Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I sold my Eotech I'm going to need a new optic eventually. Just trying to see what my options are. I know of the two obvious choices, Eotech and Aimpoint. I'd rather not get an Eo since I want to try something new. But what other options are there?

Price is a factor, and I'm not going more then $500 (no matter what). But I've been eyeing the NcStar "tactical" mkIII scopes lately. I really liked my NcStar I had on my Hi-Point, I felt for the money it's a really good optic. Any opinions on them? I figure some magnification would do well for 3 gun. I figure for around $100 it can't be that bad.

Other opinions?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my goodness...i was going to suggest a short dot, but then i checked the prices

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
NcStar tends to be junk I'd spend a little more and get the SPOT it's suppose to be an excellent range optic

Personally I wouldn't put an NcStar on my airsoft rifle

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
For around $100 you won't get much worth a crap, now going up to $500 opens up quite a bit of stuff.

What do you want this optic to do ?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I got a Aimpoint M2 or C2 which ever you want to call it for $411 OTD. It is nice and batery last for 10,000 hour's. I bought it at Sportsmanswarehouse

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For around $100 you won't get much worth a crap, now going up to $500 opens up quite a bit of stuff.

What do you want this optic to do ?
Everything?

I'll probably mostly use it for 3 gun. I don't think there's much over 100 yards, so I doubt I'll need magnification. That doesn't mean I don't want it...my eyes could certainly use the help.

I guess most importantly is some form of illuminated reticle. I like the idea of adjustable magnification (say 1x-4x) so it's still useful up close.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NcStar tends to be junk I'd spend a little more and get the SPOT it's suppose to be an excellent range optic

Personally I wouldn't put an NcStar on my airsoft rifle
I checked out the SPOT, and the price sure is right...is that the only model (save for the different dot sizes)?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I got a Aimpoint M2 or C2 which ever you want to call it for $411 OTD. It is nice and batery last for 10,000 hour's. I bought it at Sportsmanswarehouse
Not bad I picked up a NIB ML3 4moa for $350 delivered overnight via fedex from a guy on arfcom that had bought it for an AK build and then lost his job

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Everything?

I'll probably mostly use it for 3 gun. I don't think there's much over 100 yards, so I doubt I'll need magnification. That doesn't mean I don't want it...my eyes could certainly use the help.

I guess most importantly is some form of illuminated reticle. I like the idea of adjustable magnification (say 1x-4x) so it's still useful up close.
This is a good choice that won't break the bank
Millett DMS-1 it is 1-4x

I checked out the SPOT, and the price sure is right...is that the only model (save for the different dot sizes)?
Yes, that the only one. ;)

I also have a SPOT
It was on the same carbine b4 a little re configuration.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
as far as I know it is I belive it basicaly a copy of a ml2 w/4moa dot

I've personally never owned one I did have a tacpoint that worked great but then I picked an ML2 and eventually sold it

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Millet looks nice, but is LOOOOOOOOOONNGG. Looks like you have it basically right on the receiver rail? No riser needed for it?

I think I'll look around for a deal on an Aimpoint for a while (and maybe a flip out magnifier), otherwise I'll pickup the SPOT or Millet.

Mvician, what VFG is that you're using?

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
This is a good choice that won't break the bank
Millett DMS-1 it is 1-4x

Just curious what you think of this scope in terms of short distance shooting say 25 yards give or take? What are your thoughts on the reticle? How is it for quick target acquisition up close (25 yds +/-), eye relief at 4x?

Looks as if you can't use your BUIS ....true?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
That Millet looks nice, but is LOOOOOOOOOONNGG. Looks like you have it basically right on the receiver rail? No riser needed for it?

I think I'll look around for a deal on an Aimpoint for a while (and maybe a flip out magnifier), otherwise I'll pickup the SPOT or Millet.

Mvician, what VFG is that you're using?
The riser is built into the scope mount (LaRue SPR-E)
The VFG is a combo unit flashlight and vfg...Rico Alpha 9

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Just curious what you think of this scope in terms of short distance shooting say 25 yards give or take? What are your thoughts on the reticle? How is it for quick target acquisition up close (25 yds +/-), eye relief at 4x?

Looks as if you can't use your BUIS ....true?

I love the reticle, dot in a circle :cool:

Short distance shooting is about the same for me as with an Aimpoint or EoTech. I've never really tried quickness with it turned to 4x for up close stuff. But then I don't have any trouble with my ACOGs (4x) for 25 yard shooting. :D

Eye relief is around 3"

If I need to use the BUIS (Matech), the scope mount is a LaRue with QD levers. You couldn't cowitness buis in conjuction with a magnified optic, so there is no need to be able to flip it up with the scop mounted.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
I love the reticle, dot in a circle :cool:

Short distance shooting is about the same for me as with an Aimpoint or EoTech. I've never really tried quickness with it turned to 4x for up close stuff. But then I don't have any trouble with my ACOGs (4x) for 25 yard shooting. :D

Eye relief is around 3"

If I need to use the BUIS (Matech), the scope mount is a LaRue with QD levers. You couldn't cowitness buis in conjuction with a magnified optic, so there is no need to be able to flip it up with the scop mounted.
So if I want to punch holes in cardboard at 25-50 yards it's good and if I want to try my luck at milk jugs or pumpkins at 200-300 yards the 4x will be good? Is the center dot going to obscure a milk jug sized target at 200-300?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I own the SPOT and think its great. If you want to save some money, the SPOT is the first optic I'd look at. The only downside is battery life, which is about 150 hours I think?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I own the SPOT and think its great. If you want to save some money, the SPOT is the first optic I'd look at. The only downside is battery life, which is about 150 hours I think?
Yeah, I saw that...I think I'll grab the SPOT for my Hi-Point, and the Millet for the AR.

Now what to sell to fund all this....hmmm.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I highly suggest the Aimpoint. I have both the EOTech and Aimpoint, and I must say I like my Aimpoint best. I believe someone is selling an Aimpoint with some mounts for the price you are looking to spend. Look over on the trading post... ;)

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
So if I want to punch holes in cardboard at 25-50 yards it's good and if I want to try my luck at milk jugs or pumpkins at 200-300 yards the 4x will be good? Is the center dot going to obscure a milk jug sized target at 200-300?

center dot is 1 moa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts