Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Eastwing makes a fine axe. For home and camping it would be a good choice. I currently use a Gerber and I have a Knives of Alaska hatchet. The KOA hatchet is extremely nice, but too small for any serious chopping. It is mostly for field dressing and smaller work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Growing up we had an Estwing ax in "wood room" for smaller splitting jobs. To my knowledge it's served 20+ years and still going strong. It was packed for every camping trip I can remember.

Something like:
Estwing Camper's Axe with 16 in. Nylon-Vinyl Shock Reduction Grip Handle - E44A at The Home Depot

My step-dad owned several Estwing products and the only failure I can think of was a claw on a hammer. That was my fault though, I should have been using a pry-bar. They replaced it though!

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have one and couldn't wish for any better. I have had it for years. I noticed all the carpenters at the company used Estwing hammers, so I bought the Estwing axe thinking it would be as good as the hammers. It is. You should get it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't have any experience with the ax, but tons with their hammers. I have one that is pushing 30 years old and still kicking. They make top notch products, IMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Estwing is very good in my experience.

I have also used their smaller Engineering type hammers with their wood splitter.. very good also.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Never used one, sounds like some good reviews at a good price.

·
Registered
19,742 Posts
While looking around the Home Depot site, I saw this ax:

Estwing Sportsman's Axe with 10 in. Leather Grip Handle - E24A at The Home Depot

I remember he had (has?) this one too. He keeps it under the seat of his truck. Self Defense? LOL!
these are good to have with. the added weight over a standard construction hachet is worth it on a small survival tool.

I'd rather have a lighter shaft for general axe work on a full sized axe. If are looking for a pure splitting axe, there are much better head designs out there. I split plenty of wood. Trust me, you want a much heavier and broader head for that work.

·
Registered
319 Posts
These things are amazing! No more worrying about your wife snapping the head off your axe after shorting the swing. Holds an edge well too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
these are good to have with. the added weight over a standard construction hachet is worth it on a small survival tool.

I'd rather have a lighter shaft for general axe work on a full sized axe. If are looking for a pure splitting axe, there are much better head designs out there. I split plenty of wood. Trust me, you want a much heavier and broader head for that work.
What would you recommend for splitting wood?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I split wood just a little... so the sledge and wedge feels better for me.

Estwing makes a bigger axe, but still a similar head design to the small one. Would be good to know what the preferred shape is.

·
Registered
19,742 Posts
What would you recommend for splitting wood?
something like this works like a dream;
Bailey's - Steel Handle 14.5 lbs. "Mega" Mule Maul (I just found it on a quick search, probably not the same brand)
I sure wouldn't want to pack it in on foot, but it blasts through the firewood, and you don't even need to keep it that sharp.
we've got some lighter weight splitting mauls that work pretty good too (still much heavier than a normal axe), but weight is were its at with the splitting game.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts