed in the tube above the barrel and is secured by a nut on on the end of the rod.
This system is a gas operated action using a standard AR bolt and lower. This lower was intended only for this upper so the area that would normally be machined out and threaded for the buffer tube was not machined out. In this case the selector detent & spring is held in with a small set screw in the same channel that would be normally present. (I actually do this on all my lowers, makes changing out the stock much quicker) You can also use a blanking cap or leave it open (looks ugly)on a standard lower. The lower internals are standard AR15 offerings.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts