Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a WI/UT/FL CC class today and a shoot for the FL permit. The class ran long and there were people expecting me elsewhere so I shot first. The first 3 trigger pulls were silent. :shock::shock::shock: WTF? Click! rack, Click! rack, Click! rack, bang!

Picked up the duds and cycled them again and had 1 bang and 2 more clicks.

Next group of 5 had a stove pipe to clear. :shock:

Next group of 5-change mag-5 more had a dud :shock:

Oh well, got some "clearance drills" done :oops:

Inspecting the cleared rounds showed light strikes with nearly no mark to a 1/2 azzed mark.

Still, even with the entire class watching me fail to fire, the shooting went well. Had 6 holes in the "4" zone with the rest in the "5" for a score of 144/150. I don't usually shoot at "real" targets and not at that close distance (15 and 25 feet) so I was a bit nervous about it. Guess I didn't need to be. The guy on the other end of the line that was "talking up" a bit should have been as he had 8-10 holes outside the silhouette for -5 per hole. (ouch):rolleyes:

Field stripped the gun at home and found nothing. Will have to do a detail strip on the slide to see what the deal was.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Man...scary. let us know what us figure out.

Gummed up striker channel? Debris in striker channel? Broken striker retainer pin?

Definitely hope it was an ammo related issue.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Oh wow. Was it your ammo or was it supplied by the place you went to?

We used some weird frangible stuff in my class.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah -- scary. The instructor's comment "You know you're dead, right?"

Of course he also said, "Damn! Nice group"

It was a red box of Federal FMJ 180 gr .40s&w.

I don't think the striker channel is gummed up as I don't oil it and recently had the striker out. (t was clean then) Could be the retainer pin - it's the original and it gets a fair bit of dry fires. Gun's in the several thousands of rounds area and 4-5x that in dry fires (no snap caps).

Could be the ammo -- could be the gun. Will keep updating as details are determined.

j

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I bet that went over like a lead balloon. Wow! can only imagine the confidence we have in our XD's and that happens. Guess it is better that it happened on the range, and NOT in a SD scenario. ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I bet that went over like a lead balloon. Wow! can only imagine the confidence we have in our XD's and that happens. Guess it is better that it happened on the range, and NOT in a SD scenario. ;)
Better on the range but I think I would still be nervous about carrying that gun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd try to find some buddies to help you run a few different brands of ammo through your weapon, and also try some different magazines, and try to track down the problem. I'd had for you to go through a warranty issue with the gun over mag spring issues or something equally simple.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Hate to hear that, we have thousands of rounds through our XD and XD(M) guns, notta one failure. Hope you get it figured out

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better on the range but I think I would still be nervous about carrying that gun.

That's a big 10-4 !

I have probably 6 different brands of ammo on hand. The Federal has been reliable, but it is fairly old. Not that "old" should be an excuse! I regularly shoot 60 year old mil surp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's a big 10-4 !

I have probably 6 different brands of ammo on hand. The Federal has been reliable, but it is fairly old. Not that "old" should be an excuse! I regularly shoot 60 year old mil surp.
Yeah, I'll bet you do, Gramps... :D

... but through what weapon?

First off, a hearty "YEAH!" for the fact that I can include a copy of my DD214 instead of having to take a class.

Other than that, "old" ammo I don't know, but I'd treat it like an old car, and check the things that are cheap and simple first. In this case, I'd assume feed issues, old duds, and if you're always firing old ammo maybe it fires dirty and you need a little extra cleaning? Then the magazines, and then the gun itself.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet you do, Gramps... :D

... but through what weapon?

First off, a hearty "YEAH!" for the fact that I can include a copy of my DD214 instead of having to take a class.

Other than that, "old" ammo I don't know, but I'd treat it like an old car, and check the things that are cheap and simple first. In this case, I'd assume feed issues, old duds, and if you're always firing old ammo maybe it fires dirty and you need a little extra cleaning? Then the magazines, and then the gun itself.
FYI:
A DD214 doesn't teach you about State laws, and it's not accepted in many States, as a replacement for a class.

John,
Most likely ammo ... And I'm sure that stuff isn't what's in in for defensive use, right.

But hey,
That's the beauty of an XD ... Other than ammo issues, they pretty much always go bang :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
right now... the gl*ck guys are talking about the guy with the XDm that doesn't work. :(
hey, don't worry, AZXD has already logged in over there and let them know...they are on this now - and it applies for ALL XDms too! (LOL, running gag i got w/AZ in jest).

do keep us posted on WTF actually caused this! i'm commenting so i can go back to my BS stack of stu posts to find it quickly (i know there is some kind of 'marking' thingE you can do w/o posting; but i couldn't zing AZ). the end

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
So wait, how old was the ammo you used during the class? Regardless, it's fortunate for you that you're going to use fresh defensive ammo that you've tested through your pistol for proper function BEFORE strapping on and heading out into the rough and tumble world. Right?

Right? :p

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
hey, don't worry, AZXD has already logged in over there and let them know...they are on this now - and it applies for ALL XDms too! (LOL, running gag i got w/AZ in jest).

do keep us posted on WTF actually caused this! i'm commenting so i can go back to my BS stack of stu posts to find it quickly (i know there is some kind of 'marking' thingE you can do w/o posting; but i couldn't zing AZ). the end
If I'd have known it would bug you so much, I'd have bought one years ago ... LOL

The truth is,
You're just jealous to realize you could have had a nice trigger and FO sights for 6 bills :p

Now off to your cave, you non-subscribing, getanxd fanboy :cool:

Keep us posted, John

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
So wait, how old was the ammo you used during the class? Regardless, it's fortunate for you that you're going to use fresh defensive ammo that you've tested through your pistol for proper function BEFORE strapping on and heading out into the rough and tumble world. Right?

Right? :p
John likes to live dangerously :p

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If I'd have known it would bug you so much, I'd have bought one years ago ... LOL

The truth is,
You're just jealous to realize you could have had a nice trigger and FO sights for 6 bills :p

Now off to your cave, you non-subscribing, getanxd fanboy :cool:

Keep us posted, John
but how could i have dug out all that slide material to make it look so cool as that DAMN'd Glock i used to shoot against w/my 92FS...he cheated using it (the glock guy). i was so glad when SA came out with the anti-"Get a Glock" i had to buy one just for the trigger safety [and to get on this forum!]...and now, they(SA) come out w/an 5.25 comp w/near bomar adj rears and fib optics! i have got to get me one!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
but how could i have dug out all that slide material to make it look so cool as that DAMN'd Glock i used to shoot against w/my 92FS...he cheated using it (the glock guy). i was so glad when SA came out with the anti-"Get a Glock" i had to buy one just for the trigger safety [and to get on this forum!]...and now, they(SA) come out w/an 5.25 comp w/near bomar adj rears and fib optics! i have got to get me one!
I've never said anything negative about an XD/XDm ;)

But when you get that 5.25, don't forget to order the 22 conversion ... 10mm ammo is expensive :p

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I've never said anything negative about an XD/XDm ;)

But when you get that 5.25, don't forget to order the 22 conversion ... 10mm ammo is expensive :p
22 conversions are for pansies! elmer keith, go big or go home and practice w/the rounds you're gonna shoot...(kinda in jest, if you like a 22 convesion, go for it - i'd do it for the cheapness factor...AND OP, sorry for your thread jack...let's see if mr 'last word' can hold off - now, i'm thinking of roger rabbit and the "shave and a hair cut..........." bit]

1 - 20 of 75 Posts