Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just asking about any issues with the EMP now that it has been out on the market for awile. I own a 9MM EMP and aside with an issue with the safety (which springfield promptly repaired..after I paid shipping!!?) I have had no problems. It is highly accurate with no failures to feed, fire etc and is my favorite pistol ( I also own a springfield loaded SS 45 and a XD 9) thanks for any input. Hope you all have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same here. It is my winter carry weapon and favorite to shoot.

By the way, does anyone know how to remove the safety? It would slim down the weapon quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I love mine. It has been customized and is almost finished. I installed XS Big Dot tritium sights, a Cylinder & Slide single sided thumb safety, a Wilson bullet proof slide lock, a Wilson mainspring housing w/Officer model guts, Davidson's 4x4 thin grips (rounded), traditional styled Commander hammer, 10-8 solid trigger, 10-8 angled mag release, EGW internals, rounded the butt, fit the slide/frame/grip safety/ejector/extractor, restaked the plunger tube (much needed on almost every Springer), and high cut the front strap. I am going to try to put a little Browning cut with ball cuts on the slide, cut a French border, checker the frontstrap 30Lpi, and refinish the whole thing in Black T.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
As soon as I finish it I will be happy to post photos. Right now, the only things that would jump out at you are the sights and the grips.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Can you post part numbers for the safety, slide lock, and mainspring housing? It's hard to figure out what'll fit the EMP and Springfield is tight-lipped about it. Those are the only things I want to change for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Can you post part numbers for the safety, slide lock, and mainspring housing? It's hard to figure out what'll fit the EMP and Springfield is tight-lipped about it. Those are the only things I want to change for now.

Thanks
The thumb and grip safety are the same as any other 1911. The slide stop is any 9mm/.38 Super 1911 slide stop. Mainspring housing is an Officer's model size. The extractor, firing pin, plunger tube and a couple of minor parts are unique to the EMP. Hammers, sears, disconnects are all standard 1911.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Thank you, sir.

My EMP had all sorts of problems with just about every round today. It sat for about 45 minutes in the shade in upper-30 degree temps, while I had flawless performance from my Loaded 9mm.

Then, I picked up the EMP and experienced failure after failure. I'm going to strip and clean and oil it, and pray that when it's on my hip it stays warm enough to function as a defensive sidearm.

Anyone else try shooting a near-frozen EMP?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I own a 9MM EMP and aside with an issue with the safety (which springfield promptly repaired..after I paid shipping!!?)
When I sent my EMP back, I sent them my receipt from UPS & they cut me a check for $50. Wouldn't hurt to ask them if they'll do the same for you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Anyone else try shooting a near-frozen EMP?
Im seriously considering getting the 9mm EMP. My step dad has one and it shoots great. I just shot it again on Saturday and it was in the low 20s outside. Fired 100 rounds. Perfect. In the beginning when he first bought the pistol it had a couple FTF but now its been flawless.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I took my EMP to Arkansas' best gunsmith last month and he reamed the chamber properly and spent several hours with me working the pistol up to perfection. It is now flawless (except for what now looks like rust in the frame's rails but is hopefully something else, but with my luck I'll accept anything.)

Unfortunately, the gunsmith, Hayden B. Oliver, passed away two weeks ago. May God rest your soul, Oliver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
EdSky, i too after a recent stripping/cleaning saw the same "rust". I was curious to see if anyone else noticed this and whether or not it could be just the wearing away off the black from the frame. Other than that i highly recommend the EMP.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
EdSky, i too after a recent stripping/cleaning saw the same "rust". I was curious to see if anyone else noticed this and whether or not it could be just the wearing away off the black from the frame. Other than that i highly recommend the EMP.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That whatever their blueing is wears in a funny way and looks like something between copper and rust colored. I keep my EMP dry and fairly well oiled, so it's the last thing I think would rust.

Except for my initial feeding problems I also highly recommend the EMP. (The plunger pin that faces the safety is also undersized and a full-size one makes for a more secure safety.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That whatever their blueing is wears in a funny way and looks like something between copper and rust colored. I keep my EMP dry and fairly well oiled, so it's the last thing I think would rust.
Thats what i'm guessing b/c i do the same in terms of maintenance and care as well. Plus, i have only had mine for 3 months or so which in the dry winter New England months would surprise me that rust would occur so quickly.

(The plunger pin that faces the safety is also undersized and a full-size one makes for a more secure safety.)
EdSky, did you just get standard 1911 size pin? please advise how this helped. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Now you have me thinking. I thought he said the pin was 1/8" too short, but now I can't remember if it was the spring. I'm pretty sure it was the pin.

It was definitely a standard sized pin because he actually launched the original under his bench and put in one from his parts box. He did find the original later that evening :)

It helped by making the safety "click" into a locked position, where it didn't click before and would on occasion work lose (safety off).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts