Springfield XD Forum banner

Which optic company

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My AR is on the way. I ordered an upper and lower from CMMG. Thanks to all who helped.

Now on to the next thing. Of the two which is your preferred optic? I'll be going with an optic and magnifier set up and both Aimpoint and EOtech look like they have the best product. I don't have anywhere nearby that has them for me to check out so be descriptive about why you prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I voted for Aimpoint B/C I have one. I bought the M2, it cost me $411 at Spotsmanswarehouse. I think it is alot of fun and it looks good to but thats just me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like the cross hairs of the EOTech better, it works well in close quarters when the zombies occasionally get by my outer defenses. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My AR currently has a cheap crap red dot on it.

When funds are available it will have an Aimpoint on it.

Why Aimpoint? Main reason is their long battery life. With their newer models you get about 5 years of continuous use on a battery.

That's one of my biggest complaints about my cheap crap red dots. I go to pull a gun out of the safe and find out I left the sight turned on and it needs another little battery that I can't find before I head to the range.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I didn't vote because you left the Bushnell Holosight of the list.
YouTube - EOtech or Bushnell Holosight

Video Comments:
Side by side the EOtech vs the Bushnell Holosight. EOtech makes the Holosight for Bushnell, so you could call it the Holo-Lite... Differences are the buttons, the EOtech has rubbery mil-specish buttons. Two brightness buttons and a Night Vision button. That's for if you are wearing Night Vision goggles. To turn it on, you push the Up button, to turn it off, you push both Up and Down together. The Bushnell unit has an ON/OFF button and the two adjustments... simpler and easier to use that. The EOtech has the longer batter life thanks to the standard 3 volt units, while the Holosight that I have here uses a lighter N Cell battery. Both units will turn off after a certain time... about 8 hours. Both work well in most conditions. In very bright light, both can wash out, so you crank up the brightness... then you move inside and you get an eye full of glare. The EOtech here is about 400 bucks while the Holosight is about 250.
Which one is best for you, depends on the situation. I know several soldiers that purchased the Holosight for deployment with units that do not issue the EOtech. They are working well. The EOtech is frequently issued even if it is not the main US Military Red Dot sight... which is the Aimpoint M3 I believe.

·
Registered
902 Posts
ACOG is great (drool), but since this was strictly A or B:

Are you looking for faster acquisition at very close range (up to 35ish yds) that may eat batteries (EOTech), or something that you can leave turned on 24/7 (AP) for up to 5 years?

They are both pretty tough and both work well but are different animals. I'm using a 552 on SHTF setup and a Clonepoint on a range/pest gun. I would not hesitate to use a real AP on the SHTF, and may that may very well be my next optic if I don't get a Trijicon.

Folks that shoot way more than I ever will and under combat conditions say the EOTech is just plain the fastest of all at extreme close range. They use the outer ring for close-in stuff and like the 1 MOA center dot for precision-ish use, especially with a magnifier up to 200-300meters or so. I change the lithium AA batteries in my 552 at least quarterly just to be on the safe side and monthly if I'm using it much at all. I do trust it but always have the rear BUIS flipped up and ready in case I don't have time to turn it on or the batteries crap out.

With the Aimpoint you have something that is battle-proven, and for SHTF you can leave it turned on 24/7 for up to 5 years or more so it's always ready to go. It may not acquire as quickly for some people but is darned near bombproof from what I've seen. I've shot a few of them but not enough to say much more than it was easy to use and accurate.

Regarding EOTech 550 with AAbatteries: I would never use an alkaline battery in one, imho the alk ones that ship with it (or at least did up to a year or so ago) are crap - oem even leaked on an acquaintance's and crapped up the batt compartment within a short time from brand new, also have seen the lovely 'Revision F' version eat a set of fresh batteries during a day at the range and supposedly they have better batt life than the previous version.

I do not have enough time spent with the EOTech CR123 battery models to comment there.

My ideal wishlist: an ACOG, an EOTech, an Aimpoint, and a short dot! :twisted:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I voted Aimpoint by mistake ... What can I say? I've got a trigger finger for my mouse !! I vote Eotech but I wouldn't be ashamed to have a Aimpoint on my rifle by any means. My next will be an Acog and than maybe an Aimpoint.

·
Registered
193 Posts
voted AP because that is what I have. However I will be adding an EOTech to my next AR.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I voted for cheap crap.

Here's my thinking on this... you can get a $30 optic (or less) that is very similar (in style and function, but not build quality or durability) to an optic that costs 10 times as much (or more). You can use that cheap POS for a month or two and decide if you like that style or not. It will give you a good indication as to which style you like better, and whether or not it is worth the expense of upgrading to a quality optic.

If you do decide to get a better optic, you can use the cheap crap on your .22 rifle or air rifle or whatever.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
The SPOT Mark III is a great optic and at a great price. Very similar to the Aimpoint, but for less than half the price.

I swear, that company should start paying me for advertising.

If not the SPOT, I would go with the Aimpoint.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have both and vote aimpoint the dot is crisp and clear and much less busier looking than the EO also battery life is 10-80k hours depending on the model. If it's not in your budget get a spot III it is practcly identical to the AP ML2 accept battery life

Eta the only draw back to the AP over the EO is that it cost more and then you still have to buy a mount were as the EO comes ready to mount

I can get you a comp 3 and ADM mount at a good price

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't vote because you left the Bushnell Holosight of the list.
YouTube - EOtech or Bushnell Holosight

Video Comments:
Side by side the EOtech vs the Bushnell Holosight. EOtech makes the Holosight for Bushnell, so you could call it the Holo-Lite... Differences are the buttons, the EOtech has rubbery mil-specish buttons. Two brightness buttons and a Night Vision button. That's for if you are wearing Night Vision goggles. To turn it on, you push the Up button, to turn it off, you push both Up and Down together. The Bushnell unit has an ON/OFF button and the two adjustments... simpler and easier to use that. The EOtech has the longer batter life thanks to the standard 3 volt units, while the Holosight that I have here uses a lighter N Cell battery. Both units will turn off after a certain time... about 8 hours. Both work well in most conditions. In very bright light, both can wash out, so you crank up the brightness... then you move inside and you get an eye full of glare. The EOtech here is about 400 bucks while the Holosight is about 250.
Which one is best for you, depends on the situation. I know several soldiers that purchased the Holosight for deployment with units that do not issue the EOtech. They are working well. The EOtech is frequently issued even if it is not the main US Military Red Dot sight... which is the Aimpoint M3 I believe.
Interesting thank you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
EOTECH is far superior.

It's like a big screen TV 6 inches from your face.

Aimpoint is like looking though a submarine scope in comparison.

Battery life? Who cares!! Just replace the damn things once a year and forget about it. It's cheap, quick and easy.

Not an aimpoint person, never have been and doubt I ever will.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EOTECH is far superior.

It's like a big screen TV 6 inches from your face.

Aimpoint is like looking though a submarine scope in comparison.

Battery life? Who cares!! Just replace the damn things once a year and forget about it. It's cheap, quick and easy.

Not an aimpoint person, never have been and doubt I ever will.
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Is it really that big of a difference?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ACOG. :grin:
ACOG is a great sight but you end up paying more and not being able to switch to 1X. How does the ACOG work in CC as compared to the EO or AP? I would think it would make it less effective.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Is it really that big of a difference?
I disagree with the previous assessment. I've owned both, and I think that if you are focusing on the target, both eyes open, you really don't notice the tube of the Aimpoint.

I do like the reticle of the Eotech, but I am very, very impressed with what Aimpoint has been coming out with lately. The M4S and Micro series are absolutely fantastic. Even the C/ML/M3 sights are great as well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Battery life is the only real argument for getting an aimpoint over an EOTECH, but I have never understood why it matters. It's 2 double-freaking-As. Just replace them every once in a while and be done with it.

I disagree with the previous assessment. I've owned both, and I think that if you are focusing on the target, both eyes open, you really don't notice the tube of the Aimpoint.

I do like the reticle of the Eotech, but I am very, very impressed with what Aimpoint has been coming out with lately. The M4S and Micro series are absolutely fantastic. Even the C/ML/M3 sights are great as well.
Why bother with a round optic when you can have a big screen TV?

To each his/her own I guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts