Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving into the 1911 territory and ****, I cannot believe it is so hard to make a damn decision. The two that made the final cut are:

SA EMP 40 (3")
Kimber Pro TLE RL II stainless 45 (4")

I'm hoping some of you have experience with either of them and could provide me some additional feedback I should consider in my purchase decision.

I have shot both guns, and like them both. The kimber does sit in my hand a lil better, but I like the size of the EMP as well as the 40 round.

Any info would be appreciate it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've shot the EMP and thought it was a good gun. For me personally I'm just not a huge fan of the 1911 style I suppose. Not to much recoil on it for a .40

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Word on the street is that kimbers are either hit or miss. Several friends have been very disappointed with them. Although there are lots of people that love them. I love the emp and if wasn't a grand would have 1 or 2 sitting in the safe.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Pretty big differences between those two. Dont have the .40 but my wife's 9mm EMP has been rock solid. Shoots well for both of use at just about 4k rounds. My 5" TLE is boringly reliable an accurate. As Agould27 aluded to, The Pro I carry was a nightmare during break in. Three years and nearly 9k rounds later I couldn't see myself without it. Smooth as glass and reliable now.

If you are planning to carry it, I would think about your holster options with that rail and make sure your favorite holster manufacturer makes one for a railed 1911.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My 9mm EMP is my EDC.

9mm is lighter than the 40, less snappy recoil.

One gun I'll never sell, and I've sold a few..;)

Sold the Kimber CDP after buying the EMP.
Nothing wrong with the Kimber, the EMP just fit my grip better.
No break in issues with the Kimber either.
Guess I got lucky..;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for allthe feedback folks! Much appreciate it.

As for the holster on the railed 1911, I know Blackhawk makes the Check Six that work, but it is behind the hip which I am fine with. Has my XDM there in the same holster for a while. Other than that I found a couple custom shops that are able to make holsters for it. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I did check out the EMP9 as well (did not shoot it) but there is def a weight difference. But the weigth od the 40 did not bother me.

God...I hate making decisions like this...

1lowlife - yours is crazy! saw the pic first time in the 1911 forums. Nice work man!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I made my decision. I called the shop and they let me change my order from the TLE RL II to the EMP40. Stopping by to make another payment for it, and should have it home by next thursday once my XDM sells.

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Congrats! I like the EMP40. I'm also a huge TLE Pro fan, but no so much on the railed model. The TLE has all of the features that I like on a 1911. The EMP40 that I shot was a real shooter.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Im about to order a Kimber Ultra Carry or Pro Carry (as soon as the XD sells) still battling that one lol and then shortly after the first of the year Im buying the EMP 9. I couldnt pick between the two so I said screw it Im buying both lol. Only getting the Kimber first because Ive never owned a .45.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well well well.....XDM sold...and welcome my new gat :D picked her up about an hour ago and I am totally geeked! Planning on putting a couple 100 rounds thru it in the coming days, but wanna get her all cleaned and re-lubed first. Totally awesome!!!!! Thanks again for all the feedback and help.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol! I've had my EMP 40 for almost two months and it's been a great pistol. It fits the same holster as my Ultra CDP II and will compete with it for carry time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally I think you made the right choice. I luv my EMP 40, tight as all get out at first but breaks in real nice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the range for the first time and put 200 rds of UMC Bulk thru it. No issues at all. Gun shoots like a dream, however, def something I will need to get used to a lil more. But felt great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts