Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of electronic ear muffs to use while hunting. I have standard muffs that work great when I'm target shooting, however, I am looking for muffs to use while hunting.

I've been small game hunting the last three weekends and it is starting to get painful. I'm using a 20ga shotgun.

I'm not really looking to spend a ton of money on really expensive muffs. Do any of you know of a decent pair of muffs that might be in the $50 range?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I spent 80 on my Peltor S-6s and it was worth every penny. Lightweight low profile and the sound is like they wern't there when the noise levels are low.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For around your budget (about $15-20 more shipped to your door), look at the Howard Leight Impact Sport Model:

MidwayUSA - Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) Green

These are well-made electronic muffs and welll suited to the range and the woods.

Those will probably be the ones I end up getting. The slim design is a plus. My primary concern is with how much sound the microphones pick up while in the woods. The reviews that I've found for this model seem quite good. A lot of people seem pleased with this model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried the North Dual electronic gun muffler and the Caldwell Es-85. The Es-85 is a pretty good choice. Probably not quite the quality of Peltor but good for the price.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No experience with the North muffs, but with all due respect to bistro...the Caldwell muffs are just pure garbage. They are not well build, the electronics are terrible in terms of amplifying sounds and tend to give out easily, and are generally a poor choice all the way around. $35 down the drain when another $20 can get you a good set of muffs that weren't designed and built by a 3-year old. Sorry to be so harsh about it, but I have repeatedly advised people not to buy the Caldwells even though the price is attractive and time and again I hear back from them that they should have spent a little more and gotten a lot more.

Don't believe me...check out the overwhelmingly BAD reviews on Midway's site.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Pro Ears' electronics are superior to most, in that the sound isn't "clipped" when a shot is fired...only sounds over 70db are suppressed. However, you won't get Pro Ears for under $100. I use Pro Slims, with foam plugs burried deep in my ears.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
>the Caldwell muffs are just pure garbage

Not IMO...the wife and I use ours weekly at the club indoor range, have held up well over the 9 mo. we've owned them. I agree that they don't have great audio quality and would not recommend them for hunting. But for range use they work okay, whether shoot'n 9mm, .45 or 12ga slugs, and are inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
My Remington's do fine and they are el-cheapo. Had to have been less than $25. They amplify the crap out of sound but when the gun goes boom (or even a simple hand-clap) they get quiet. I usually double-plug with them when shooting USPSA just for the extra help.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
main problem with the Caldwell's (and all the different brands that are the same muff with a different label on them) is that they aren't moisture resistant and as soon as you start to sweat on a hot day they'll start to squeal and then the electronics will shutdown, if you're only going to use them on an indoor range or outside on cold days they're a good buy for the money ... I finally broke down and bought the Pro Ears, $250 from Cabellas but they're 33db of protection with the best electronics on the market, these are the first muffs I've worn without earplugs under them in nearly 15 years

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spend the money and Get Walkers Game Ear Muffs or their newest in the ear type.
Been using the muffs for two years and they work very well in the Hunting situation, Just a bit thick and sometimes shooting can be difficult, But they are definatly worth the extra money......Only time I cannot use them is if it's raining hard or the wind is blowing real bad....Only thing I can say "Bad" about them.

Don't scrimp with your hearing, I have bad tinnitus from Nam due to a lot of gun shots.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts