Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so you will probably appreciate this... I recently inherited a Remington 1903 from my grandpa. It was originally chambered in .30-06. It is now chambered in the .30 Ackley short magnum #2.

The action is very smooth on it, and I was given enough brass to make approx 130 rounds. about half are fire formed to the chamber, and the other half of them need to be.

I'm using 7mm Rem Mag brass since it's almost impossible to find .300 H&H brass. The one on the left is the normal 7mm Rem Mag, and the one on the right has been sized to .308 and fire formed.

Here's a top view. I know I have to re-size the neck before I take it out to fire form, just haven't done it with the rounds I have because i'm still getting used to the annealing process (it's new to me).

Here's the .30 Ackley short mag next to a .30-06 springfield. (.30 Ackley is on the right). This is a sample done by my grandpa to use as a guide when reloading.

I'll be starting out with 165 gr .308 bullets with 60 grains of IMR 4350. Any tips and/or tricks you guys have please let me know!

I know it's a lot of work to get the rounds made for this rifle, but it's something I enjoy and I know my grandpa would appreciate it since i'm carrying on one of his favorite hobbies. I've got all of the original papers that were given to my grandpa from P.O. Ackley. And I'm probably the only 25 year old in the world that thinks this stuff is cool as hell, but I don't care because i know there's nothing like reloading rounds, pulling the trigger, and knowing you did a damn good job!

Now I just need to get out there and tag an Elk with this thing ;):D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
That is a nice shooter you got there. It's amazing these old bolt rifles are still so usable. Just add a little sport to them. Cool post! What is the process of fire forming?

Reactions: tjt2039

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ackley was one of the greatest "wildcatters" ever. Most "improved" rounds he developed can be fire formed by firing parent cartridge in improved chamber. Research will determine if this applies to the improved round you have.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
That is damn cool if you are doing all of that. Great post. Thank you for the share.

Reactions: tjt2039

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Thanks for posting. Ackley was a truly great Wildcatter, and that is a sweet rifle

Celer, Silens, Mortalis

·
Registered
15 Posts
We started out our benchrest shooting life building a 22-250 Ackley Improved off an old remington 700 vsf many years ago. I still can't believe the accuracy these wildcats are able to produce.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Thanks for an interesting and informative post.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
If you are going to be reloading anyways, there is nothing wrong with a wildcat.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I've got a buddy with a .30x416 AI, built on a 1917 action...

That is a FUN rifle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I learn something every time I visit. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My brother recently added a Kimber Montana in .280 Ackley Improved to his growing collection and it is a hard hitting and darned accurate round. Not too dissimilar from the 7mm Rem Mag but is a fine long range piece.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Years ago I knew a guy used Cream of Wheat and Bullseye to fireform. He did not expand the necks before forming letting the Cream of Wheat open the necks from .308 to .338 in a belted H&H Mag case His idea was it did not put wasted bullet wear on the barrel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts