Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a decent Eotech for the AK, or is this primarily an AR-15 thing? I want to go to a reflexisve fight for my AK, and I wanted to go with quality and durability. AK's are tough and I want a sight that is equally as tough. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Most optics are not platform specific, they only require you have a picatinny rail to mount to.

You can either get a new dust cover with a rail attached, or buy the side mount adapter that mounts to the side of your reciever, assuming you have the mount there. The side mount will be more accurate, the dust cover will be significantly cheaper and easier to install.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I do have an upper receiver cover that is made for scope mounts, and I am guessing reflexisve optics as well. The only reason I was curious about EOtech is I have a back order with optics planet on a 557 that gives .223 bullet drop info for my AR, but I like the concept of the reflexisve sight on these types of riles, I just wanted to know if all EO's are AR platform, or there are some that are for essentially most semi-auto rifles, or there is an AK specific one for the 7.62x39. I am getting my first EO. When I was uniform we used iron sights. Recently, EO's have come along, and I have seen them and I really like them. I apprecaite your info and all the insight I can get on the AK with the EO.

·
Registered
646 Posts
As everyone said, almost any optic will work with the rail system, but I've noticed on my AK that the positioning is always placed just a little too high, requiring a slightly raised cheek weld position. Or, I may have bony cheeks but it's something to take into consideration when making a selection.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, optics tend to be a little weird on the AK.

If you ask me, there are really only two options.

1- The LaRue Iron Dot
LaRue Tactical AK-IronDot

2- Ultimak Rail:
AK-47 Scope Mount, Stocks, Mini-14 Scope Mount, M1 .30 Carbine Scope Mount

Now I've heard unconfirmed rumors that putting an Eotech on top of the Ultimak rail risks melting the sight from all the heat in your gas tube.

I've never personally tried that before so I can't say if it's really a worry.
I have replaced the upper receiver cover with one that has a groved rail so a scope can be mounted and the iron sights are still visible. I wonder if I could mount to that? Simply because I always like having my iron sights as a backup for the optic.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
The dust cover generally isn't considered stable enough for mounting optics. I plan on using an Ultimak mount with an Eotech. A friend of mine uses his AK with the Ultimak/Eotech setup in 3-gun competition, so I think it'll be more than durable enough for my uses.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
AK reciever covers won't fit well enough to provide a good stable mount for the optic in my opinion, but that's just my way of looking at it.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
EoTech mounted on the UltiMak

EoTech mounted via side mount (NOT dust cover)

I prefer it mounted farther up on the UltiMak, but either will sufice :mrgreen:

Only thing I don't like is that yo ucan't use your iron sights. However with a throw arm and the ultimak, it's easy to remove the optic and use the irons.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
EoTech mounted on the UltiMak

I prefer it mounted farther up on the UltiMak, but either will sufice :mrgreen:

Only thing I don't like is that you can't use your iron sights. However with a throw arm and the ultimak, it's easy to remove the optic and use the irons.
Man, that's cool but with $100 for the Ultimak and $300 for the EOTech and $100 for the throwlever mount, there's probably more $$ in the sight system than the gun. The guys running the Aimoint Micro have a lot more than that in it.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Made a mistake buying a scope mount designed to work with the side mounted receiver rail. The mount was not high enough. The reflex red dot scope works OK, but now the top cover will not come off. The scope/mount must be removed to properly clean the AK. Oh well. The mount came in three heights, I should have gotten the next higher one. Oh well. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Man, that's cool but with $100 for the Ultimak and $300 for the EOTech and $100 for the throwlever mount, there's probably more $$ in the sight system than the gun. The guys running the Aimoint Micro have a lot more than that in it.
Not an uncommon thing -- it's pretty normal to see a $450 bolt action sporting a $600 scope. Good optics are expensive, with few exceptions.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Not an uncommon thing -- it's pretty normal to see a $450 bolt action sporting a $600 scope. Good optics are expensive, with few exceptions.
I understand that concept - I'm a big fan of Leupold myself. I just think there's a better use of $1000 than spending over $200 in mounts to put a $300 holo sight on a $450 AK.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Sure, I'd tend to agree. In my case, I'll be doing just the Ultimak ($90), with an Eotech purchased through my friend who works for L3 ($200). $300 total for darn near the best sight solution for the AK isn't bad, I think.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Made a mistake buying a scope mount designed to work with the side mounted receiver rail. The mount was not high enough. The reflex red dot scope works OK, but now the top cover will not come off. The scope/mount must be removed to properly clean the AK. Oh well. The mount came in three heights, I should have gotten the next higher one. Oh well. HB of CJ :) :) :)
You clean your AK???!!! Why? :mrgreen:

And yes, I bought both mounts to decide which I wanted. I need to list the side mount for sale.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sure, I'd tend to agree. In my case, I'll be doing just the Ultimak ($90), with an Eotech purchased through my friend who works for L3 ($200). $300 total for darn near the best sight solution for the AK isn't bad, I think.
Sounds like a good buy. Definitely to each his own, I'm sure we could all look at everyone else's collections and point out stuff we wouldn't pay for in a million years.

I definitely think EOTechs are great sights, I really like the one I have.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have EoTech's mounted via Ultimaks on multiple AK's. Nothing has melted, even after dozens of rounds quickly, in the 95 degree weather of the Gulf Coast summer. Well, I may have melted, but the gun and optic have done fine.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True, I have a Weatherby 7mm mag that I plan on putting a Shepherd scope on, and the scope is more expensive than the rifle. However, I plan on doing the same to my SAKO .338 win mag, and in that case the rifle is actually worth more than the sight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts