Other than using that plastic take down tool, it field strips like a 1911 without a barrel bushing
1. Drop Magazine
2. Pull slide back
3. Verify Gun is unloaded
4. Verify Gun is unloaded again
5. Put plastic take down piece on recoil spring
6. Slowly let slide go forward
7. Pull slide back slightly and align the knotch on the slide with the bump of the slide stop
8. Push slide stop from right side of pistol
9. Separate slide and frame
10. Remove recoil spring from slide
11. Lower barrel link and push barrel out of the slide
MJM, the Springfield 1911 manual should be available for download as a PDF. There isn't a direct link to it, but you can get to it off of Springfield Armory by clicking on 1911 manual in the lower left.
If the file's too big, just call Springfield and they will send you one. Enjoy your EMP!
The EMP's guide rod assembly - the all-in-one piece with a compound spring - is a pain to deal with. How do you go about removing it without using the 1/2 inch long plastic clip to compress the springs? Not having to use it (and not worrying about losing it) would be a pleasure.
Call SA and they will send you the plastic take down pieces for free. When I ordered some extra mags with the loaded coupon, I requested 3 of those plastic take down things and they bundled it together with the order (no charge). In a pinch, you can probably make your own.
A forum community dedicated to Springfield Armory XD and XD-M series firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!