Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive had my xd9 for about 2 weeks now, got a dons rod in it and 450 rounds through it.

the first one, i shot a box of wwb winclean

second and third are cci blazer

i shoot the modern isosceles stance because its the most comfortable for me.
and i hold my gun like this

so yeah what do yall think i can do to improve my shots?

oh and a poor focus pic of guide rod

·
Registered
415 Posts
First off, put down the shotgun and pick up the XD. J/K :p

It looks like anticipating the shot and pushing your muzzle down. It would be easier to help with less rounds on the target(5-10 or so) as well as how far away you are shooting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oh, i also do like your targets hanging in the window like that. Sort of like an X-ray or MRI. Your nieghbors must like it too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
"put down the shotgun...." That was good. The people in my computer lab are looking at me funny now, as I just couldn't hold in the laughter.

Seriously though. Do what I did. Check and re-check to see that the XD is un-loaded. and then dry fire for 5 minutes. Next thing I learned is just let the recoil surpise you. You can work on pushing the barrel down to line up the next shot once you get better at shooting the first one. Right now just get down the fundimentals.

I don't know how far away you were but you can't be as bad as the guys I saw at the range on tuesday. The one guy had a 12" x 12" bullseye type target at 7yards. I sware to you he hit it ONE time!!

Chris Cahill

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Although not perfect, I think you should be happy with this grouping, being that you have just 450 rounds through the gun. As mentioned, it seems you are anticipating the shot.

fThe best thing you can do is practice (trigger time). Only through live fire, will you get used to the recoil and noise. Dry fire drills will help you learn the trigger pull (long), allowing you to better control the muzzle.

Keep it up! Make sure you post comparisons when you get to 2000 rounds. I bet they will be night and day.

Old School

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put 300rnds through my XD9sc and the targets look almost the same except the scatter pattern was a little to the left. I am a lefty shooter though. Pratice, pratice, pratice.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
For Tactical Defense shooting the Perp would be dead with most of those shots!
But for the purist who wants one hole groups.....you are not close....but neither am I.......PRACTICE and DRY FIRE drills will help and Just a lot more shooting and practice...Nice Grip though!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The majority of your shots are left, so it could be you are squezzing your shooting hand too tightly. Also as suggested above, I wouldn't put too many shots on the same target. The target on the left for instance, you might have put 50 rounds through that big hole and wasted the box of ammo for nothing. :shock:
Go to the stationary section at Wa-mart or where ever and get a package of round dot stickers. What I do is fire a magazine, then paste the stickers on the first string and then fire a second magazine. Then I change out my target. This way you have a record of your first string of shots and the holes will be your second string.
Also make sure you don't put too much pressure on the slide lever and lock your action prematurely. Good shooting, you will do better as time goes on.
Good luck and shoot safe. :D

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
also, on your guide rod photo......pick up your pants off the floor! :x :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow, that dot sticker idea is cool. Definatly going to pick up some multicolor smiley dots...er something...thanks

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
smiley stickers on what??
and to the pants on the floor thing.....i thought i was the only one that plays with guns in undies :wink:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Drop the mag, lock the slide open, and put the gun down.

Now pick it up with your shooting hand.

Get a firing grip on the gun.

The barrel/slide should be in line with the bones of your forearm.

Extend your arm, pointing the gun in a safe direction. Your sights should be roughly aligned, without any work on your part. If not, your firing grip needs adjustment- correct it now.

Squeeze the grip with your bottom three fingers and thumb. Squeeze until you hand shakes, and then back off the pressure a little. You should still have a firm enough grip that somebody couldn't hit the muzzle of your gun hard, and knock it out of your hand.

Turn your thumb down a little.

NOW, take your other hand and cup the shooting hand, holding the gun, with the off hand. Use opposing force the steady the gun against recoil. Once you have established a firm and comfortable hold, take the thumb of your off hand and place it on top of the shooting hand thumb.
You had this bass-ackwards in your photo, and in cannot be conductive to good control. DO NOT get into the habit of doing this.

You will shoot better now. BE CAREFUL, especially when dry-firing. Absolutely NO magazines or ammunition belong in the same room when dry-firing. Dry-fire at something that will stop a bullet- not those damn targets in the window.

Back on the line, recruit. Watch that muzzle.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
invssgt said:
NOW, take your other hand and cup the shooting hand, holding the gun, with the off hand. Use opposing force the steady the gun against recoil. Once you have established a firm and comfortable hold, take the thumb of your off hand and place it on top of the shooting hand thumb.
"Cup" the shooting hand? If you mean from underneath, I know a lot of people shoot that way, but I don't think it's recommended by most good accurate target shooters. A cop friend of mine shoots like that, but he's not much at target shooting. I have been taught and I also notice (I ALWAYS try to watch people who shoot better than me) that having the off hand higher is preferable to "cupping".

The left thumb (for right handed shooters) on top of the right thumb is more typical. But look at the picture on the top right of the following link; But then again, he's shooting a 1911 with his right thumb up on the safety, so its a far cry from gripping an XD. But even so, it seems to me that many people I see who shoot 1911s well place their left thumbs on their right even if it IS up on the thumb safety.

http://www.robleatham.com/

That Rob Leatham site may be the ticket for a lot of us regarding tips and tricks for accurate shooting. I know it's been posted here before.

paper tiger said:
I invite you to try a decent DA/SA handgun. You may be surprised at the difference.
What kind of DA/SA gun would you suggest and why?

I like the concept of a DA/SA but only having experience with Smith and Wesson DA/SA pistols, I would like to know what's good out there. The S&W was not good IMO. But it was quite a while ago...I know technology has improved a lot...I dry fired the Para LDA 1911 last weekend at a gun show. It was a big lesson for me in how dramatically trigger technology has improved lately, but it's not DA/SA.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
580 Posts
my thumbs have always been like leatham's in that picture mentioned above. my instructors always told us to "let the dogs hump."

i used to put my "off hand" index finger around or on the trigger guard for support. it had marginal success for me. then i was told that if you don't know what you're doing...don't do that.

then i saw some people gripping their HK's, in the method invssgt suggests...and they were doing well. but by that time...i was too adjusted to the style in paragraph one, that it didn't work for me.

good luck to you, though. find what works, and make it better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts