Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago Joe Biden said "...You couldn't buy a cannon."
I don't know who wrote his speech, but they were misinformed. You could buy a cannon back when the second amendment was written and you can still buy one today.
How do I know this? My brother collects cannons and he invited us to the range to celebrate Independence Day by firing a cannon a variety of other guns. I brought my daughter and her boyfriend.

My brother wanted them to learn the whole process of how to clean and swab the bore, load a powder charge, load a cannonball, aim, set a fuze, and fire. The kids did well actually hitting the target with a decent grouping. Once they were dialed in, the shots were within three inches of each other.

Texas weather being what it is, we had a thunderstorm blow through and they learned where the phrase, "keep your powder dry" came from.

How do you stop a two-pound cannonball? The target was a palmetto leaf tied to a sheet of plywood and metal. There was a second backstop that was a thicker sheet of steel and a third that was a big fiberglass satellite dish in front of huge logs.

With a one-ounce charge, we were able to retrieve most of the cannonballs between the second and third backstops. With a two-ounce charge, they blew right through everything. The property owner says he will find them later on when mowing.

My daughter shooting her Ruger 22 45
It's her favorite.

Her Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Everyone loves this rifle. It's so much fun to shoot. I wanted her to have this so that someday when we build her an AR she'll already know how to shoot it.

Her boyfriend shooting my Ruger SR556

The more I shoot it, the better it gets.

My daughter shooting my Springfield Hellcat
I didn't even need to ask her if she wanted to shoot it. She came to me and asked. She is a competitive gymnast and was upset that she missed one shot. That's a proud papa moment.

There were quite a few other firearms and everyone was welcome to try everything.
Not Pictured:
  • Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum revolver (AWESOME!)
  • Mossberg Shockwave .410 with a brace. Everyone wanted one!
  • Glock 45acp long slide
  • Several AR-15 rifles
  • Beautiful Canik TP9 SFX 9mm in burnt bronze
  • Ruger single action .22 revolver
  • Unknown AR-10 with a muzzle brake that was almost as loud as the cannon
  • Kimber 1911 in 9mm. Small enough for pocket carry. Nice shooter.
Might have been some tannerite too

BBQ was served and then we went to two fireworks shows that evening.

Going to the range with family and friends on Independence day is highly recommended. Great memories were made that will last a lifetime!

·
Banned
8,213 Posts
Awesome
Great to see young ones who are interested in learning old ways and shooting.

Too many folks see 7/4 as a day off and lost is the reason for it and why we should ALL take pride i USA and what we have. Especially now while we still have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,907 Posts
Very nice!

Reactions: Obscura

·
Registered
383 Posts
A few days ago Joe Biden said "...You couldn't buy a cannon."
I don't know who wrote his speech, but they were misinformed. You could buy a cannon back when the second amendment was written and you can still buy one today.
How do I know this? My brother collects cannons and he invited us to the range to celebrate Independence Day by firing a cannon a variety of other guns. I brought my daughter and her boyfriend.

My brother wanted them to learn the whole process of how to clean and swab the bore, load a powder charge, load a cannonball, aim, set a fuze, and fire. The kids did well actually hitting the target with a decent grouping. Once they were dialed in, the shots were within three inches of each other.

Texas weather being what it is, we had a thunderstorm blow through and they learned where the phrase, "keep your powder dry" came from.

View attachment 842849 View attachment 842850 View attachment 842851

View attachment 842852 View attachment 842853

How do you stop a two-pound cannonball? The target was a palmetto leaf tied to a sheet of plywood and metal. There was a second backstop that was a thicker sheet of steel and a third that was a big fiberglass satellite dish in front of huge logs.

With a one-ounce charge, we were able to retrieve most of the cannonballs between the second and third backstops. With a two-ounce charge, they blew right through everything. The property owner says he will find them later on when mowing.

My daughter shooting her Ruger 22 45
It's her favorite.

Her Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
View attachment 842856
Everyone loves this rifle. It's so much fun to shoot. I wanted her to have this so that someday when we build her an AR she'll already know how to shoot it.

Her boyfriend shooting my Ruger SR556
View attachment 842855
The more I shoot it, the better it gets.

My daughter shooting my Springfield Hellcat
I didn't even need to ask her if she wanted to shoot it. She came to me and asked. She is a competitive gymnast and was upset that she missed one shot. That's a proud papa moment.

There were quite a few other firearms and everyone was welcome to try everything.
Not Pictured:
  • Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum revolver (AWESOME!)
  • Mossberg Shockwave .410 with a brace. Everyone wanted one!
  • Glock 45acp long slide
  • Several AR-15 rifles
  • Beautiful Canik TP9 SFX 9mm in burnt bronze
  • Ruger single action .22 revolver
  • Unknown AR-10 with a muzzle brake that was almost as loud as the cannon
  • Kimber 1911 in 9mm. Small enough for pocket carry. Nice shooter.
Might have been some tannerite too

BBQ was served and then we went to two fireworks shows that evening.

Going to the range with family and friends on Independence day is highly recommended. Great memories were made that will last a lifetime!
I dont have the words. I'm so jealous I don't know wither to happy for you or angry at you :ROFLMAO:. Man that really does sound like a perfect 4th.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi @Obscura,

Wow! That's some kind of fantastic fun! Great the family got to join you in that smorgasbord of Bang!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura
1 - 9 of 9 Posts