Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had log man from 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin mod 2 of my EMP mags this week.

Old Log's EMP Mag Mod w/Pics - 1911Forum

He did a great job on them.
I sent them off Monday and had them back Friday.
He charges $20.00 per mag plus $7.00 for Priority mail return, so one is $27.00 or two is $47.00 and three $67.00, and so on.
He only takes Postal money orders for payments.

You do lose a round with this mod, but I had no problem with that.
I was already used to carrying either a Sig P239 or my Kimber CDP Ultra.
Both of them are 8 +1 anyway.
He says he can do this mod to either 9mm or 40cal EMP mags.

Before...

After........

And now I have witness holes....
Top hole is used to hold the spring to take them apart for cleaning.

I like it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the post and nice pics. The bottom witness hole is actually for taking these apart. The top one is 4 rounds and the bottom is 8 rounds, for the 9mm.

LOG

·
Registered
244 Posts
Log man did some of these for me. They're awesome. No reliability issues either. A little more difficult to clean but I don't use them at the range anyway. They're just for carry.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post and nice pics. The bottom witness hole is actually for taking these apart. The top one is 4 rounds and the bottom is 8 rounds, for the 9mm.

LOG
Thank you log man..
I wasn't sure on the take down, so thanks for clearing that up.
Thanks for signing up so these guys can contact you if needed.
I've learned many things from you and others on the other forum.
As my Sig obsession wanes, my new interest in 1911s flourishes..;)

Welcome to the forum..
James 1LL

Just to be clear on the purpose of this mod, this a short run down of what log man does and why he does it.
I wasn't sure if one had to be a 1911 forum member to view the link I provided in the OP.

There are no flush mags for the EMP.:|
The EMP mags are not standard size, they are smaller (front to back) than a standard 9mm 1911 mag.
That thinner grip and fit in my hand is why I bought the EMP and sold the Kimber.
SA doesn't make a mag that has a flush baseplate for the EMP, and SA is the only one that makes them.
So if you buy an EMP pistol, you're pretty much stuck with a mag with an extended plate that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
But I guess SA wanted to have a 9 rd cap being most similar pistols (9mm Kimber ultras, and Colt 3 inch 9mms) have an 8rd cap.

What log man basically does was this;
The EMP mags are a standard assembly.
Slide off the base, remove the retainer base, spring comes out, follower, etc.
What he does is remove the base and retainer, leaving the bottom of the mag tube open.
He then drills holes, needed to take the mag apart after the mod.
Then he smooths out the bottom removing the baseplate groove.
The he WELDS a bottom to the mag, cleans up the weld and polishes it.

So there is a little more to it than just drilling some holes and removing the plastic baseplate.
For $20 each, I think it is well worth it to get a flush fit mag.
I'll use the standard baseplate mags at the range (I used the loaded coupon to buy more).
But I had two modded for carry..1LL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Things have a way of developing and evolving. The flush floor plate is the original 1911 45acp design, but folks wanted more rounds than the 7. So Devel sold flush 8 rounders, unfortunately they cracked and Devel gave most the money back, and sold the patent to CMC which made it work pretty well with the Shooting Star line.

Bumper pads became popular, so much so that many flush mag plates are drilled for them.

So, ACT, Met-Gar, Wilson, and others designed a base that looks like a slam pad, and is, but is also a slightly extended mag tube for the "extra" round.

Then came the desire by the buying public to have a compact conceal carry.

I've been shortening Wilson and Met-Gar 38 super to compact length because they don't make them without the extended base also. Kinda funny.

But it comes down to the dollar and manufacturing decisions. If SA had tooled up for both and shipped the EMP with the flush mags, they would have a lot of sales for the +1 base style.

LOG

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
That looks very nice 1LL...And a warm welcome to log man...:)

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting. what excellent workmanship (log man).

In doing this are you losing the ability for your pinky to fit on the grip?

If I ever get a EMP at least two mags are heading to log man !!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks for posting. what excellent workmanship (log man).

In doing this are you losing the ability for your pinky to fit on the grip?

If I ever get a EMP at least two mags are heading to log man !!
I'd say I have average medium/large hands.
I don't feel much of a difference with either grip.
Pics suck but you get the idea...;)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Very nice.

This is not helping my desire for an EMP.

So if you ever have to change out a mag spring?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice.

So if you ever have to change out a mag spring?
You'll need to push the follower with the eraser end of a pencil about half way down and insert a small screw driver, allen wrench, or pin punch through both round counter holes. Then shake out the follower from tube. Now remove the screw driver to release spring from mag tube.
Or, if you don't want to take a chance of bending the lips by pushing down with something, you simply load 3 or 4 rounds, put an allen wrench or something small through the holes at the top of the spring, and unload it. You can then either shake or pull the follower out. I turn it upside down and remove the allen wrench and then take out the spring.
I clean my mags every range trip..

It is easier than this geek makes it look, but it is the first video I found.;)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ya, my 1911 knowledge lacks any experience.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Very nice.

my thoughts exactly, sure wish i could stumble across about a grand. anyone know any good places/prices to find this thing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
CDNN sent me an e-mail Just this week, showing they had the EMP for $1099.

Wish I'd known of them when I bought mine. I had to go through Gunbroker. No one had one, and couldn't say when they could supply it if I paid in advance.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts