Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a relatively recent development but my 13rd mags no longer drop free when they're empty and I hit the mag release. It's an XD 45 ACP Tactical with relatively few rounds (probably less than 1,000 in aggregate) fired.

When the mags *were* dropping free, I never let them hit the ground (or anything else hard); I used to catch them when they came out of the mag well. Unfortunately, now when the mag release is pressed on an empty mag, the mag drops part of an inch and then stops. I have to manually pull the magazine the rest of the way out and there's a bit of resistance (not more than a few ounces) on the mag to get it past the sticking point; the rest of the withdrawal is smooth and the mag *would* drop free if it weren't for the "sticking point."

A loaded mag with even a few rounds left will still drop free.

Do I just need to clean out the mag well? It's been a couple hundred rounds since it was last cleaned and it doesn't look filthy. The weapon is carried daily in a IWB holster.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I would try to clean out the magwell first. You may have some built up powder residue inside, even if it doesn't look filthy. Try wiping it out with a rag/cloth with some bore cleaner on it and see if it helps. I would also wipe down the mags themselves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do you have the older or newer style mags? You can tell by looking on the mag and locating the springfield armory emblem. The older mags top rear portion of the mag (where the rear of the bullet sits) tends to dent outwards due the pressure of the load when firing. This is more obvious when using +p loads. I called SA when I first started noticing this problem. They sent me 3 free mags. I still have 6 mags where it is not free falling on empty mags and some partially full mags. I plan to call SA and ask them to replace the remaining mags. Other members in my Dept have already had all their mags changed out already. I can post pics of the old and newer style mags. I can also post pics of the top of the mag where it dents outwards too. I have seen the top rear of a older mag begin to split. This is from using Federal 230gr +p HST loads.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 1911 I used to own. The problem was with the magazine follower not putting enough pressure on the slide-stop. When the magazine is empty, the tension that the follower places on the slide-stop assists in dropping the magazine. With an empty magazine and the slide back, insert the magazine and look for any possible points where the magazine may be rubbing on the frame. Then check to see if the follower is properly engaging your slide-stop. A worn or maligned follower may be your problem. Even if your slide remains locked back after firing the last round, don't discount the follower in this problem.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
There should be zero resistance to the mag dropping free regardless of the follower.
explorer has it right, check the rear of the mag, right behind a loaded bullet, it is probobly dented back. Apparently the fired round, while being extracted, hits the front of the next to be loaded round and forces it to the rear of the mag causing it to dent.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
There should be zero resistance to the mag dropping free regardless of the follower.
explorer has it right, check the rear of the mag, right behind a loaded bullet, it is probobly dented back. Apparently the fired round, while being extracted, hits the front of the next to be loaded round and forces it to the rear of the mag causing it to dent.
The only reason I mentioned the follower is because I've had it happen on other firearms that the follower didn't put enough pressure on the slide-stop to cause the magazine to have that positive feel of a spring-loaded release.

Yes, typically problems with magazines releasing will be a problem with the magazine, but if there was one simple answer to everything, forums like this wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As Explorer1046 said.

Springfield had a problem (something to do with the metalurgy) with some of the magazines for the XD45 where the back of the magazine at the top would bend out. I've got a couple range magazine that exhibit this and when it gets to where they won't drop free I tap the bent section with a hammer and they are fine again.

If yours have this problem contact SA and they should take care of you.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have like 20 magz... 45acp and 9mm.... you think SA with exchange them all?? I'll have to call them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont believe the 9mm mags are gonna have that issue. As far as the 45 mags that are not free falling. Give them a call and tell them the mags are not free falling and occassionally jamming and see what they say. I called asking if I can swap 6 mags for the newer ones due to non free falling and jamming. They sent me 3 free mags instead was because I told them I was a LEO and I needed them for my duty rig. This was the 2nd time I got 3 free mags from them :D. They never asked me for the old ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guys just got off the phone with SA LE customer service. Three new BLACK LE 45 mags comming my way. Lexi at SA suggested I keep the older shinny ones for the range. Great customer service and knowledge of the issue. My XD 45 may just have to become my permanent duty gun:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
hey how u get the black mags.....I was sent 3 of the newer silver mags.....I have to agree they have excellent customer service. lexi is the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts
+1 on the denting of the mag tops. When was the last time you cleaned your mags?-at about 850 rounds/mag I had a few FTFs-per a posting, I took apart and cleaned my 3 mags with some breakfree (took 5 min total). No FTFs since- a light coating of breakfree on the outside and they really DROP! Cleaning the mag well is a great idea, I ran a rag thru it and got alot of residue out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
+2 on the denting of mag tops. SA said that as they were developing the black LE mags out of a different metal, reports of problems with the old style mags were comming in. Their theory is, especialy for indoor range shooters, mags were being dropped on concrete and the original metal was denting. I will keep my old shinny ones for range work and use the new style black ones for duty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just noticed the same thing for my XD compact. New gun with less than 200 rounds and the 10 round mag already deformed enough to restrict the drop. Fixed it with a needle nose plier and a slight bend.

I am going to call SA tomorrow and see if they can help with the deforming mags.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts