Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that there is an emp .40 for sale. I thought they were only in 9mm. I've had a chance to fondle a 9mm and liked the feel. I have tons of .40 ammo on hand. I just want some opinions of people that are familiar with the emp 40. I've heard that some of the smaller 1911 style pistols don't like to feed correctly and have malfunctions. I just got and RIA midsize but don't know if that is to big to cc yet. Let me know what you guys think of the emp 40. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I do not have any exp with the pistol in question but, I do know that emp's are extremely reliable gun. if you can conceal it then do it! I know guys that like the small pocket style pistols for cc and I know guys that carry full size 1911's for cc. what one person likes or does not like does not reflect to what the next person might, for example. im 5'11" at 180lbs so im a fairly small frame guy and I have no troubles carrying my xdm 4.5 and my buddy whom is about 5'11" and about 280-290 so hes a bit bigger than me but he will only carry again "pocket pistols". not that it really help[ed you decide but for what its worth it states my point. Remember what works for one does not work for another, choose what you want and get proficient with it and the rest should be history!

·
Registered
755 Posts
i am getting ready to start carrying my emp .40. from what i have read 9mm has aluminum frame and .40 has steel frame. so im guessing the .40 is gonna be a measurable bit heavier than 9mm. i currently carry xdm9compact and think this will be better because it is thinner. now i just have to decide on holster. i currently use crossbreed but am debating leather iwb

·
Registered
563 Posts
i am getting ready to start carrying my emp .40. from what i have read 9mm has aluminum frame and .40 has steel frame. so im guessing the .40 is gonna be a measurable bit heavier than 9mm. i currently carry xdm9compact and think this will be better because it is thinner. now i just have to decide on holster. i currently use crossbreed but am debating leather iwb
As per the SA web site:
Springfield Armory
The 9mm has an aluminum frame and weighs in at 26oz (with an empty mag) and the 40s&w has a steel frame and weighs in at 33oz (with an empty mag).

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
im 5'11" at 1180lbs so im a fairly small frame guy and I have no troubles carrying my xdm 4.5 and my buddy whom is about 5'11" and about 280-290 so hes a bit bigger than me but he will only carry "pocket pistols". not that it really help[ed you decide but for what its worth it states my point.
I don't care what you say.....anyone who weighs more than 1000lbs. Is a BIG frame guy! :D

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are plenty of similar threads on this forum concerning the EMP .40 for CC but I will weigh in here as well:

Yes, the EMP .40 is an excellent choice for EDCC. However, be aware that it is heavier, particularly with a full mag than the EMP 9mm; and it packs a bigger recoil. I found the EMP .40 recoil uncomfortable and decided to stick with the 9mm or the SA Micro .45 ACP. Yes, the .40 packs a bigger recoil kick than the .45 ACP.

Other than that, it is a great gun for concealed carry.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Yes, the .40 packs a bigger recoil kick than the .45 ACP.

I wouldnt say BIGGER but its more snappy than the .45 as to where a .45 is more of a push.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I shot it once and wasn't really a fan. It wasn't the recoil just how the gun shot. But that's just me seems like many people who own it love it.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Should me easier and more comfortable than any XD due to it's width. EMP more narrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a very small guy and I carry my EMP .40 in a N82 holster and it's pretty comfortable.
I notice the weight with other holsters, but the N82 holster is very nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts