Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i live in washington and there are only like two colleges that i know of that allow CC. My college says in the student handbook that students are not allowed to carry but there are no signs posted ANYWHERE saying no guns. It is not illegal to carry at schools after grade 12 in this state. So i cant get in any legal trouble i would basically just get kicked out of school.

They also say no pepperspray but they are ok with me carrying knives they just said they dont wanna see em out. So i carry my Cold steel AK-47 always.

I have carried my xdsc or lcp in my backpack every once in a while but i have stopped cas i really dont wanna get kicked out of school.

Does anyone else carry at school?

I think its kinda BS that the state says its ok but the school says no.

And i will repeat it is 100% legal for us to do so in washington it is just against school policy so nobody freak out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
If the state says it's okay, then I would do it. Just as long as your are legally allowed to carry there.

If something really goes wrong and some nut job comes shooting up your campus, I'd rather be alive and searching for a new school than underground when all the dust settles.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So i live in washington and there are only like two colleges that i know of that allow CC. My college says in the student handbook that students are not allowed to carry but there are no signs posted ANYWHERE saying no guns. It is not illegal to carry at schools after grade 12 in this state. So i cant get in any legal trouble i would basically just get kicked out of school.

They also say no pepperspray but they are ok with me carrying knives they just said they dont wanna see em out. So i carry my Cold steel AK-47 always.

I have carried my xdsc or lcp in my backpack every once in a while but i have stopped cas i really dont wanna get kicked out of school.

Does anyone else carry at school?

I think its kinda BS that the state says its ok but the school says no.

And i will repeat it is 100% legal for us to do so in washington it is just against school policy so nobody freak out!
It's all up to you and whether you're willing to make the risk of possibly your life or being kicked out of school if you get caught. Personal decision.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Far as I know the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act says no-no. If your State allows it, you could still get into a hassle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is the info that I found........ Also do an internet search...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

"Can I carry at or near a school? Or College? (RCW 9.41.280)
If you have a valid CPL and are picking up or dropping off a student you are allowed on the school grounds. Firearms are not permitted in school buildings. Colleges set their own policies, most of which seem to ban lawfully carried guns. South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia is the only college in this state we know of that does not specifically ban lawfully carried guns from their campus. "

·
Registered
670 Posts
Far as I know the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act says no-no. If your State allows it, you could still get into a hassle.
GFSZA does not apply to colleges and assuming Washington requires a background check before the license is issued then he is exempt from the GFSZA.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
GFSZA does not apply to colleges and assuming Washington requires a background check before the license is issued then he is exempt from the GFSZA.
If he has a permit from his State and the State does a background check that seems correct. I was not aware Colleges were excluded?

·
Registered
566 Posts
gun free school zone act

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot of violent crime happens in places where CCW is prohibited? Schools, state buildings, post offices. All places where you can not legally carry and these seem to be the places that the nuts go to start trouble. "Hey Obama, Its because they know nobody is packing" The people in these places are easy prey. Some laws make no sense.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot of violent crime happens in places where CCW is prohibited? Schools, state buildings, post offices. All places where you can not legally carry and these seem to be the places that the nuts go to start trouble. "Hey Obama, Its because they know nobody is packing" The people in these places are easy prey. Some laws make no sense.

No it is not just you that noticed that. Gun Free = Death Pay. They know that its an easy target just look at washington DC it is illegal to carry guns and its one of the most dangerous places in the country

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Yup...every day...I took an M$ Certified IT course, it wasn't at a college persay..in fact it was in a bank...

In Texas..on a school campus = no

·
Premium Member
127,724 Posts
No, because I don't want to lose my job. I guess if need be I will have to rely on my "sharp wit" as a defense. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I wonder how many teachers carry? I bet more than we would think...
Not sure.
I know that it is illegal to carry a firearm on public school property in Washington State even with a CPL. Most schools have the signs posted. I know that the local high school where I live has the RCW/WAC code sign posted.

You can drop off/pick up a student and be OK as long as you are not getting out of your car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I reside in WA, work at UW (University of Washington), and a current CPL. Now whether I carry or not I will not discuss. Although I will give you my knowledge about the situation.

RCW 9.41.280:
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools" (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: ... (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

So with a CPL(CCW) you can pick up and drop off your students but may not enter any buildings. Without a CPL you may not carry a firearm within 1000 Ft. of a school loaded or unloaded (Carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle is against the law in WA without a CPL, referring to RCW 9.41.050

"Colleges set their own policies, most of which seem to ban lawfully carried guns. South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia is the only college in this state we know of that does not specifically ban lawfully carried guns from their campus." -http://opencarry.org/wa.html

I usually would not just pull something off a website to use as a source unless it was an official government website but I am having a hard time finding the actual RCW that states this but will look a little bit more. They can ban them but it is still not illegal to carry but they will expel you or your employer will fire you if you are caught with one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes. I attend a public school in UT and it is legal to carry on public property (except police stations, jails, prisons, courts).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts