Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a Beretta 92FS since 2019 and it is more comfortable to carry with me as a CCW. But I have not been able to do it for an Entry level AR 15.I am taking steps to building an AR 15 like the Ruger 5.56 , S&W M&P 15. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about where I could know how to build a gun for entry level usages

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I published on article from RECOIL Magazine on one firm’s 6mm ARC Pistol. The bottom line is to Google components that others have used

Some sources for parts art:

Ar15 discounts
Wing Tactical
CMMG
Brownells
DVOR
Midway USA

Just price and compare components.

·
21,880 Posts
You CCW a 92FS? Are you a giant?

Reactions: HiDrag

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have been using a Beretta 92FS since 2019 and it is more comfortable to carry with me as a CCW. But I have not been able to do it for an Entry level AR 15.I am taking steps to building an AR 15 like the Ruger 5.56 , S&W M&P 15. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about where I could know how to build a gun for entry level usages
If you could find one, I would suggest buying either the Ruger or S&W. Basic model, get used to it, then decide what you want for bells and whistles and build your own.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Radical firearms makes a great $500 rifle, primaryarms is one of the places that sells them. Select their "notify me" option and they will email you when instock, but once they email you they sell out quick (due to all the current drama) so you have to jump immediately.

They come with m-lok handguards and the rest is run of the mill milspec parts. Great rifle to start with, then the nve you know what you like you can build something better.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am taking steps to building an AR 15 like the Ruger 5.56 , S&W M&P 15. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about where I could know how to build a gun for entry level usages
If you could find one, I would suggest buying either the Ruger or S&W. Basic model, get used to it, then decide what you want for bells and whistles and build your own.
^ +1 ^

One of the finest entry level rifles you can buy:

M&P®15 SPORT II™ with MAGPUL® MOE® M-LOK® | Smith & Wesson

For our basic AR class I rented a Ruger and let wifey shoot our M&P 15 Sport II. Didn't like the Ruger much, then picked up my S&W wifey was using. The Ruger made me appreciate the S&W even more.

Just my opinion.

A year ago they were on sale (got mine for $465). Keep an eye out, but in the current environment if you find one at all you gotta pay what they ask.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I bought an Adams Arms Witch Doctor for $800. I've put a thousand through it so far with zero malfunctions. I love this gun. :)

IWI Zion for about the same price. IWI makes good stuff.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Keep your eye on the numerous Black Friday sales coming next week. You should be able to find deals on complete ARs, complete uppers and lowers and parts to build your own.

Should you decide to build your own AR 15. I would recommend buying a good quality trigger and barrel with headspace bolt or BCG to match.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I have two store bought, a Daniels Defense and a Colt. Built three with full complete uppers by Bear Creek (Side charger not my best choice) Armalite (Still a favorite) and Noveske (18" primo choice) then I did several complete Aero Precision builds they turned out great.
Built some AR-10's and AR-15 Pistols and a AR-9 Pistol (PSA)

Barrel and trigger are most important. Chrome lined is great, Melonite is as good.

I resisted Red Dots, but now love them. Cheap ones work, expensive even better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
^ +1 ^

One of the finest entry level rifles you can buy:

M&P®15 SPORT II™ with MAGPUL® MOE® M-LOK® | Smith & Wesson

For our basic AR class I rented a Ruger and let wifey shoot our M&P 15 Sport II. Didn't like the Ruger much, then picked up my S&W wifey was using. The Ruger made me appreciate the S&W even more.

Just my opinion.

A year ago they were on sale (got mine for $465). Keep an eye out, but in the current environment if you find one at all you gotta pay what they ask.
I second this rifle!! It might be classified as entry level. But this one has what you want to get started with. Shoots wonderful groups. The model version I bought had the Crimson sight. I ended up adding the front and real flip up sights. If you don't need the optics, just get the one listed above. Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II Optics Ready Magpul MOE M-LOK Carbine-Length Handguard With CTS-103 Red Dot 5.56mm NATO 16in Black Modern Sporting Rifle - 30+1 Rounds | Sportsman's Warehouse

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 for the M&P15 SPORT II M-LOK. It's a great starter AR. It'll give you a feel for the platform and through use, you'll be able to better figure out what you like and dislike. Once you have a better grasp of your preferences as far as the AR goes, then I personally suggest building one from the ground up. Source parts only from reputable dealers and manufacturers. I personally got the black rifle bug from a Bushmaster XM-15E2S and have built 24 AR's since in the last 2yrs.

As was said already, barrel(with a matched bolt is always good) and trigger are your most important choices, but don't overlook anything. For instance, last thing you want to do is buy a cheap gas block and tube because "a gas block is a gas block", because it's the most likely place for an AR to fail. There's a LOT of little details building an AR, we'll be here when you get to that point to help you with anything we can.

Good luck with getting yourself your starter AR though, this current market is CRAZY, and prices are higher than normal, keep that in mind. Also check the platforms where private individuals buy and sell firearms and firearms related components as well. Good luck my friend, you'll love the AR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another user, BassBob I believe, mentioned an Adam's Arms Witch Doctor for $800. Considering the manufacturer, that isn't a bad price at all, and would be about as much AR as any entry-level shooter could want. Plus I know Adams Arms stands behind their products, which is something that's getting harder and harder to find in a company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the S&W M&P would be great for a first time AR. I bought both my son and daughter one for their first time ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts