Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

It'll work with anything from a little .22, up to fast DA with a .44 magnum.

I ain't Leatham, and Springfield don't build me trick guns or provide me with thousands of rounds of target loads to burn up every year. I have to teach cops to save their lives with a handgun (as in "one hand if necessary").

Some of them have done just that, and thanked me profusely after the dust had settled. The last one mentioned that he was very glad that I had rode him until he learned to use his Glock with one hand- because when his personal "ballon went up" there was no time for anything else.

I recommend that you do not adopt any shooting method or stance that detracts from your ability to use the gun effectively, with one hand, in an emergency. Using your strong-hand thumb for anything besides hanging onto the gun is developing bad, possibly fatal habits.

I guess I forgot we were talking about shooting targets instead of saving our bacon, here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Grip you are talking about with thumbs along side of frame on both sides is a common grip for I.P.S.C. and I.D.P.A. when you are drawing from a holster and need a quick shot. Using your non shooting thumb to hold your other thumb down is a good grip when you are not concerned with speed and are looking for a comfortable grip. Also The cupping method with the hand cupping the bottom of the frame has been noted in many publications as dangerous due to the fact that if something were to happen in the gun the magazine is one of the weaker points that would blow up first. Hope this helps :D :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
#1 Pick up the gun by the barrel or slide.
#2 Place the stock between the thumb and forefinger of the right hand and push the gun firmly to the heel of the hand, being careful to watch how the gun seats.
#3 While pushing the gun into the hand, wrap the fingers firmly around the grip
#4 All the fingers are used to grip the gun and equal pressure by all the fingers is necessary to control the weapon. No excessive pressure should be exerted on the side of the gun by the thumb.
#5 The greatest pressure should be between the heel of the hand and that portion of the fingers on the front of the stock.
#6 While gripping very firm, the trigger finger must be able to work back and forth enough to give it an independent action. This can be accomplished through dry firing and practicing taking the grip on the weapon.
#7 This firm grip should be maintained at the same pressure while squeezing the trigger to fire one shot or an entire string of shots. A common mistake made is to not get the grip in the same way, causing the gun to feel differently in the hand and thereby causing the individual to hesitate to squeeze the trigger. A frequent mistake made is to gradually release the grip while squeezing the trigger especially during a string of sustained fire and will result in a definite loss of control. To grip the weapon with a very firm grip and with the same pressure throughout the delivery of a shot or string of shots will reduce the chances of making this mistake.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks for the replies. so let me get this straight, i put my off handthumb over my shooting thumb or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

thank you invssgt and to everyone who helped correct me. this was my best shooting ever. i did this one for my chl.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.