Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scored this off ESEE discussion forum for $75. I tried posting pics off my photo bucket but it's not working and I've done it a million times. I'll try and get pics later. Here's a link to a pic for now. ESEE and Rowen no longer make these so they are increasingly hard to get.

ESEE Knives: HEST, Fixed Blade Tactical / Military / Survival / Every Day Carry / Concealed Carry / Personal Protection / Emergency / General Purpose / Knife with Skeletized Handle & Removable Micarta Scales - ESEE Knives

Here's a bio on the designer.

About Robert Young Pelton

Author and filmmaker, Robert Young Pelton is known for overcoming extraordinary obstacles in his search for the truth. He has made a career of bypassing the media, border guards and the military in his goal of getting to the heart of the story. In his travels to and through the world's most dangerous places, Pelton has shared risks with his hosts and often has become the sole surviving witness to history-shaping events. His recent journeys have taken him inside the siege of Grozny in Chechnya, the battle of Qala-I-Jangi in Afghanistan, the rebel campaign to take Monrovia in Liberia, inside the hunt for Bin Laden in the Tribal Areas with the CIA, with insurgents during the war in Iraq and running RPG Alley every day for four weeks with Blackwater in Baghdad.

About The H E S T Knife

H E S T stands for "Hostile Environment Survival Tool". The H E S T knife/tool was designed by Robert Young Pelton as a result of his experiences in traveling through over three dozen conflict zones and well over 100 countries. He wanted a simple, durable tool that was tough enough to accomplish big tasks but also get one out of a tight spot when a sharp edge is needed. The H E S T knife/tool will give you the confidence that you need in difficult situations regardless of where or how they occur.

The H E S T knife/tool will serve you well in outdoor situations as a light multipurpose wood crafting, field dressing, skinning, trimming and even shaving blade. The H E S T knife/tool is also a very handy everyday carry knife with its bottle opener, pry bar and durable cutting edge.

The H E S T features unusually thick steel (which is comparable in thickness to blades of 12" or more) and a razor sharp cutting edge. It is designed with a precise blade length to allow maximum force and control during use. The balance is superb and it will feel natural in your hand.

The notch at the base of the blade acts as the choil allowing you to keep a sharp cutting edge the full length of the blade. Careful alignment of the choil and the opener also provides two very stable lashing points for an improvised longer spear handle, axe or dead drop trap.

There is a bottle opener (small pry tab) on the top of the H E S T. The 3/16" thick top area ahead of the bottle opener/pry tab allows you to hammer the blade through thick wood, creating a durable axe type tool.

The pry bar/scraper tool can be struck with a hammer or rock to split or open something. It can also be used to open stuck objects, pull wood staples and for a multitude of other purposes. The pry bar tip can be sharpened when it gets dull.

The handle scales are hollowed out on the inside to provide a secret/emergency storage area for things like emergency "get out of jail" money, snare wire, fishing line, fish hooks, band aids or other things that you want to have readily available. The scales are held in place with zinc plated brass screws which can quickly be removed to open or remove the grips. The storage area is not waterproof, but can be made so by adding a bead of silicon on each side before reassembling.

The H E S T knife/tool is designed to be used with the skeletonized handle if one wishes to do so. This is very beneficial when a person needs a flat profile for concealment purposes and when carrying it as a neck knife. Of course the handle can be wrapped with paracord or leather strips. The lashing holes on the front and back of the handle can be used to start and end your paracord or leather wrap.

The Kydex sheath is heat molded to the H E S T knife/tool and was designed as a system that allows variations for belt, pocket, neck, MOLLE and other carry methods. The H E S T knife/tool will fit tight in the sheath at first and then wear in. You can also use the mounting screws to adjust the belt mount and tightness of the sheath.

The H E S T knife carries a lifetime guarantee just like all other DPX Gear knives. If for any reason your knife breaks or fails, return it with your purchase information and address and a new one will be shipped.

The initial specifications are subject to change as well as features on the knife that is pictured.

Knife Type:Fixed Blade
Blade Type:Drop Point
Blade Thickness:.190"
Total Length:7.63"
Blade Length:3.13"
Weight:4 OZ
Handle Material:Green Canvas Micarta
Blade-Steel:Black Texture Powder Coated 1095 Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness:57-58 HRC
Warranty:Lifetime

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Not a bad deal. I was thinking of getting the 3" HEST for a long time then I decided all of the "extras" besides the removable hollow handle scales were pretty much useless to me so I went with an ESEE-4 instead.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love my ESEE 4. It won't be my last ESEE.

I figured since I drink a lot of beer. The bottle opener on the HEST will come in real handy.:cool:

I plan on putting a little fishing gear in the handle and maybe a mini ferro rod or something.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very sweet score!
Agreed since these Rowen made HESTs are getting real hard to come by. And the fact they normally retail for about $100+.

They are coming out with the HEST 2 with wooden scales and also a 6" version. DPX is also coming out with another fixed blade called the HEFT.

But the new ones are not USA Rowen made. They will be made in Italy. So the Rowens that are left are getting bought up quick. So it may have some collector value later on.

DPx Gear - Knives By Maker

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice score! I want one of those!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my new HEST today!

Man this is a really nice little blade. Great balance and I love the way it fits in my hand. Great leverage with the way they designed the handle.

:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
you cant go wrong with ESEE. whish i cought that deal. cus i have been looking for one for a little bit now. good buy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts