Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my XD .40 SC yesterday and as my 1st handgun that I'm going to carry I really don't like it on my belt. So, I was thinking of something different and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a gun holster that is like a back brace? It would be made of neoprene (or something similar) that will velcro in the front, but the actual holster is in the small of your back with a soft holster integrated into the back piece. I'm 5'10", 160 lbs... not a big guy by any means but I don't wear baggy clothing and most of my shirts go to my pockets on my jeans, so seeing a side arm would be rather visable.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? Or am I going to have to make one from scratch? Any help would be appreciated... thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't know of any "neoprene" type back-brace style holsters similar to what you are talking about, but there are a ton of SOB (small-of-the-back) holsters on the market that should allow you to conceal an XDsc fairly well.

Frankly, I have never been a fan of SOB holsters because of the problems with actually drawing from that position. The draw is a little sketchy and kind of difficult. There is a danger of pointing the muzzle of the gun in directions you don’t want to or shouldn't be pointing. This is also an easy holster to disarm someone because a person can come up behind you and grab the pistol, and due to its position on the middle of your lower back, it is more difficult to stop them from taking it. Lastly, should you fall, the small of the back holster is a steel bar across your spine that could accentuate the impact of hitting the ground and perhaps hurt you worse. Not to mention, they are DARN uncomfortable even with a subcompact pistol, you almost can't sit with them on, and forget driving a car with your pistol holstered.

If I were you, if you are set on a SOB holster, I would go to: Rig Rate - Holster Search, Ratings, and Reviews and search for all holsters in the SOB category. There should be at least 10 or 12 different model to look through. I wouldn't narrow your search to just the XDsc because their database is a little dated sometimes. If you find one you like, go to the mfg's website and see if it is offered for your pistol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know of any "neoprene" type back-brace style holsters similar to what you are talking about, but there are a ton of SOB (small-of-the-back) holsters on the market that should allow you to conceal an XDsc fairly well.

Frankly, I have never been a fan of SOB holsters because of the problems with actually drawing from that position. The draw is a little sketchy and kind of difficult. There is a danger of pointing the muzzle of the gun in directions you don’t want to or shouldn't be pointing. This is also an easy holster to disarm someone because a person can come up behind you and grab the pistol, and due to its position on the middle of your lower back, it is more difficult to stop them from taking it. Lastly, should you fall, the small of the back holster is a steel bar across your spine that could accentuate the impact of hitting the ground and perhaps hurt you worse. Not to mention, they are DARN uncomfortable even with a subcompact pistol, you almost can't sit with them on, and forget driving a car with your pistol holstered.

If I were you, if you are set on a SOB holster, I would go to: Rig Rate - Holster Search, Ratings, and Reviews and search for all holsters in the SOB category. There should be at least 10 or 12 different model to look through. I wouldn't narrow your search to just the XDsc because their database is a little dated sometimes. If you find one you like, go to the mfg's website and see if it is offered for your pistol.
Cool, thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Are SOB holsters safe? Should you fall on your back and the gun is holstered, I would think that a sever back injury could occur.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one's I looked at are still on the belt loop. I'm talking about one that's higher (above the belt completely) and is padded. Using a soft holster that is stitched into the neoprene (or a similar fabric) that wraps around you and velcro's in front.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Do a google search for "belly wrap holster"....they are out there.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
If you are carrying concealed, it shouldn't matter that your shirt only goes to your pockets. Plenty of smaller guys are able to carry concealed just fine. I'm 6'3, 220lbs and I have no problem concealing a 5" 1911, so I would think the subcompact wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride my motorcycle a lot to, and when I'm out riding it would be nice to have it since I typically ride alone. I'm not a fan of riding around other people that much. I ride crotch rockets, so they are obviously more compact... and I wanted to wear something that conceals it nicely, but I can still get to it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
I ride my motorcycle a lot to, and when I'm out riding it would be nice to have it since I typically ride alone. I'm not a fan of riding around other people that much. I ride crotch rockets, so they are obviously more compact... and I wanted to wear something that conceals it nicely, but I can still get to it fairly quickly.
If you need a holster for when you ride a motorcycle, DON'T get a small-of-back holster!!!

If you were to have an accident and land on your back you could easily be paralyzed for life. Use a IWB and wear it on your hip or a belly holster.

Belly WaistBand Holster With Thumb Break - WRB

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you need a holster for when you ride a motorcycle, DON"T get a small-of-back holster!!!

If you were to have an accident and land on your back you could easily be paralyzed for life. Use a IWB and wear it on your hip or a belly holster.

Belly WaistBand Holster With Thumb Break - WRB

I wear one of these when I ride... so sliding on my back is not an issue really. I also stunt ride motorcycles, and I've wrecked probably 100 times and this field armor vest has saved me plenty of times. I've NEVER wrecked on the streets, but should that happen I think this would offer ample protection... but I should have been more specific, while I'm riding on the streets I'll turn the Belly Wrap around and have the gun on my front side.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That armor is not designed to protect your back if there is a big lump in the middle of it, especially if that lump is something as hard as a gun. The armor is designed to spread the shock of impact across a fairly level area and protect your back when sliding. With a holstered gun in the middle of your back you have eliminated the relatively flat surface your back normally has and while the armor will still protect it will not give the same protection it would normally. While you might not be injured as badly as you would be without the armor you are still going to sustain greater injury than you would if you did not have the gun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That armor is not designed to protect your back if there is a big lump in the middle of it, especially if that lump is something as hard as a gun. The armor is designed to spread the shock of impact across a fairly level area and protect your back when sliding. With a holstered gun in the middle of your back you have eliminated the relatively flat surface your back normally has and while the armor will still protect it will not give the same protection it would normally. While you might not be injured as badly as you would be without the armor you are still going to sustain greater injury than you would if you did not have the gun.
I don't think you read my whole post...

at the very end I said that I should have been more specific and that when I am riding I'd spin the Belly Wrap around to the front of me.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I just picked up my XD .40 SC yesterday and as my 1st handgun that I'm going to carry I really don't like it on my belt. So, I was thinking of something different and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a gun holster that is like a back brace? It would be made of neoprene (or something similar) that will velcro in the front, but the actual holster is in the small of your back with a soft holster integrated into the back piece. I'm 5'10", 160 lbs... not a big guy by any means but I don't wear baggy clothing and most of my shirts go to my pockets on my jeans, so seeing a side arm would be rather visable.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? Or am I going to have to make one from scratch? Any help would be appreciated... thanks guys.
I've been carrying the XD-9 Service in a CrossBreed SuperTuck. It's a comfortable fit. I just bought the XD 45 Tactical as a gift for my father. I tried carrying in my SuperTuck, and the difference was neglible, if any. IMHO if you're going to use the SuperTuck, it's most comfortable with 1 size bigger pants. I've carried with both a tucked-in shirt and a polo shirt, and my wife can't even tell when I'm carrying. The height of the holster can be adjusted. I have mine adjusted as high as possible to help eliminate the problem of printing when going untucked and making it easiest to draw. I am trading up my XD9 tomorrow for the XD 45 Tactical myself, and plan on carrying it. Granted, I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs, so a full-size has alot of me to hide around, but for an average build adult I would expect the SuperTuck to be great for carry as well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
sounds like a Belly Band turned around backwards. I'd suggest looking into the SmartCarry. I wore one for about two years and it worked great (I still wear it on occasion). Great people to deal with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts