Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly 3 moths to the day of ordering my EMP it arrived. Read the manual, like a good boy and attempted to engage an empty magazine. Met with significant resistance and it took a heck of a lot of force to engage the magazine. I had a buddy try and engage the mag without telling him what i had encountered and he also believed the force required was nothing he had ever experienced. called SA and rep who advised this to be "normal" for 1911s.:shock: he noted it had to be "broken in" and advised "slap" the mag in. The mags now started to show a consistent scratch along the magazine from inside the mag well where it was meeting resistance. After doing this about a dozen times the mag release screw snapped in half. It is now on its way back to SA. Anyone else have a similar experience with EMP being too tight?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
No, what you have is normal, this is how 1911 guns load... the mag should go in a ways and then you would have to smack it in the rest of the way... this will lessen once your gun is broken in quite well....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mp3mogul, the mag even failed to engage after a good slap and required another "push" so to speak to fully enagae. All of the 1911s i have handled were no where near as tight as this. ie. marring the magazines and eventually snapping the mag release screw after only inserting the magazine a dozen times or so. I even went to the local dealer who has a .40 cal EMP on display and compared the two with a significantly noticeable difference. should be on its way back from the factory soon and we'll see if it is any different.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
MJM, good luck with your EMP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks EdSky. During the brief relationship i had with the EMP the fit and feel were perfect. If it shoots as good as it looks i think i'll be one happy camper!

·
Registered
260 Posts
This seems pretty normal, at least from what I have experienced with them. My girlfriend has one, as does her father, and both had similar issues like you're describing when they were brand new. It gets better, just gotta shoot it. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I hope to get mine back from Springfield this week or next. Besides the "problems" I experienced, it is lightweight and very accurate for a small barrel. A great little pistol, IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EdSky, what problems did you experience?

I met a guy a few months ago while i was waiting for my EMP who has over 5000 rounds through his and it is his daily CCW. so i can't wait to get it back. i have not even had a chance to fire it yet :mad: He also recommended as the most reliable carry round, Winchester silvertip 115 grain HPs. I guess there has been some issues with HP ammo and ftf, but he has found this out of all he has "tested" to function flawlessly. just any FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts