Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't resist--had to buy an early Christmas gift for myself. Now I'm the proud owner of an XD9 subcompact.

Getting back to my question...I have roughly 2000 rounds through my XD9 service model. I've never disassembled the slide to do a complete cleaning of its smaller components (firing pin, firing pin safety, extractor, etc)

Do I need to take the slide apart and detail these parts? Do you think Gunscrubber of Breakfree CLP will do the trick w/o disassembly?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! Being new to the XD myself, I can't give a definate answer to your question. I have well over 2K rounds thru mine and I bought it used (didn't know the cleaning habits of the previous owner). I have yet to take my slide apart. I just juice it with CLP and blow it out with an air compressor until it's clean. Has worked so far but eventually, it will need to be disassembled for proper cleaning.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You should take the slide down.. not because you have to necessarily.. but because it's FUN!! (and frustrating..)

I will give you one tip that you will thank me for. When you disassemble the slide, do it in a large, clear plastic bag, or a box that is covered with some kind of clear plastic with holes in it so you can get your hands in there. Those springs in there are under tension, and things will go flying..

trust me on this one thing.. if you never listen to another thing I say.. this is good advice...

Raymond

·
Registered
66 Posts
I stripped the slide on one of my XD's that had several thousand rounds of CCI Blazers through it and was starting to have extraction problems. It was still relatively clean.

It will also depend on how dirty the ammo is that you use. Some leave more residue than others.

If you do decide to strip it down, detailed instructions can be found here:

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/slidedisassembly.html

Follow the advice above and be very careful not to loose any springs or small parts. Lost parts may require shipping the gun to Springfield for replacement. :evil:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i take down my slide regularly for cleaning. I find it enjoyable and fulfilling! Now teh frame! Thats a PITA but still doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts