Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for the gunsmiths and machinists in here. I have a concept for a 2 piece compensator that will lock in over the sight lug and groove of a No.4 Mk1 Enfield. It would have 3 circle cut-outs at 90 degrees on top, and 4 secondary cutouts 1 at each side of the first and third primaries at a complementary angle to the bore, measuring 1/2 the diameter of the three primaries. I picture it in two pieces secured by four torx head machine screws bored through a metal tongue at each side and secured in tapped holes on the bottom tongues.

The specific intended purpose is to mitigate the muzzle flip caused by the replacement of the military stock with one of the ATI synthetics. I'm going to solidify the stock with lead shot and an epoxy mixture to help add weight and structure to the hollow cavities. I'm hoping that adding weight to the forestock will help some, but the current muzzle flip is enough to bounce the gun on a bipod 3 or 4 times, so I need to augment the added weight with a mechanical aid.

The questions I have are these:

How much should a compensator be over-bored in relationship to the diameter of the bullet? The stated bore of the Enfield is .311.
What would be the consequences of boring the compensator out too far? Is there a set ratio for the measurment of the compensator bore to the actual bore of the rifle?
How difficult would it be to actually manufacture such a part, and how much would it cost to have one made?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts